Help! Emergency !sick crested! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-15-2007, 09:20 PM   #1
Kozidragons
Help! Emergency !sick crested!

I have a male about 1.5 years old. I just purchase him from a local pet shop on thursday and when I came home he appeared to have substrate all in his mouth and on his feet. I housed him seperate for quarentine. I took him out and rinsed him off as best as i could and tried to get the substrate out of his mouth before he started trying to bite me. I put him in a different cage with only a paper towel and now he seems very lethargic...almost stumbling at times with his mouth open. I plan on taking him back to the pet store tomorrow..any ideas what could be going on or what to do tonight ?

Old 06-15-2007, 09:58 PM   #2
Playnwifsnot
And this is why personally I dont keep these guys on substrates even when adults. I dont think he is acting this way from getting some substrate in his mouth, but seems more like a health issue that it previously had. Taking him back to the pet store will probably result in the gecko not getting the vet care that it needs. But with that said, there really isnt much you can do without biting the bullet and getting vet care.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:15 PM   #3
ColleenT
VET-VET-VET!!! Gecko is probably impacted and needs help ASAP.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:21 AM   #4
Kozidragons
Thanks everyone. I didn't take him back to the shop but to the vet...It looks neurological. The only thing we could figure is he was climbing and hit himself on the head coming down ( maybe on his stick he liked to climb on the screen lid at times?). We noticed some bruising today on the mid section of his head and while he is now drinking he refuses to eat and already looks skinny and still extremley lethargic. We are going to give him a couple of days and see if it is some swelling and goes down he could get better...if he still refuses to eat and stays the same after a few days we will have to put him down ( I guess the lesser of two evils of starvation) =(. I am heartbroken. I just hope he can pull through. He took two licks of baby food and cgd mixed but doesn't seem extremly alert) Please everyone keep us in your thoughts.

Thanks,
Desiree & Chris

Old 06-17-2007, 08:14 PM   #5
Playnwifsnot
try syringe feeding him if he wont eat on his own. Offer him a baby food CGD mixture and drip it on the tip of his nose or offer it from a spoon infront of him. I would also get it off of the partical substrate and keep the decor on the floor of the tank so that way he doesnt climb high to hide. Hopefully he will pull through.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:21 PM   #6
Kozidragons
Last night we put him in his own 10 gallon with paper towels on the bottom and some hiding places familar from his regular cage. He was drinking off my fingers and took a little baby food and CGD.
This morning we woke up to him gasping ( I don't think he was conscious) and within 15 minutes he passed away. I have since removed all that substrate and all my cresteds are on paper towels only..they actually seem a lot more active. I just wish this wouldn't have happened. We didn't have a necropsy done but the vet said due to the bruising on the head..his actions..and his pupils it appeared to be a head injury of some sort. I think the substrate in the mouth was something completley different..but I think I much prefer the paper towels right now. Thanks for everyones help.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:07 AM   #7
ColleenT
i'm sorry for your loss.

i do not use substrate b/c i am so afraid of impactions.

you can do your own necropsy if you can handle it. you can check the stomach contents..but that is your choice.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:15 PM   #8
Kozidragons
The vet already took him and put him in the freezer to be cremated. I would've but I just didn't think about it. Thank you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!