Enough is enough with the classifieds (*or* Why you cannot reply to classified ads) - Page 13 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #121
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by the gecko geek View Post
But what if someone is holding an auction? Now only paid members have the ability to bid?That doesn't seem fair. Some people can't afford to be a paid member.
I like and dislike the auction idea. The infractions mentioned in this thread really aren't much different then what's going on in the auction thread. When you are doing $1 or even $10 increments, these ads are constantly being bumped when it's a high dollar snake. This is kind of bypassing the whole "no bump" policy, especially since auctions work better with higher visibility. I do like the auctions as long as they don't get bumped each time unless the OP/seller uses the classified control panel.

Non-contributing members can still bid, though. There is an example in the BP FS forum now where the seller is taking PM's. Non-contributors can also hold auctions as long as they update the first post.

Also, you can't really say some people can afford to be a contributor if they are partaking in an auction. If they can afford a snake, then they can afford a contribution and choose not to. Nothing wrong with that, but if I want to contribute and can't afford so, I wouldn't be able to purchase a snake/reptile.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #122
Laura Fopiano
It's in human nature to not like change, myself being a creature of habbit I tend to resist it. However, when it comes to classified adds I detest the idea of an add turning into a thread! I won't even open them if they have post's in them.

When did contacting the seller about feeding records and the animals history become such a chore? It is my job as a buyer to do my homework and I find a much better connection with a potential business transaction if I actually do the work and open up the communication away from the add.

This forum has every tool available to us. Stop being so lazy people! Use the forums for discussions on a specific animal, check the BOI for references on a seller or buyer. It's not really that hard.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #123
Matt2979
Personally, I enjoy being able to "chat" in the classifieds...to a point. It's nice to point out discrepancies when someone is flat out misrepresenting their animals, pulling a scam, using stolen pics, to point out that someone is a "Good Guy", etc. I do NOT like when people start griping at a seller about his/her pricing, low-balling, or just being rude in general.

If the latter can't be controlled, I guess we'll have to live with Rich's decision. It's not my favorite idea to see implemented, but it's certainly not the end of the world (or even this site) so I don't understand why anyone is so angry over the change. "Chat" was never the reason the responses were allowed in the first place.

If anyone is just worried about not being able to bump your ad, membership is NOT expensive. Most sites charge as much, or more, to advertise for a month than what this site charges for a full year (which includes a lot more than just the classifieds). It's really not that big of a deal. Even upaid members are allowed to advertise, and you can easily keep your ad near the top without too much effort.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #124
the gecko geek
Never once did I say that the moderators (individually or as a whole) didn't want to do their jobs.
What I said was that the way the situation was handled makes it APPEAR that way. IMO. Not that you guys don't want to do your jobs. I'm simply looking at it from all angles and COULD see why things would appear that way. Why people could pull that card. I am NOT pulling that card.

Just to clear everything up, and so that we are all on the same page, the last paragraph of my last post is MY opinion and thoughts on the matter. And I will ad that I think the whole moderation team does a superb job. Just so there's no confusion about my thoughts about Rich and the rest of the moderators.

I do pay attention. I know it has been discussed openly in this thread. But I'm saying send a notification to users before you cut the cord so to speak. If people knew what was going to happen before it happened things wouldn't be so hectic and people wouldn't get so bent about it. And people freaking out is not your fault. It's theirs.

And no, I'm not out to argue. I'm out to play both sides of the fence. It's just what I do. It's always best to see it from both perspectives. When I first learned about the decision made, I was mad. The day went on, I thought about it, and came to the conclusion that it really didn't affect me other than the fact that I can't post a reply in a classified ad. It's not like my account was terminated because I'm not a paid member.

I see how it works, I see how it doesn't, and that's about it. Any which way you look at it, and like Rich has pointed out numerous times, no decision made will make everyone happy. It's just something we have to deal with.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #125
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharrah View Post
Too funny.....

So tell us, how is it their "job" to be handing out warnings and infractions for replies made in a section that isn't meant for discussion? Do you think they are getting paid to do this? Think of it like this big park where there is an area for dogs and an area not meant for dogs. How would you feel if you volunteered everyday to clean up dog poop in this park and found yourself cleaning more of it in the area not meant for dogs? How would you feel when those in the park told you "well that's your job"? Wouldn't it make more sense to fence off the area not meant for dogs? I don't know about you, but most forums I am on do not allow discussion in the classified ads section and those that do seem to have more problems with it than anything.

I know you say you didn't mean to offend anyone, but I guarantee you did.

To expand. It would be like people who would bring their dogs to the park that live out of the area. They don't pay taxes on the use of the park. Don't pay fees to use the park, then tell the people their they aren't doing their jobs providing a free place for their individual needs. People feel so entitled it is ridiculous.

