male hognose snake not eating - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-14-2018, 01:11 AM   #1
SeraDevin
male hognose snake not eating

i got my albino western hognose snake early in february. he has ALWAYS eaten well for me starting within the first week that i got him. but he has been growing so it got to the point where i was feeding him multiple pinkies in one meal every 4 or 5 days or so. i wanted to try to upgrade him from pinkies to fuzzies so that he didnt have to just eat 3 pinkies every meal, that and i ran out of pinkies for him. but he refuses to eat it. he has eaten one fuzzy in the last 4 or 5 weeks and thats it.

im a new snake owner so im starting to get concerned. ive tried braining the fuzzy to make it more appealing and it didnt work. i tried leaving it in his tank for a few hours and that didnt work. i tried covering his tank for privacy and that didnt work either.

is it because he wasnt ready fo fuzzies yet? or do snakes maybe get fussy after changing where i get the food from?

i originally bought the food from a vendor at the expo i got him from. he never had a problem with it. but i thought it would be simple for me to just buy his new food from a pet supply store near me and he wont eat it.

i would say maybe i should start scenting them but he has never had an issue with frozen thawed mice before. im not sure he was ever fed anything else or anything that would have been scented

i know i heard that males tend to do this i think but is there any way i can fix it? im afraid im becoming a bad snake mom 😣

Old 05-21-2018, 08:54 PM   #2
phoenix-cry
Males do this. Mine in 8 years old and he still sometimes goes on a hunger strike. Just keep tabs of his weight and keep offering. He might be wanting a mate more than food right now

Old 05-21-2018, 09:00 PM   #3
SeraDevin
hes not that old at all. i just got him in feb. as a baby. idk if its normal to want a mate at that young lol but i know getting another hoggie isnt an option ao hopefully that isnt it. im gonna try to see if its just that he doesnt want fuzzies. and still wants pinkies.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:05 PM   #4
phoenix-cry
definitely keep offering pinks to see if it gets him going again but even at a young age male hognose can be very 'on again off again' feeders. Unlike the females who are trashcans.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:08 PM   #5
SeraDevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix-cry View Post
definitely keep offering pinks to see if it gets him going again but even at a young age male hognose can be very 'on again off again' feeders. Unlike the females who are trashcans.
dammit. i knew i should have gotten a female lol. well im gonna try this pinkie out. its so odd because he was such a good eater before. and hes a baby i just want him to grow big and strong 😭😭

Old 05-21-2018, 09:10 PM   #6
phoenix-cry
Male hognose are at times very frustrating, but since they don't get very big anyway they can afford to skip a few meals.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
feeding help, snake, western hognose