Western hognose questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-03-2018, 11:28 PM   #1
gene22
Western hognose questions

I have an adult pair of western hognose that I keep in separate bins in a 28 qt rack with hot side at 90f. They are great before winter but went off feed. Is this normal? I would like to breed them is brumination required?

Old 03-02-2018, 01:11 AM   #2
Katiashinkle
Hi Gene,

It's quite normal for adult hognoses to go off feed in winter. The daylight hours shorten and the temperatures drop - I think both of these factors serve as signals telling the hognoses it's time to stop feeding and brumate.

As to brumation, I think you'll find that most hognose breeders brumate their stock as it seems to increase fertility/decrease incidence of slugs. I've seen anecdotal evidence of successful clutches sans brumation, but I personally brumate my hogs as it mimics their natural conditions - and because people that have been doing this a lot longer than I have say it yields the best results.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!