What do you think? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

View Poll Results: Should Principals be forced to learn Spanish?
I think it’s a good idea. 0 0%
This is America, speak English! 29 100.00%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2005, 10:09 AM   #21
aimee_s
My old elementary school principal retired 2 years ago and hired a new Spanish speaking principal who also implemented a mandatory Spanish class for all the students as part of the new curriculum this year. Although it's nice that she's trying to help other students be bilingual, I also don't believe that they should be forced to speak another language - doesn't matter if it's Spanish.

And in reply to Paul about others trying - I agree that there are people who do try to learn English. This makes it a whole lot easier on me PLUS I don't mind helping But, a couple patients that I did have in the hospital didn't even try to help me out. In Spanish, I'd ask them to sit, ask if they want to use the restroom, ask where the pain is, if they want to eat, etc. But, they just look up at me, and close their eyes and try to sleep again - no matter what I do. And these weren't major surgeries... one was a 1-day observation coz of his gall bladder surgery and the other was an uncontrollable bladder. It was frustrating trying to communicate and have them just stare at me and turn around while I asked in both English and Spanish. I was soooo irritated

About the rent, even though it's kinda OT... I'm going with Jim O on this one. Although I personally think it's not OK to deny someone housing because of how they talk (hey, they're paying rent, right?) but they are pretty strict... so it's best to be careful.

Old 09-27-2005, 10:58 AM   #22
TripleMoonsExotic
Honestly, as far as I'm concerned...It's my house...I own it...I will rent the 2nd floor out to whom I want. I will not take any risks financially that could cause me to lose my house. I reallt can't. *lol*

If they can't understand the lease they are required to sign, will it hold up in court? What if they decide to stop paying rent? My notices will be in English. What if they destroy my recently remodeled 2nd floor? How am I going to explain to them that I would like to choke them. *lol*

I am not rude to them when they stop by and want to see the apartment. I show it to them, but do not call them back about it. It's not like I own an apartment building and am being picky about who rents. This is my home, I live in on the 1st floor and the 2nd floor is an apartment (I bought the house this way). I spent four grand remodeling the 2nd floor because the previous occupants trashed it after I bought the place (who actually were friends of mine that I've known for 5 years - but that's another story).

Old 09-27-2005, 11:24 AM   #23
Jim O
Stephanie,

I guarantee you that the fines could well be a lot more than $4000 if you are pinched by the authorities. You are not necessarily exempt from equal opportunity housing laws just because you live in the property. If someone files a complaint (and it can and does happen) you could be in a lot of trouble.

As for damage caused by a tenant, most landlord policies cover that (along with lost rent while making repairs) with a small deductible for which the insurer will pursue the tenant.

You are on very thin ice here. By your logic you would not rent to someone who is deaf (doesn't speak your language) or someone who is illiterate (can't read the written notices) even if either has perfect credit and a spotless rental history. A lease is a contract. You can insist that anyone who does not speak English bring an interpreter who does, and that they go over the lease in your presence and confirms that the lessee understands it well, along with your advice to have it reviewed by an attorney. And that is exactly what the judge will tell you before imposing a big fine.

Old 09-27-2005, 11:41 AM   #24
TripleMoonsExotic
Jim, I understand where you're coming from...But it would take a lot of proof to even attempt to take me to court. As I said, I'm polite with them and try my best to communicate with them when they do come by to look at the apartment. The applications they fill out do not pass my strict guidlines either. I get highly suspicious when they will not give me the contact information for their current/previous landlord. I've seen people attempt to rent and they only make $1000 a month (I rent the place out for $650).

I did have a couple bring an interpreter along when they came to look at the property...The couple didn't speak a lick of English...and the interpreter barely did. I really don't understand how these individuals acquire a job and function in American society if they can not speak the common language.

Also, even if they bring an interpreter to the lease signing...They could still go into court and deny understanding the lease agreement...

OFFTOPIC:
I spoke with my Insurance agent about "Landlord Insurance" and they said I don't need it. I have Homeowners Insurance though. Do you suggest that I should try again to acquire "Landlord Insurance?" Maybe laws are different in PA? The previous owner of this property (whom rented out both floors) didn't have any sort of "Landloard Insurance" either.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:26 PM   #25
Jim O
It sounds as though you have crossed your t's and dotted the i's. But it could come to pass that a qualified renter will show up who does not speak English. It may not be that case that they "prove". They could put you on their radar after a complaint or two and sting you later.

I have a landlord's insurance policy on all of my properties except for the single family house in which I reside. The nice thing about such a policy is that it covers tenant neglect and abuse as well as loss of rent (in fact, if the place burns down I get paid the rent until it is rebuilt). Your homeowner's policy may cover such things given that it is a two family home. You should look into it. Perhaps you could have made a claim on the damage that your "friends" caused. I went to school with a guy who always said "you don't get your meat where you get your potatoes". As a lessor you have a business relationship with the lessee. Best to leave friends and family out of that.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:47 PM   #26
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O
Perhaps you could have made a claim on the damage that your "friends" caused. I went to school with a guy who always said "you don't get your meat where you get your potatoes". As a lessor you have a business relationship with the lessee. Best to leave friends and family out of that.
When I bought the house, they were already living there. The last month of their lease was end of July, I bought the house end of June. I agreed to let them finish up their lease. They waited 3 weeks AFTER their lease was up to get their asses out. We are no longer speaking after what they did.

