Inquiry: Mike Welker (Ocotillo Herpetofauna & Invertebrates) - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:35 AM   #11
Suncoast Herpetological
Lady Viper

You need to have you full name in any posts on the BOI or you risk having those posts deleted

Old 01-07-2008, 10:09 AM   #12
Aaron Mattson
HCU is Herp Conservation Unlimited is a new hobbyist organization formed mainly in response to a law that went into effect this year in Texas. The law prohibits "hunting" of herps on all public roads and right of ways in Texas. HCU primary focus is on the rights of the individual to personally collect and captive propagate herps. Additionally HCU opposes mass collection of sensitive species like some turtles and we oppose all destructive means of take such as rock damage and gassing of rattlesnake dens. We do not wish to fight all commercial collection but we do feel that the actions of some commercial collecters have tainted the opinions of all hobbyists, including cative breeders. Therefore HCU states in it's constitution that "we do not support the take of wild animals for the purpose of sales". It has been explained many times to Mike that this statement only means that we do not intend to fight FOR commercial collecting rights. It does not mean HCU wants to fight AGAINST commercial rights. In fact HCU does not even want to involve itself in that aspect of the hobby. HCU was designed by and for personal keepers. We (HCU) wrote our costitution, we know what it means and we have made our interpretaion of OUR OWN WORDS quite clear to Mike yet he still seems to be under the imression that HCU is out to destroy commercial collection and his business. He has spoken his view against HCU on several reptile forums despite the fact that HCU has encouraged him to start his own group for commercial collection and bring that group to the table with HCU and Texas Parks and Wildlife. HCU has never, to my knowledge tried to stop or hinder Mike in any way from starting his own group.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #13
Aaron Mattson
I said:

"We do not wish to fight all commercial collection but we do feel that the actions of some commercial collecters have tainted the opinions of all hobbyists, including cative breeders."

What I meant to say was:

"We do not wish to fight all commercial collection but we do feel that the actions of some commercial collecters have tainted the opinions of wildlife agencies toward all hobbyists, including cative breeders."

Old 01-07-2008, 10:36 AM   #14
LadyViper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Herpetological
Lady Viper

You need to have you full name in any posts on the BOI or you risk having those posts deleted

That's very odd...My sign. is set..I checked my profile can't find the problem.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #15
lanceheads
Pam, I think he means your real name, not Lady Viper

Randal

Old 01-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #16
kmurphy
Quote:
So no, I am not a commercial collector. I do sell wild caught herps, though, so I guess it depends on YOUR definition.
If you're speaking strictly of wild caught animals, my definition would be anyone that collects them to be resold. Whether they went into the field themselves or purchased from those that did.

Quote:
My definition of a commercial collector is someone who goes out all the time and catches every herp they can find to sell it for money.
I agree with the latter part of your statement but still contend that you don't have to be one actually collecting the herps. You and the collector have the same goal.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:57 AM   #17
Dennis Hultman
Quote:

Your signature line doesn't show because of your member status.

Your name is under your username. That works. It's on every post.

Quote:
LadyViper
Pam Roberts

Old 01-07-2008, 11:02 AM   #18
LadyViper
O.K. Mike,

If you say you are not a commercial collector by your definition, then by your definition you are not. By your words you have an acquisition business.

My definition says that a person who collects from the wild for the purpose of selling them is.

What I said about wild caught herps being stressed is true.

What type of warrenty you offer is your business, I have every right to recommend what I think a responsible warrenty.

You actively campaign agaist HCU, I actively campaign for and support HCU. I do not recommend purchasing reptiles from anyone that is not in support of HCU.

Do not threaten me with lawsuits...I have read all your posts on my website and others if you don't like to hear others opinions, quit your own slanderous remarks about HCU.

Everybody wants to sue everybody these days..LOL

Old 01-07-2008, 11:03 AM   #19
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyViper
Signatures only display for paid members. Also, Rich has set it so the "name" field cannot be edited by the user once registered. A PM to him may fix that for you.

Assuming that your name is Pam Roberts as you have in your user title under your user ID, I have no issue.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2008, 11:04 AM   #20
Jim O
Dennis, you beat me to it again...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!