Dwarf/Super Dwarf Retic Questions! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
Konotashi
Dwarf/Super Dwarf Retic Questions!

I've always been fascinated and admired reticulated pythons' beauty, but thought I'd never be able to own one, simply due to their size. Then I discovered the existence of D/SD retics, and my dream of possibly owning one lives!

I just have a few questions. Since they're long snakes, rather than just massive beasts (like Burms or anacondas), approximately how much would a retic weigh at 6 feet? 12 feet? They're not a robust snake, so I can't really compare them to other snakes of the same length....

Also, when a D/SD retic reaches maturity (size-wise), what do you feed them? Small rabbits, or several large rats? They don't look like they'd be able to eat very large prey - they're just LONG.

As far as what I've read, everything else about the dwarfs seems to be the same as with the normals, aside from size.
Any pointers you guys could give me would be a huge bonus, though!

Thank you in advance!

Old 06-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #2
Konotashi
Anyone?

Also, do dwarfs come in blonde/caramel?

Old 06-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
hadenglock
Keep in mind that TRUE dwarf retics do not have color morphs, The ones that do are crosses with mainland retics so we are still talking about a 12-16ft animal, nothing like the true jampea dwarfs that only max out at 8ft (females). The problem most people have with the true dwarfs are that they lack the oranges, purples, and reds that mainland retics have. Dwarfs are more silver and gray with mottled tones of color.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konotashi View Post
I just have a few questions. Since they're long snakes, rather than just massive beasts (like Burms or anacondas), approximately how much would a retic weigh at 6 feet? 12 feet? They're not a robust snake, so I can't really compare them to other snakes of the same length....
At 6ft, a SD will weigh in the range of 3-7lbs depending on how much you (over)feed them. They're super wire-y so they burn threw food fast. Mine will be looking food two to three days after they eat.

At 6ft a Dwarf will weigh in the 9lb range, but will keep growing, where as the SD would be done at 6ft for males and females.

At 12ft a SD... well... 'Nuff said. lol

At 12ft, a Dwarf will weigh in the 20lb mark, and would, under normal circumstances and a typical Dwarf, be "done" growing at or before this point in length.

Quote:
Also, when a D/SD retic reaches maturity (size-wise), what do you feed them? Small rabbits, or several large rats? They don't look like they'd be able to eat very large prey - they're just LONG.
Dwarf; a 2-3lb rabbit every 2-3 weeks is what mine eat.

SD; a lb-2lb rabbit every week is what mine eat.

Quote:
As far as what I've read, everything else about the dwarfs seems to be the same as with the normals, aside from size.
Any pointers you guys could give me would be a huge bonus, though!

Thank you in advance!
They're pretty much the same as a mainland. They have the same feeding response, they have the same misconstrued attitude (90% don't bite or anything) They have the same temp and humidity requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadenglock View Post
Keep in mind that TRUE dwarf retics do not have color morphs, The ones that do are crosses with mainland retics so we are still talking about a 12-16ft animal, nothing like the true jampea dwarfs that only max out at 8ft (females). The problem most people have with the true dwarfs are that they lack the oranges, purples, and reds that mainland retics have. Dwarfs are more silver and gray with mottled tones of color.
Not true.

Goldenchilds and genetic stripes are dwarf locale morphs as well as one or two others that are escaping me at the moment. I'm pretty sure it's the orange ghost, and that's just the Dwarf's.

SD's are where the Anery's (And maybe axanthics, which have yet to be proven last I checked) come from.

Also, a Jamp female will get around 12ft, where as males will be in the 8ft area. It's why some people say jamps aren't "dwarfs" just "a little smaller" seeing as the average mainland isn't 20ft, but more in the 16ft area for a female, and 14ft for a male.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
Utta
Quote:
Anyone?

Also, do dwarfs come in blonde/caramel?
The answer isn't going to be the one you're looking for.

Yes, HOWEVER, they're going to be around 25% dwarf. Which means it's still going to be a 14ft snake, weighing around 40-60lbs.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
Konotashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utta View Post
The answer isn't going to be the one you're looking for.

Yes, HOWEVER, they're going to be around 25% dwarf. Which means it's still going to be a 14ft snake, weighing around 40-60lbs.
That's actually a lot lighter than I thought they'd be.

I've been around burms, which are obviously very thick snakes, so I was trying to sort of guesstimate how much a retic would weigh based on a burm without really comparing the two (if that makes sense at all). I would have guessed a 14 ft retic would weigh at least 100 lbs. or more. Then again, I'm terrible at guesstimating....

I think I could handle a 40-60 lb. snake with proper safety precautions. (After I get a lot more experience with smaller snakes, of course). I don't want to dive in head first and get a very large, powerful, intelligent snake right off the bat and then be like, "What have I done?!"

Old 06-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
Utta
Quote:
That's actually a lot lighter than I thought they'd be.

I've been around burms, which are obviously very thick snakes, so I was trying to sort of guesstimate how much a retic would weigh based on a burm without really comparing the two (if that makes sense at all). I would have guessed a 14 ft retic would weigh at least 100 lbs. or more. Then again, I'm terrible at guesstimating....

I think I could handle a 40-60 lb. snake with proper safety precautions. (After I get a lot more experience with smaller snakes, of course). I don't want to dive in head first and get a very large, powerful, intelligent snake right off the bat and then be like, "What have I done?!"

Most people over feed the crap out of their burms. They're not supposed to be 12ft and 100lbs for a male. They're not supposed to be 16ft and 150-200lbs for a female. That's an obese burm.

Retics are active. That means they're going to be more lean than a burm.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!