Strictly aesthetics - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-05-2006, 01:37 AM   #1
hhmoore
Strictly aesthetics

I don't want to fuel the controversy over hybrids, or instigate a heated discussion (dispute) about ethics, lifespan, congenital anomolies, etc...
just wondering what people thought about the LOOK of the wall? I am unable to post pics from this computer, so that part will have to wait for morning (I figured it would give the night owls a project to help pass the time, lol. I could make it easy and tell where to look, but what fun would that be?)

Old 11-05-2006, 03:00 AM   #2
Clay Davenport
It's an oddity, but in my opinion it's ugly as hell. Many seem to like it though, I just can't see it. Regardless of the lack of aesthetic improvement on the parent species, it in and of itself just isn't a good looking animal as far as I'm concerned.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:35 PM   #3
hhmoore
25 views, and only 1 comment?

Could it be that none of you have opinions? that nobody knew what the wall looked like (and didn't feel like looking, or couldn't find pictures)? I'll admit that I came across these in an unrelated search, then found nothing when I looked for them specifically.
From exoticsbynature.com's pics from Tampa
(http://www.exoticsbynature.com/daytona06.html), the wall
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
starwarsdad
Interesting, I suppose, but the overwhelming question in my mind is why?

I just don't get hybrids. What has been gained by this? Are we trying to make snakes and other herps into dogs?

Old 11-05-2006, 05:55 PM   #5
Snaketails
i like the look of the wall! i like his/her patterning they remind me of fire.
what breeds are it's parents?
pen

Old 11-05-2006, 07:06 PM   #6
Mokele
I actually think it's quite pretty, what with those curly marks all along the sides. I'm also quite amazed it even exists; given the biogeographical history, the two species haven't shared an acestor for 50 million years. The implications for how snakes evolve over time are actually quite interesting.

Mokele

Old 11-06-2006, 01:16 AM   #7
ravensgait
Penny that is a cross between a Woma and a Ball Python.

I have no problem with hybrids and I hope this thread doesn't become a discussion on Hybrids .

Any who I think it is interesting looking but doesn't make me go WOW.. Randy

Old 11-06-2006, 01:54 AM   #8
hhmoore
It won't be going there, Randy. This is strictly about the looks of the animal - if somebody wants to discuss something else, they can make a new thread of it (or I will do it for them)

Old 11-06-2006, 02:37 AM   #9
Clay Davenport
Well, the more I look at the animal makes me sort of rethink my original position. "Ugly as hell" I think was a little too strong.
While I still do not find it to be a beautiful specimen, it is unique and has a certain interesting look about it.
I suppose I do have a problem forming a completely unbiased opinion due to my own personal feelings toward the womas. They are without a doubt one of my most favorite snakes to work with, both in personality and looks. When I look at the wall (which seriously needs a better name) I can't help but compare it to a woma, in which case to me it is a significant step backward in the aesthetics department.

Instead I tried to look at it again and imagine this look was a new codom morph of the ball and try to think what my opinion of it would be then.
It's still not nearly as nice looking as many of the actual mutations of the ball, but in that light I don't think it is butt ugly.

I prefer the look of the ball x blood hybrid, if comparing the two. However, in that case the resulting offspring displayed a much smaller degree of variance in pattern from a regular ball.

There is one question that keeps coming to my mind though. I just wonder if that snake is het albino and Kevin is keeping that a secret for now. I just can't help thinking that if the cross was going to be made, why not use an albino instead of a normal ball to jump right to albino walls in the next generation without having to introduce additional ball blood to dilute the pattern. That's what I would have done.
Just something that makes me go hmmmm.

As a side note, I think I've done pretty well keeping on topic for a known hybrid opponent. I keep hearing this voice saying "Luke, I am your father".... and something about joining the darkside that I can't make out.

Old 11-06-2006, 02:42 AM   #10
hhmoore
Personally, I think it is kinda neat looking, although I don't understand why it was done.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!