I will have to call my Insurance agent about what my Homeowners Insurance covers as far as this being a 2 unit...

Old 09-27-2005, 01:20 PM   #27
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimee_s
And in reply to Paul about others trying - I agree that there are people who do try to learn English. This makes it a whole lot easier on me PLUS I don't mind helping But, a couple patients that I did have in the hospital didn't even try to help me out. In Spanish, I'd ask them to sit, ask if they want to use the restroom, ask where the pain is, if they want to eat, etc. But, they just look up at me, and close their eyes and try to sleep again - no matter what I do. And these weren't major surgeries... one was a 1-day observation coz of his gall bladder surgery and the other was an uncontrollable bladder. It was frustrating trying to communicate and have them just stare at me and turn around while I asked in both English and Spanish. I was soooo irritated
How much ya wanna bet that THEY were more uncomfortable and anxious than you were? Have you ever tried getting medical attention in a different country where English is not the spoken language? You may have occasional patients whom are hard to communicate with because of a language barrier, but be glad you're in the majority. Can you imagine it being a constant, daily issue for non-English speakers to interact with a society that doesn't communicate via the same language you do? I mean, for you it's probably a relatively uncommon occurrance, but for non-English speakers, it affects almost all interactions they have. Seriously, I'm not harping on you at all, and I understand your frustration. It's just that when I hear people complain about this, I just think "be glad you're on the majority's side of the barrier."

I hear the term Melting Pot a lot in reference to this issue. What a lot of people seem to be forgetting is the historical concept, and that at some point most of our ancestors who came to the US were not speaking English when their ship landed. I know that my ancestors spoke German & Dutch, and I do believe some were speaking Gaelic as well. They all went through the same issues non-English speakers are going through today, but back then English education was far more sparse.

Old 09-27-2005, 01:46 PM   #28
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSage

I hear the term Melting Pot a lot in reference to this issue. What a lot of people seem to be forgetting is the historical concept, and that at some point most of our ancestors who came to the US were not speaking English when their ship landed. I know that my ancestors spoke German & Dutch, and I do believe some were speaking Gaelic as well. They all went through the same issues non-English speakers are going through today, but back then English education was far more sparse.
The thing about back then, when the first immigrants were coming over is that THEY wanted to make a NEW home, not move in to an established society and take advantage of it's benifits.

I suspect, no I KNOW from personal experiance, that a lot of people who do NOT speak English, whether they actually do or are pretending not to is another story entirely but very pertinant to this conversation, use that supposed non-understanding to ...... man there's no nice way to say it, but they use it to take advantage of the system.

I cannot get the quality care that an immigrant does for the same price. I cannot get the housing, the medical benifits, the loan opportunities, heck a plethora of things that are unavailable to me, a citizen born here, that are readily available to immigrants.

Eh, going off subject here.

Learn the language. Speaking only for me I think they should. If I ever relocate out of country to a place that does NOT speak English I would learn that language. Why should I expect less of someone else?

Old 09-27-2005, 04:25 PM   #29
aimee_s
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSage
How much ya wanna bet that THEY were more uncomfortable and anxious than you were? Have you ever tried getting medical attention in a different country where English is not the spoken language? You may have occasional patients whom are hard to communicate with because of a language barrier, but be glad you're in the majority. Can you imagine it being a constant, daily issue for non-English speakers to interact with a society that doesn't communicate via the same language you do? I mean, for you it's probably a relatively uncommon occurrance, but for non-English speakers, it affects almost all interactions they have. Seriously, I'm not harping on you at all, and I understand your frustration. It's just that when I hear people complain about this, I just think "be glad you're on the majority's side of the barrier."
I understand your opinion and I'm happy to talk about it - so I don't see you as harping on me I enjoy these types of conversations because it gives myself, as well as other readers, differing opinions that may influence others' (or my own) thoughts. The only thing I don't like to get into is politics... hehehe

And I actually have been on the other side a couple times. I had hurt myself while travelling to the Philippines and another time when I was sick in South America. I only know a few words in either language and can't really speak Tagalog or Spanish. I was extemely uncomfortable not knowing what people were saying and having all eyes on me - but I did make an effort to try and tell them what was wrong using body language, motions, etc. and using a mix of both their language and English as best as I could along with those - and I ended up having excellent visits to both of those hospitals.

What was frustrating to me were the two patients that I had who didn't even want to help me help them (I hope that didn't sound confusing.. hehe). I've had several patients who only spoke 1 language (Chinese, Spanish, and Filipino), but we were all able to understand each other when it came to body language and motions - but for the two who just wanted to look at me made me super frustrated because all I wanted to do was help them. Usually with non-English speaking patients, we use the Wong-Baker Pain Scale, but they wouldn't even point to one of the faces.

This is why I believe that it's somewhat necessary to learn the dominant language of the country you were moving to. Even if you couldn't learn the whole language, just the important / basic stuff would make it easier - especially for them in case they get lost, need something, get sick, etc. If I were moving to Spain or Japan or Russia, or wherever - I'd make it a point to learn as much of their language as I could before and during my move so I wouldn't be feeling as outcast as I would if I just moved there without knowing the language and it'd be easier to learn more while I'm interacting with people there.

Currently, I'm studying Spanish because I want to travel to Spain & South America in the future and I know I'll need it - especially when I venture out of the tourist spots

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!