"Bored"...? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2006, 10:23 PM   #1
Linz M
"Bored"...?

Nimbus is bored. I've decided that I'm not over-analyzing these simple little creatures, but that he's truly bored. He has woken me up at least 5 times in the last week scratching/chewing (?) at the corner of his door....anyone else have experiences with "bored" leopard geckos? Now I'm worrying that the ones in the racks might secretly be "bored" too, but that I'm just not aware of it....

"Nimmie" is exceptionally curious & gregarious for a Leo. In fact, although he is one of the few I've actually named, Nimbus also actually comes when called with greater reliability than my cat (I'm not kidding...its quite embarrasing...) He is one of 4 special herps in a large custom display case in my bedroom. The others are in the "pet room" in other racks/cages.

Initially, I thought his "habitat" would be too large for him -- its rather huge for 1 leopard gecko on its own and I thought it might stress him out....But the black melamine enclosing it seems to give him a feeling of security and he's been quite content for the last 6 months....until NOW. Nimmie's got a beautifully maintained humid hide, a snazzy rock-cave with dual entrances that he has disappointingly designated as his toilet (at least he's neat, I suppose), a log-hide, and as of yesterday, an ultra-modern climbing structure with a hiding cave, fake-moss, and multiple climbing limbs that was NOT exactly cheap!

The other geckos at the Best Western are content with their simple lives while those at the Ritz Carlton are demanding room-service on the hour, every hour....any ideas what is going on here? The rest of them are simple little things that are quite content with a couple hides and a couple food/water bowls. I think he can perhaps smell one of his girlfriends in the room diagonally below him, but if the geckos in the racks are fine with that kind of proximity, this can't be the only thing provoking him to throw a rock-star tantrum every night....what do you all think?

Room service needs to run from 6AM to Midnight. This ain't no 7-11!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nimmie1.JPG (30.4 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Nimmie2.JPG (41.4 KB, 99 views)