RI, mites, and ???? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-07-2006, 04:02 PM   #1
SPJ
RI, mites, and ????

I got this boa as an adoption which is going to turn out to be a massive rescue undertaking to save it's life. Not only does it have mites and an RI, but it has been in this same position ALL DAY LONG. Even when I take the top off, it does not move.

The vet can't see it until Monday afternoon.

A little background on the snake from the person I got it from. There was a point when he first got them that the snakes were kept at 50 degrees for a short period. The warmest any of them have been in the past few months is room temp (maybe 75 degrees).

I have the temps up to 95 on half the cage for them now and the humidity is at 60%.

I am really worried this one will not make it until Monday and the staring up makes me wonder just what else it has. The boas I took in were housed together.

They are not in contact with my animals but even the fact that I put them in my snake room while I set up QT areas for them makes me worry about my other snakes.

I REALLY need some help with this.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2006, 04:07 PM   #2
Bill & Amy
You can definitely tell by the mouth being opened that it is having problems breathing. I think the position it is staying in may just be related to the RI. It may just be as simple as it is the most comfortable position to be in with the strain to breathe. I would definetely put full quarantine procedures in place (changing clothes and showering after handling etc). I can't remember the exact temps for boas with RI's but I think you can even go higher. Hope it makes it!!

Old 04-07-2006, 04:12 PM   #3
SPJ
Well dammit. Let's add mouthrot as well!!!!!!

How can you let an animal get this bad!?!?!

Old 04-07-2006, 04:36 PM   #4
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
How can you let an animal get this bad!?!?!
people are stupid
people don't care
people are cheap
people suck

Old 04-07-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
hhmoore
Let me rephrase one statement, for the purpose of clarification: I should not have made the blanket statement that people are cheap...in fact, I understand that there is a huge market for young white girls, and apparently they go for top dollar . What I actually meant was that many people are too cheap to take a reptile to the vet.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:44 PM   #6
Laura Fopiano
Wow Steve

If that snake makes it and receives treatment, I would still keep it in full quarantine for at least 6 months. Sorry to hear about this as it really makes me sick........

Good luck with the snake.

Old 04-08-2006, 09:24 AM   #7
Cat_72
Aw jeez Steve.....I don't have much info to help you out, but I'll wish you and that poor snake the best of luck. Kudos to you for taking on another needy critter.....just be careful you don't jeopardize the rest of your critters.

Man, people that do crap like that tick me off. If you don't want to take care of them, why the have them?????

Old 04-08-2006, 03:42 PM   #8
SPJ
Thanks everyone. I hope the male pulls thru.
Here is one of the females (I took in a group of 4 snakes).
She is sooooo sweet natured considering she has fresh rat bites all down her back and never saw heat until she came here.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2006, 03:57 PM   #9
jglass38
Steve, I hope they make it for you. People are stupid...You are doing a great thing for them. Best of luck!

Old 04-08-2006, 05:09 PM   #10
pasam
I owuld suggest a low humidity for the one with RI. Some people suck! Good luck with him

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!