When to retire her to a life of ease? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 01:16 AM   #1
AdamR
When to retire her to a life of ease?

I recently picked up a normal female through a package deal who is at my best guess (according to the info I received from the owner) about 10-11 years old. She is small for her age, 1600g, but has nice muscle tone and seems as healthy as she should be and is eating fine. Before I got her she had been locked several times with a male and does appear to be gravid. Should I retire her after this year? Does anyone know a general age range to stop breeding the older girls?

Old 10-25-2011, 01:21 AM   #2
Orlandoflor
i have a girl who i got from a good freind of mine and she is 14 years old and she is going to breed for me for a long time in the wild they keep breeding untill they die and for a ball python like yours its almost like a teenager in our world or something like that but someone please chip in if im wrong.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:28 AM   #3
hhmoore
I think I would inquire about her breeding history, and consider giving her a break (depending on the answer you get, of course). Her age puts her right in the thick of the then budding morph craze, when a lot of people were breeding the heck out of normal females. I think a year off periodically is probably beneficial to the longevity of the female and her continued reproduction.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
AdamR
I know she did not breed last year for sure but I'm not sure about all the previous years

Old 10-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
rabernet
I know someone who bred a 20 year old female and got a viable clutch from her.

I like to give my girls a year off after two years of clutches. So every three year cycle, I plan to have one year off, two years production. Of course, if the girls aren't interested, then they take their own time off.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:09 AM   #6
Araidia
I have a wc girl that's at least 14yrs old that had a healthy 7 egg clutch this year. She should be just fine breeding as long as she's healthy and a good weight. I only breed my girls every other year so they have plenty of time to recover their stores of nutrients and have a good rest but plenty of people breed them more often and they're fine.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
Montoya
I dont think you have much to worry about for some time. Some girls just don't get that big but produce smaller good clutches consistently. As she gets much older you may notice that her production declines. When that happens, you may want to retire her.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
axeman
I have a female that is 18 now. When I first got her she was 15 and a virgin. That year she was 1600g. She didn't go that year, so I continued to feed her. She bred for me the following season. She laid 6 eggs. She was 2400g that year. Last season she had off, and I am getting her ready for this season. She is one of my best feeders. As long as she shows interest, I will continue to breed her. Hope that helps.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
AdamR
Thanks everyone! I was just wondering if she may be getting too old to breed! Glad to know she has many years to go!

Old 10-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
dumje
Ive read they will live 40 to 50 years...so you have some time

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!