What is so difficult about sending an email - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors   Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds  Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 
 
  Do you want to be able to bump and highlight your classified ads? Click here!

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #21
Shadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
For clarification - my last statement was not really about a call upon receipt...I've run into a few people that won't do anything by email (though they'll advertise online, and post an email address) other than to instruct interested parties to call them. My dislike of talking on the phone aside, I like email because it provides a record of the details. If a person/business doesn't want my money because I'm not interested in calling them, I can usually find another one that does.
I wholeheartedly agree, and I hate talking on the phone. I won't deal with someone who wants phone conversation only in the beginning stages of a deal. What can be done via phone that can't be done via email? I also like to have something in writing. No thanks, I'll shop elsewhere if they try to saddle me with that ultimatum.

I try to email or call as soon as I have the package opened and verify that the animal(s) is/are alive. I know how much I stress until I hear something I shipped got there okay, so I try to let senders know as soon as I am physically able. I had something happen recently where animals arrived and I only had time to put them into Q tubs and bolt out the door, no time to contact the sender. I did contact them later in the day about them once I got back home, but I felt horrible about it being so late.
 
Old 08-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #22
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Sometimes there are reasons people don't/can't initiate contact in that time, though (as has already been mentioned). I've had a lot of people tell me their spouse or S.O. accepts the package and brings it inside...but it isn't opened (or the animal isn't examined) until they get home from work.
It seems some folks are combining LIVE ARRIVAL of a critter with the HEALTH AND HAPPINESS of a critter. They are in fact two totally separate issues and have nothing to do with one another.

As a seller with a LIVE ARRIVAL guarantee, I HAVE to KNOW the package has not been sitting out in the elements for hours on end. HEALTH AND HAPPINESS with critter can be established at a later time. I most certainly am not asking a buyer to make a decision on overall HEALTH AND HAPPINESS with the critter in two hours. STRICTLY LIVE ARRIVAL within 2 hours.
 
Old 08-05-2009, 05:18 PM   #23
timebider
I am deeply ashamed to confess my guilt: once (only once!) I did not notify a seller that my snakes had arrived until something like 9:00 p.m. (they got there at 10:00 a.m.). Here's why: after receiving the package, I double-checked my setups, unpacked and looked each snake over, and settled them in. I was literally ON MY WAY to the computer to send an e-mail about their arrival in good condition when the power went out. I'm with Harald - I utterly despise using the phone for any reason whatsoever - but, knowing firsthand the gut-wrenching angst some of us experience when shipping critters, I would have called anyway if not for the fact that my phone also runs off electricity.

So why not use my cell phone? The battery was dead and I had not yet replaced the car charger (I also utterly despise, and avoid at all costs, going into any store that does not purvey fauna, supplies for fauna, or books). I slunk around feeling guilty for a couple hours until I had to go somewhere. By the time I got home early that evening, I had to make dinner and deal with a sick kid, and the whole thing completely slipped my mind until I finally got on my computer and saw the message from the seller asking if they'd arrived. I felt like a complete chump, but there was really no way to avoid the circumstances. So, a little benefit of the doubt is a good thing.

(That said I confess to also once badgering a buyer about whether his critter had arrived yet, but I was polite about it and honest that I'm a worrier and it was my first time shipping a reptile. He was very cool about it.)
 
Old 08-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #24
Mooing Tricycle
I feed when stuff gets here sometimes. No biggie there, imho.
 
Old 08-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #25
Tiger Lilly
I'm one that will shoot an email as soon as the snake arrives, for a few of reasons:
1. I'm usually as excited as a kid on Christmas morning & can't wait to let the seller know;
2. I DO want the seller to know it at least arrived on time;
3. I consider it a common courtesy & would expect the same when I start selling;
4. My computer is always on when I'm home, so it's not a big deal anyway.

I am also another one who HATES having to use the phone, so email is my bff!
 
Old 08-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #26
KelliH
No news is good news IMO. I always let the seller know when the animal arrives safely, but not everyone does. It's a courtesy, not a requirement.
 
Old 08-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #27
MedusaCoils
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap View Post
It seems some folks are combining LIVE ARRIVAL of a critter with the HEALTH AND HAPPINESS of a critter. They are in fact two totally separate issues and have nothing to do with one another.
In my opinion, which may not be worth much, this isn't fact, but an opinion. That's just the way you feel. I don't draw that distinction, between Alive and Healthy. In my opinion, a sick snake is just as bad, if not worse, then a dead one. What if the illness is contagious and could spread to rest of my collection?

I also, won't do business with a person who offers, only, a live arrival guarantee. If you can't stand behind your animals, for a period of time, after it's sold, then you aren't worth my time or money. Granted, there are exceptions to this rule, like out of egg sales, etc. But, this is a different topic, for a different day, for a different thread.

As I have said in my previous post, I agree, a timely Email should be sent. I'm not saying that a buyer should wait hours, before sending it. I'm just saying that I don't agree with requiring an Email, immeadiately upon arrival. I'm sorry, but I am going to have an opportunity to look over my new snake, make sure it is set up properly and is healthy before I do anything else.

Happiness, is a different story. I don't know if snakes feel the same emotions as we and if they do, would they actually feel happy, after a bumpy, stinky, journey, in a dark box. I seriously doubt it.

As I have mentioned before, this is my opinion and based on my own experiences.

Wayne
 
Old 08-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #28
jglass38
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH View Post
No news is good news IMO. I always let the seller know when the animal arrives safely, but not everyone does. It's a courtesy, not a requirement.
I disagree. No news could mean that the buyer forgot about the shipment and the animal could be sitting outside in the driveway in the hot sun. For me it's a requirement to let me know and I reserve the right to not sell an animal to people who choose not to comply with my requirements.
 
Old 08-06-2009, 03:09 PM   #29
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedusaCoils View Post
In my opinion, which may not be worth much, this isn't fact, but an opinion. That's just the way you feel. I don't draw that distinction, between Alive and Healthy. In my opinion, a sick snake is just as bad, if not worse, then a dead one. What if the illness is contagious and could spread to rest of my collection?
Where my TOS is concerned it is not an opinion, it is a fact they are two separate things.

First, I have a LIVE ARRIVAL GUARANTEE that requires a phone call/email acknowledging receipt of the package within 2 hours.

That protects me from people who were not home and the package sits outside for hours. Call me 4 or 5 hours after delivery on a 95 degree day or a 10 degree day about a DOA or a stolen package.... well you are SOL. You should have been there to accept the damn package. It is not like it was not a mutually agreed upon shipping day.

Second, I have a HEALTH GUARANTEE that is completely separate and has nothing to do with the LIVE ARRIVAL GUARANTEE and is much longer than 2 hours, lol.

My TOS was written first and foremost for my protection. I dont mean to sound like a dick, but if people dont like it, then dont buy from me. I honestly dont care. The whole money side of this hobby is far and away the aspect I hate dealing with and dread the most. I plain hate the financial side. Its a necessary evil at best for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedusaCoils View Post
Happiness, is a different story. I don't know if snakes feel the same emotions as we and if they do, would they actually feel happy, after a bumpy, stinky, journey, in a dark box. I seriously doubt it.
I was not talking about whether the snake was happy or not, lol, but whether the buyer was happy with the snake or not.
 
Old 08-06-2009, 04:55 PM   #30
MedusaCoils
Mr. Shrap (Sammy),

I'm sorry, I'm not referring to you personally. I realize that you have your own TOS set up, for your customers to follow, for your protection. Something everyone should have. I apologize if you think I am directing my comments and opinions, AT YOU. This is not my intention. I am speaking generally and from my own limited experiences.

Also, the Happiness thing. You put "Health" and "Happiness", in the same sentence, which I in turn, took as you referring them both to the snake. That's my bad!

Wayne
 

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting back into herps...is breeding Uros still really difficult? Mitosis Other Lizards Discussion Forum 2 03-25-2008 12:12 AM
Delta Dash - Making things difficult jglass38 Shipping 10 09-10-2005 06:48 PM
Difficult Questions... Seamus Haley FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum 119 02-05-2005 08:50 PM
Sending Old Men To War cavu Just For Laughs 1 12-10-2004 07:17 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:47 AM.







TESTING!
Fauna Top Sites


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.05168796 seconds with 12 queries
Content copyrighted 2002-2018, FaunaClassifieds, LLC