UPS driver finds a python in his truck: "It's alive!" - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 08-05-2005, 04:51 PM   #1
ms_terese
UPS driver finds a python in his truck: "It's alive!"

Missouri seems to be getting more than its fair share of reptile stories lately...

Link
UPS driver finds a python in his truck: "It's alive!"
By Valerie Schremp Hahn
Of the Post-Dispatch
08/05/2005

For at least two calm and relatively happy hours, United Parcel Service deliveryman Brian Adams drove around in his brown truck, oblivious he was toting around a 9-foot albino python.

But Adams, 41, soon found out after he pulled into the lot of the Schnucks shopping center on Highway K in O'Fallon, Mo., late Wednesday morning. When he shifted some boxes on a top shelf he saw what looked like a stuffed animal or rubber snake. Adams lowered his sunglasses, looked a little closer and saw scales.

He called his wife.

"Tina, you won't believe this, but there's a snake in the truck," he said.

He nudged aside a small box in front of the python, and its head popped up.

"It's alive!" he yelled into the phone.

Adams went into a Mail Depot Inc. store and told an employee, who called O'Fallon animal control. By then, the Burmese python had slithered onto a lower shelf, and a crowd had gathered. Adams and animal control officer Dana Howard prodded the 31-pound snake into a cloth mailbag.

Adams has no idea how the python got into the truck. UPS doesn't deliver live animals. It could have crawled inside while workers loaded the truck early Wednesday morning at the Earth City distribution center, but Adams doubts it. For the rest of his route that afternoon, he closely - and nervously - inspected the packages for holes or tears.

On Thursday, the python rested comfortably at the St. Charles County Pet Adoption Center, where it happily devoured three rats, reported director Theresa Williams. A member of the St. Louis Herpetological Society planned to pick up the python next week, she said.

As for Adams, he confidently breezed through a snake-free route Thursday.

"Today," he said, "I'm doing fine."

Old 08-05-2005, 04:55 PM   #2
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_terese
UPS doesn't deliver live animals.
Uh huh.

Maybe it was in the box that they were delivering to Bill Leverton.

Old 08-05-2005, 06:36 PM   #3
Junkyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O
Uh huh.

Maybe so

Old 08-05-2005, 07:01 PM   #4
snakewrangler89
lmao!

Old 08-05-2005, 07:54 PM   #5
hhmoore
Quote:
Adams has no idea how the python got into the truck. UPS doesn't deliver live animals. It could have crawled inside while workers loaded the truck
Yup, I'm sure that's how it happened. At least it was a UPS truck, since they already "don't accept snakes" (except from some, lol). Can you imagine if it was FedEx?? We'd be out on our snake-lovin butts.

Old 08-05-2005, 09:37 PM   #6
Karen Hulvey
Here's the picture.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2005, 01:30 PM   #7
Crested Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O
Uh huh.

LMBO, I almost snotted cereal out of my nose. Hey, it just might be.

Old 08-10-2005, 05:42 PM   #8
Clay Davenport
Here's a followup story. The owner turned up. I can't believe he turned in a claim. Didi he actually think UPS would reimburse him? haha
---------------------------------------------------------

Python Found in UPS Truck Back With Owner

The Associated Press
Wednesday, August 10, 2005; 12:43 AM

O'FALLON, Mo. -- A 9-foot albino Burmese python has arrived at its new home after startling a United Parcel Service driver who found it curled up among packages in his truck last week.

The python was taken to the St. Charles County Pet Adoption Center after Brian Adams encountered it while making deliveries in suburban St. Louis. News reports about the find caught the attention of David Ostermeyer, who hadn't received a python he ordered from a dealer in Pennsylvania.

Ostermeyer, 19, of suburban O'Fallon, told Theresa Williams, director of the division of humane services for St. Charles County, that he has a male albino python and ordered the female so he could breed them.

Ostermeyer told Williams he got the delivery last week but discvered the box was empty. He said he tried to flag down the driver and then put in a claim with UPS.

Adams, 41, remembers delivering an overnight-air box to Ostermeyer's address earlier on the morning that he found the python, but didn't notice anything unusual. Later, after stopping for another delivery, he saw what he first thought was a stuffed animal or rubber snake.

After he saw scales and realized it was alive, he called animal control. The 31-pound snake was prodded into a cloth mailbag and taken to the pet adoption center.

On Friday, Ostermeyer picked up the python after going to the shelter with proof of his ownership _ a receipt, the UPS tracking information and the empty box.

The python was shipped in a plastic container that was taped shut and placed inside the box. Williams said the tape was intact but the container cracked, and the cardboard box had a couple of tears in it.

UPS, meanwhile, is investigating. Although the company accepts some live animals for shipment, snakes aren't on its list.

Old 08-11-2005, 12:50 AM   #9
DragonCharm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crested Lady
LMBO, I almost snotted cereal out of my nose. Hey, it just might be.
Yeah, I nearly wet myself.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!