Info Ashley Caspillo-SakaraGT4/Sakara *Possible Buyer Beware!* - Page 69 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-25-2010, 04:58 AM   #681
SakaraGT4
Rick... It was 2 separate times... I had bought aspen 2 separate times and both times it came with mites... about a year apart... NONE in between... The mites that were here in Spet. were on Kyle's snakes... We checked my snakes in the separate room and there were none, but we STILL treated them anyway... When we have treated it's been once, then again a week later... then a month later... That's how I was told to use the Nix treatment when I first treated...

Again... They did not re-infest after treatment... I was apparently dumb in attempting to try aspen again about a year after we got mites from aspen before... I will never use aspen again... I understand that there can be mites no matter what bedding you use, but the only times we had mites were after buying aspen from shows...

Old 12-25-2010, 05:03 AM   #682
rc625
Merry Christmas and thank you for your service!

Old 12-25-2010, 05:11 AM   #683
Elizabethlea27
If you want to be sarcastic on the BOI and make yourself look bad, go ahead. I was trying to be civil.

Old 12-25-2010, 05:20 AM   #684
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SakaraGT4 View Post
Rick... It was 2 separate times... I had bought aspen 2 separate times and both times it came with mites... about a year apart... NONE in between... The mites that were here in Spet. were on Kyle's snakes... We checked my snakes in the separate room and there were none, but we STILL treated them anyway... When we have treated it's been once, then again a week later... then a month later... That's how I was told to use the Nix treatment when I first treated...

Again... They did not re-infest after treatment... I was apparently dumb in attempting to try aspen again about a year after we got mites from aspen before... I will never use aspen again... I understand that there can be mites no matter what bedding you use, but the only times we had mites were after buying aspen from shows...

Ummm, Aspen does sometimes come with mites, I agree. But not snake mites. They are wood mites, and just as easy to get rid of. Treat the bedding when you get it, not after you put it in the cages. I've had wood mites from bedding many times. but never once encountered a snake mite. Sure it was the bedding? Snake mites just don't live long, or infest, unless they have blood to feed upon.

Ryan, sorry you got dragged into this. I'm sure your mind needs to be on other things, like staying alive, instead of the stress this crap is bringing. Regardless of this, I hope you're having a safe and Merry Christmas, as best as you can anyway.

Old 12-25-2010, 05:21 AM   #685
crotalusadamanteus
Should read, "but never once encountered a snake mite in my bedding"

Old 12-25-2010, 05:30 AM   #686
Elizabethlea27
Quote:
Again... They did not re-infest after treatment....
You were not so sure of that in your PM to me when you apologized for the mites and acknowledged mites could be lingering at your house. Refer to the screenshot I posted of your pm to me.

And btw if you think Kyle's snakes have them now, then there is no way you can say your snakes don't, for sure, until Kyle's snakes are mite-free too, right?. You live in a carpeted house like I do, I know how easy it is for snake mites to travel on carpet.

And btw the mites I got from you were snake mites, not wood mites. I looked it up and got help on RTB.net.. and I have seen enough of them now to definitely confirm it.

Old 12-25-2010, 05:53 AM   #687
sally-dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed hummel View Post
can you post the vets report?

as a side note, if you went to all the trouble to keep it separate from your other snakes during quarantine, why would you then have it with other snakes when you moved?
The veterinarian office(s?) that conducted the necropsies and sent out whatever pathologies should have hard copies of the results on the animals' file. All you have to do is call them and request copies of the needed info. This would clear up a lot and it is as simple as stopping by the office.

I'm having a hard time understanding why this was not done in the first place, but no one has asked why the vet can't make some copies of this much needed info. It would clear up a lot. If this were happening to me, I would call the vet immediately to get copies of my animals' necropsy reports. If she had done that right from the get go, perhaps we wouldn't be on page sixty-something of this thread.

Most places keep records of clients (even if they have not returned since the initial visit) for a year or more.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:11 AM   #688
sally-dog
Also, if you read Dave and Tracy Barker's report on the life cycle of snake mites, it states:

Quote:
the complete life cycle of the snake mite can be completed in 13 to 19 days. At cooler temperatures, some individuals may live up to 40 days.
This explains why the mites did not show up for 3-4 weeks until arrival. The snakes may have had eggs on them or the parasite load was not large enough to be seen, initially. One gravid mite is all it takes to infest a collection. If the snakes are not treated constantly and mites are present, they will show up. 20-30 days is a perfectly acceptable time period for mites to show up.

I myself do not treat newly acquired snakes for mites with chemicals immediately upon arrival. They are soaked to rehydrate them, and soaking them will reveal any adult mites on the animal as they drown in the water. They are put on newspaper or paper toweling so I can watch for any adult mites should they have any. I won't expose them to chemicals if they aren't needed,especially if they are stressed from shipping. However, all of the aspen used for my established collection is treated with PAM or something similar. I keep new snakes on the paper until they have a 2-3 good bowel movements.

I want to point out that I have had 5 different snakes shipped to me by 5 different people at various times this past year. None of them showed up with mites, and my latest acquisition was in November, and it is still separated- with no sign of mites or other illness.

Here is the link to the report by VPI:
http://www.vpi.com/publications/the_...of_snake_mites

Old 12-25-2010, 06:15 AM   #689
sally-dog
Oh, and Merry Christmas.
Thank you for serving our country, Ryan. I'm sorry you have to deal with this.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:33 AM   #690
ed hummel
Quote:
Ed... I don't have the path reports... they were on my Hard Drive, BUT they are posted in the Deans Reptiles thread...
so after that snake came back as dying from IBD and then being in close contact to a couple of your other snakes in your collection during the move did you still continue to buy/sell snakes putting others (people and snakes) at risk?

as far as the path reports go i admit i know nothing of the dean thread so could you possibly either post the link to said thread or even better yet copy and paste the report from there into this thread? as another poster mentioned im sure you could also get a new copy for your new hard drive from the vet? they probably back up they're hard drives in case of it going bad so as not to loss such things.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
ibd