FaunaAuction.com?? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

View Poll Results: Is setting up a FaunaAuction.com worthwhile?
YES! I will pay for a quality site! 40 83.33%
NO! There are enough auctions out there already. 8 16.67%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 06:52 PM   #31
TheVipersHouse
chris your deffinitly missing alot of links that are all over the home page

Old 05-06-2003, 06:56 PM   #32
WebSlave
Heck Shawn, are you sure you are talking about ReptileAuction.com? I see 6 auctions by you on ReptiBid.com but none on ReptileAuction.com.

I was just looking at the auction software package that ReptiBid.com is based on just a few minutes ago. Looks like a nice package. What is it about that auction that is not to your liking that would make you consider another one instead?

Old 05-06-2003, 07:02 PM   #33
TheVipersHouse
whats with ur attitude ?? you wanted suggestions your getting them and now have a snive attitude about it i said once already i like variety , and im trying out the new auction a bit more since the slave came here and posted about the complaints we were talking about that dealt with his site .. its no different if you had yours up and running i would be testing that out as well .. like i said u wanted suggestions and ideas and thoughts about doing the site so ??????? isnt that what ur getting .... your getting feedback about it and thoughts and feelings about it no need to target me just cause i state a good point about something or give my thoughts about it ...

Old 05-06-2003, 07:26 PM   #34
The BoidSmith
I just checked it and it seems I'm missing something. Here's what they have right now in ReptileAuction.com, 5 items total. Which are the rest of the links?

Amphibians (0)
Crocodillians (0)
Feeders (0)
Invertebrates (0)
Lizards (3)
Miscellaneous (0)
Reptile Food.Com (1)
Snakes (0)
Supplies/Accessories (0)
Tortoises/Turtles (1)

Old 05-06-2003, 07:28 PM   #35
WebSlave
Shawn,

I just asked you a simple question. No attitude at all applied. I like the styling of the program that ReptiBid is using and simply asked you what it was about that site that you didn't like.

And I made a comment based on an observation about your participation in those two sites.

How is that having an attitide? Asking you specific questions is not targeting you, it is specifically asking you for clarification so I understand what you are saying.

Variety is one thing, but generally people whom are satisfied with an auction board are not going to find the need to go somewhere else that provides them what they want.

You are providing feedback and I am trying to understand what it is that everyone wants in an auction board that is not already provided by the other ones out there. You mentioned that you like ReptileAuction.com, yet I don't see any auctions by you there. I am just trying to understand the situation to help me be guided in my decisions on what to do with an auction board I may set up myself.

I am willing to try to fill a need, if one exists, but certainly I am not willing to go through the effort just to give some people variety. I WILL be charging people to use that site. If that is unworkable for everyone, then it is undoable for me. I am the one whom will be spending the money to put up the site. I am the one people will come to with their problems. And I am the one expected to keep it all running smoothly. If someone wants all that for free, then I am sorry, that is not a game plan I am willing to work with.

Old 05-06-2003, 08:33 PM   #36
TheVipersHouse
ok then if i read it the wrong way then fine . i must have missed your trying to ask me a question about the site under the targeting of my prefferences of the sites and why i have stuff on one site but not the other ...
what i dont like about reptibid is its freedom theres no control over it as i and a few others have already pointed out i.e. 1.same person /multiple id's to boost their feedback 2. anyone can register to bid ( even underage kids) ... and ur taking my feedback and reading it the wrong way i dont want a free auction i want a COST EFFICIENT auction site not a COSTLY auction site ... that why i made alot of refferences to reptile auction because of their costs are reasonable ... having another site with EBAY format is all fine and dandy but i dont want to see EBAY prices ... i plan to use the auction to make money not spend it all just listing my items .... i mean thats the whole point of selling our reptiles is to make a few bucks over what we have invested in them ... and personally i dont want to spend my profit on listing fees unless im garunteed to sell the item and since there can be no garuntees i would only be posting 1 item and wouldnt post another until that 1 sold just to make sure i wasnt losing money reposting after reposting until i got a sale ... hense the reason i dont use ebay unless i have to .....COST WAY TO MUCH to end up with nuthing in the end .... which does happen ... you cant sell everything all the time ..

and to answer the other questions just cause there are 5 listings for sale doesnt mean there arent more links to the site on reptile auction they have forums as well other links all over the site you have to remeber as well just like reptibid they are still fairly new since Keith bought it and revamped it to what it is today it still needing a bigger client listing but when i have listed tmes before i had over 100 veiws so it has a steady flow of traffic ....

