Petco refuses to sell feeders??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #1
HyderHouseHerps
Petco refuses to sell feeders???

I don't know if this is the right places for this, but I'm baffled. I went into a local Petco today to buy a lizard for one of my baby candoia to eat and they REFUSED to sell it to me because it was a feeder!
How can a store do that, when they sell frozen pinkies, mice, feeder fish, etc??? Has anyone else encountered this before? I won't shop there again, at least not at this one!

Old 08-07-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
hhmoore
The national chains don't sell live "feeders" - try to buy a mouse sometime, lol. I'm not sure how they justify selling "feeder fish", when they won't sell a lizard for the same purpose (I can sort of see how they would cave to the issue of not selling warm furries as food, though I don't agree with the decision).
Then again, I don't know why you would have that discussion with them...unless you were trying to get it for cheaper because of its intended use, or you got questioned about why you kept coming in to buy small lizards.

Your best bet is to find a mom & pop shop.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
HyderHouseHerps
Well I just think it's odd that they sell all albino mice and have all their rats separated by size (S, M, L) when they claim they don't sell live feeders. I've also seen an employee at this very store knowingly sell a customer 1 mouse as a feeder. He was an obvious regular and I had a brief conversation with him about herpetology.
I'm just glad I wasn't in a pinch for a feeder, or I wouldn't have been laughing and shaking my head as I walked out.
I filed a complaint for discrimination against snakes! lol

Old 08-08-2009, 01:10 AM   #4
jglass38
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
The national chains don't sell live "feeders" - try to buy a mouse sometime, lol. I'm not sure how they justify selling "feeder fish", when they won't sell a lizard for the same purpose (I can sort of see how they would cave to the issue of not selling warm furries as food, though I don't agree with the decision).
Then again, I don't know why you would have that discussion with them...unless you were trying to get it for cheaper because of its intended use, or you got questioned about why you kept coming in to buy small lizards.

Your best bet is to find a mom & pop shop.
Petsmart won't sell live feeders, but Petco has never had a problem with it. I have bought feeders at many different Petco stores. Petsmart makes you sign an adoption contract for any rodents.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:55 AM   #5
hhmoore
I thought Petco stopped sales of feeder rodents a while back....of course, I don't know WHY I thought that

Old 08-08-2009, 03:34 AM   #6
dimperdoo
I'm certain our local Petco discourages feeder sales (although they do have f/t mice, etc.) But, I don't know if it's verboten.

I may have to wonder aloud next time I'm in there...

Old 08-08-2009, 06:43 AM   #7
Kiote_9
The Petco here is very happy to sell feeder rodents. No paperwork for the purchase. It's going to die and they don't care.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
Miss Tuniwha
Most Petco's still sell feeder rodents. The reason they would know her intentions with a small lizard, is with anything other then fish or feeder rodents, they make you fill out a form regarding the animal and such. They usually also ask basic questions about it. It is part of the employees job.

You COULD always befriend someone there.. the employee can chose to sell it to you. *shrugs* I know I sold anoles to a lady every week for that reason, but I was the only one that would, and if the boss would have found out, I would have had to "play dumb" about it. lol

As Harald said, a mom and pop shop would be your best bet.. or just ordering "feeders" online?

and Petsmart does NOT sell feeder rodents (and the one here also refuses to sell frozens).. They tried to lecture me .... .. we had some words.. ... and they werent nice :P

Old 08-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #9
HyderHouseHerps
Yea you are right about petsmart. I went there one time for mice and they were $8!! I do usually order my feeders lizards online, i just have one last baby getting adjusted to pinkies and he's being stubborn this week. Won't take scented, wouln't take a f/t gecko so my next step was a live one and my last gecko got out on me the other day and I can't find it in my snake room lol. I am going to just order some more.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:46 PM   #10
UB1970
The Petco by me knowingly sells feeders. I have been in there getting mice and had kids comment on me getting pet mice. While the store employee and myself just stare at each other and say nothing, just kind of laugh. Petsmart by has been selling Artic Mice, (frozen) for a couple of years now but nothing alive as a feeder.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!