What did I get? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-09-2004, 10:48 PM   #1
Missymonkey
What did I get?

I bought this gorgeous pair of hypos from Jim Stelpflug with SW WI reptiles and they laid a clutch of 7 eggs. 1 went bad, but so far 5 have hatched. I got what appears to be 4 hypos and 1 light grey baby. I will try to take a pic tomorrow, but I warn you my camera takes fuzzy closeups. I have no idea what the parents are het for.

I'm thinking it's a ghost? I really have no idea, I suck at genetics and identification. To me it's just a grey corn

any ideas? thanks

Missy

Old 06-10-2004, 08:48 AM   #2
jenn_jeffery
Picture didn't show up...though remember with cornsnakes, it can be hard to tell as babies, unless you know what the parents are. Okeetee babies look nothing like they do as adults, and that could hold true for others....

Do you happen to know the parents genetics?

Old 06-10-2004, 10:35 AM   #3
PythonWallace
Missy, digital cameras take very blurry pictures if there is any kind of movement when you snap it, especially close up. It must be slow shutter speed. Try using a tripod or setting the camera on a hard surface for closeups. If the camera has a delayed shot even better.
Jake

Old 06-12-2004, 10:03 PM   #4
Willis Wildlife Enterprises
Does your grey hatchling look anything like these? If so, it is probably a ghost (these are all ghosts). If so, then you know that both your hypo adults are het amel. The percentages sound right for this as well (hypo het amel X hypo het amel = 3/4 hypo and 1/4 ghost offspring).

Old 06-12-2004, 10:55 PM   #5
cka
uhh Susan...

...I think you mean they'd be het for Anerythrism "A"...Anery A+Hypomelanism=Ghost ;*)

Old 06-13-2004, 06:21 PM   #6
Missymonkey
They do look very similar to what you have pictured!

So they will loose their color then and grow up to be pretty much white colored snakes?

Pretty cool,... though I don't think I'll be keeping them all I haven't the space.

thanks

Old 06-14-2004, 10:32 AM   #7
Missymonkey - No, they won't lose their color. Ghosts can actually have alot of color. Here's a pic of an adult ghost with lots of color.

cka - It's a matter of terminology. Normal het amel = Normal het for anery. The addition of the "for" makes the difference. I always used to name hets as to what they would produce, but was corrected several times to name them as to what gene was het. ie, a normal with this genetics (RrBB) is called het amel (the gene that produces red color is het to NOT produce red color = anery). Now, if I'm still naming hets wrong, I wish everyone will make up their minds! It's confusing enough as it is!!

Old 06-14-2004, 10:35 AM   #8
Sorry! Here's the pic! (Kids distracted me.) Actually 2 ghosts, one with pink and another more standard colored.

Old 06-14-2004, 12:53 PM   #9
Missymonkey
Very nice pic!

Mine look a little more greyish than those do. But who knows what will happen after a few sheds!
thanks

Old 06-14-2004, 12:57 PM   #10
Missymonkey
Ok I had some spare time so I looked up a few pics of ghosts on Richs site. I see what you guys mean about all that color! Seems like a misleading name to me! But corns can be very misleading too.

Everyone has finally hatched and it looks like I have my hands full of corns!!! Now the question is how many and which ones do I really want to keep? Easier said than done!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!