Old 05-06-2003, 09:07 PM   #37
WebSlave
And that is what I want to hear about. I wouldn't want to go into this blindly. I've been checking out quite a few commercially offered auction programs, but honestly none of them really seem to hit the spot with me. None would be able to be integrated with this message board to utilize the registration capabilities present here.

Certainly hiring someone to write an auction program from scratch would be way more than I would be willing to spend for that effort.

Sure, I could get the same programs either ReptiBid or ReptileAction use, but is that really what I would want to do? Granted, there would be nothing to prevent me from doing something like that, since this message board I am using here is being used by quite a few sites as well, and no one seems to pitch a stink over it.

So what are the important features you would all want in an auction board? Certainly I hear the complaint about no control, which I think paid registration would solve for the most part. But that has it's own cost, which will be mentioned below.

Something that is very easy to use would certainly be another criteria that seems self evident. I certainly don't want all my waking hours filled with messages from people not able to figure out how to use it.

So what else are you all looking for? Traffic would certainly help, but that's something that just doesn't happen over time, and in many cases is a catch-22. People will come to a site because everyone already goes there. Getting the ball rolling is going to be a big problem, because who wants to spend the money before anyone else is there?

I'm open to suggestions on how best to handle this.

Thanks.

Old 05-06-2003, 10:42 PM   #38
sschind
first off, I think ebay sucks, and it isn't the buyers that ruined it for me its the sellers. But that is not what this thread is about.

I would be willing to pay a nominal amount ($10.00/year as webslave mentioned as a possibility) and say a $1.00 listing fee per auction with perhaps one chance to relist an unsold item for free. I do not think this is out of line at all. As far as a percentage of the final bid, I'd be a little more reluctant to go along with that but if it is a small amount I could agree to that as well. I don't like autions with a buyers premium. I just don't think that is right and I probably would not use the auction simply out of principle if something like that were implemented.

A warning system is a neccesity for buyers and sellers alike. I never bid on herpauction.com but a friend of mine said he was the high bidder on several auctions (different sellers) and he got responses saying things like "if you think I'm going to sell them at that price you're crazy" either party not following through should get a warning and thre warnings and you lose your right to sell or bid. One question though. How is winning an auction and not paying any different than emailing a seller, telling them you will take the animal and then never sending the money.

What I would like to see is a penalty for removing an animal from the auction before the time is up. Too many people put animals up for auction at the same time they have them posted on a classified somewhere. If someone comes through on the classifieds they pull the animal from the auction. I'd like to see a severe penalty for this ($10.00 an infraction perhaps) If an animal is put up for auction it should remain up for the time scheduled and the high bidder should be the one to get the animal, I don't care if some one offers twice as much on a classifieds. (also, absolutely no "buy it now" feature)

There are other problems to address but I am sure Rich has considered them, and would ask for more input if the auction moves closer to reality. Short and sweet, I would love to see a decent auction site, and I would be willing to pay for it.

Steve Schindler

Old 05-07-2003, 01:21 AM   #39
WebSlave
Quote:
(also, absolutely no "buy it now" feature)
Huh?

Man, that's the only way I play on Ebay any longer. With the sniping software basically taking over the site, and so many people bidding on there that don't have a clue about how to find things on the net for decent prices, that is the ONLY way to get a deal any longer.

If I am interested in something, I do a keyword search, go to the most recent postings, and scan only the auctions with the "Buy it Now" feature. I have gotten some excellent deals doing it that way. Every other auction I played as a *real* auction, someone sniped me in the last 5 seconds, paying just about what they could have gotten it for on half a dozen websites at their fulll retail price.

In my opinion, the "Buy it Now" price is what the seller doing the auction is willing to sell the item outright at. Anything less than that, yet above the reserve price will be acceptable.

So why would this feature be considered a negative for an auction?

I am hoping to find a pretty comprehensive auction system with a fair number of bells and whistles behind the scenes. If someone starts an auction and someone bids on an item, they are obligated to complete the auction. The sword will swing both ways requiring everyone to play fairly.

Old 05-07-2003, 03:37 AM   #40
snkkpr01
Just a Q

will the classifieds turn into a pay to play site also. I really like this site, thought I can never get the search to work. I just want to know if we have to pay for auction will the classified still be free. I like the ideas that Webslave is putting out there as bells and whistles. I think it would be a real boost for this site also.

Thank you
Darin Gray

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread