Is my western hognose sick? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-13-2018, 12:13 PM   #1
Cfunderburk
Is my western hognose sick?

Hi everyone,
I purchased a baby western hognose back in June, and he arrived healthy. Since then he’s been the perfect little snake. He eats regularly and is pretty active in his enclosure. I feed him a pinky mouse once every 6-7 days with normally no problems (i say normally no problems because he will refuse to eat one day and then will easily eat the next). I’ve read that they should eat every 5-7 days, but 5 days in between feedings seems too soon for him because he will refuse to eat until 6-7 days pass. Anyway, over the past few days I’ve noticed it seems as though he has lost a little weight and I just want to know if it’s because I’m not feeding him as often as I should or if he may be sick. Up until a few days ago he has had a nice rounded body, but now he has two little ridges that stand up on his back. They are only near his “neck” and don’t go all the way down, and I am wondering if this is due to weight loss or dehydration. Since he is eating regularly and on his own schedule I am wondering if he might be sick. I will be taking him to a vet soon but want to hear other opinions. I can’t get to a vet until this hurricane passes .
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2018, 11:27 PM   #2
Cfunderburk
*update*
I did more research and it seems to likely be dehydration. He always has a fresh supply of water and a clean bowl to drink out of. If anyone has tips on getting a snake to drink water let me know.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:41 PM   #3
DISCERN
How big is his cage and what are his temps? Small babies placed in really big cages possibly may not come across the water as easily as being in a smaller cage.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!