They like to complain about the condition of the park, use its resources, but when it comes right down to it

Quote:
That doesn't seem fair. Some people can't afford to be a paid member

You want to talk about fair? First and foremost this is a business related site revolving around the community of reptile enthusiasts. People like to use the resources, dictate policy, tell people how they should do their "job" and contribute nothing to the upkeep. How is that for fair?

Old 06-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #126
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Never once did I say that the moderators (individually or as a whole) didn't want to do their jobs. IMO. Not that you guys don't want to do your jobs

Yeah, OK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the gecko geek
I honestly think that the mods are just tired of doing their jobs...

Old 06-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #127
hhmoore
Quote:
Never once did I say that the moderators (individually or as a whole) didn't want to do their jobs.
What I said was that the way the situation was handled makes it APPEAR that way. IMO. Not that you guys don't want to do your jobs. I'm simply looking at it from all angles and COULD see why things would appear that way. Why people could pull that card. I am NOT pulling that card.
And you are FULL OF IT.
What you said, in its entirety.

I highlighted my main point of concern here. I don't mean any offense, just want to throw my POV out there..

It is Rich's site, so therefore he has the responsibility of taking care of it. Making sure everything is running as it should, people play nicely, and so on. By taking the whole replying to posts away from the biggest part of the users, it seems like the easy way out. Plain and simple, it really does. It makes it look like he just doesnt want to waste his time doing part of his job as head honcho of the website.

Take this situation out of fauna and into the real world...
The president runs the USA. Well if the president decided that it was only necessary for those in the military to buy any and all foods, what would happen???

I honestly think that the mods are just tired of doing their jobs...

I don't mean to offend anyone, but this is just how the situation pans out in my eyes.

This isn't the only way to fix this issue..they could just stick to their old methods and hand out infractions and warnings, but they don't want to because they are tired of doing that.

I think that we are going to see the same ads posted at least twice a day because so many people want their ads to be seen, and the only way to keep it on front page is to delete and repost, or hope that a paid member replies to it.

Quote:
Just to clear everything up, and so that we are all on the same page, the last paragraph of my last post is MY opinion and thoughts on the matter. And I will ad that I think the whole moderation team does a superb job. Just so there's no confusion about my thoughts about Rich and the rest of the moderators.
Hmmmm - you started that previous post by stating that was YOUR opinion...and you left little confusion about your thoughts.

Quote:
I do pay attention. I know it has been discussed openly in this thread. But I'm saying send a notification to users before you cut the cord so to speak. If people knew what was going to happen before it happened things wouldn't be so hectic and people wouldn't get so bent about it. And people freaking out is not your fault. It's theirs.
In discussions related to the classifieds - well in advance of the trigger being pulled - it was clearly stated that this would be the fix if the problems continued. That's pretty much advanced warning...the only thing lacking was a specific deadline (lacking because it didn't exist). All a previous notification would have accomplished is more arguing, then more people getting ticked off when the change was made despite their stated opinions.
This wasn't a decision that was up for a vote, but people would have been intent on changing the outcome. Rich has been doing this for a while, seen the way people react to various approaches, and has learned from past mistakes. You clearly don't agree with his approach; but, having been around to see this scenario before, I think he made the right call. But then, you think I should just quit anyway; so my opinion probably means as much to you, as yours does to me right now.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #128
the gecko geek
Harold. Look at the very first highlight you made. The second sentence just to clarify. POV stands for point of view. Someone's point of view is not their opinion. It's is THE WAY THEY SEE SOMETHING. Someone can see something from MULTIPLE POINTS OF VIEW. And someone's POV is not someone's opinion. Everything you highlighted shows my POV. Not my opinion.

I neither agree or disagree with Rich's decision. I stated before how I felt about it. It doesn't really bother me. He did what he had o do. Like anyone that values something they have created would. And when did I say to quit? All I said was if you can't handle it then quit. I never said, "Hey Harold, you should quit." Don't try and turn it into something its not. That is just childish.

And you are wrong. Your opinion actually does matter to me quite substantially. If it didn't why would I even bother to post in this thread? I would have kept it to myself if I didn't want anyone's opinion. And I will share on my grandparents grave that the above statement is true. So in reality, your opinion is worth more to me than mine is to you. Or at least that's the way it seems.

All i was doing was putting another POV out there to look at. Maybe that was the wrong thing to do. I don't really care about that though. I just want everyone to be on the same page.
Is that understandable?

Old 06-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #129
the gecko geek
Sorry, sware on my grandparents' grave

Old 06-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #130
hhmoore
Your point of view cannot be separated from your opinion so easily...by stating it was your point of view, you are declaring it as the way you see things (which might as well be called your opinion) - not how other people might view them; but, even if I bought that excuse, it doesn't change the reading of the other bolded statements.
Anybody that knows me recognizes that I'm poking at you, and disecting your statements, to show the inaccuracies...if I was offended (or worse, angry), I would remove myself until I was sure I wouldn't cross lines. Your comments didn't bother me nearly as much as when you tried to say you didn't make them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!