Very sick Veild Cham - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-07-2006, 06:06 PM   #1
kitkat_bar
Very sick Veild Cham

Hey guys I need some help fast! I have a cham that is around 6-9 months. He has always been a very small runt for some reason and has never truly eaten well. Just last week I started noticing his casque shrinking so I upped his food to wax worms to try and get his fat stores up again. I also started him on vitamines. It started to help but now I have an even bigger problem. Just this morning I noticed that something was protruding out of his..bum. Here is a picture. I don't know what do to and I am afraid for him.

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/41b5ee79...DDnXEBprODC8po

Old 05-07-2006, 06:23 PM   #2
dragonflyreptiles
The link is not working but it sounds more like dehydration to me, and wax worms should only be a rare treat food. Silkworms or roaches would provide more nutritional value than a wax worm. Even crickets would be better than waxies. BUt they need greens and foilage to eat too, fruits, veges etc.

How often and how much do you mist him?
What food items do you normally feed?
How do you gutload your feeders?
What do you use for supplements and how often?
What other items do you offer, greens, grapes, fruits etc?

The protusion from the bum, can you email me the photo then I can post it to get more opinions: dragonflyreptile@aol.com

Old 05-07-2006, 06:58 PM   #3
dragonflyreptiles
Thanks Crystal, here is the photo and info you sent me:
He has a drip system that we use all day long and turn off at night. Occasionally throughout the day we will drip the water on all of the plants in his cage and on him.
He gets giant mealworms and 3 week old crickets in which we dust
We do not use a gut load for the crix, only special food and water for them
We use calcium dust every other feeding
We don’t feed him fruits but he does eat the plants. A ficus and another kind that he doesn’t eat.

The photo looks like an intestinal bulge or rectal prolapse, I would get him to the VET asap! You can try do mist him with warm sugar water in that area until then so the bulge does not dry out before you can get him help.
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
dragonflyreptiles
I would cut back on the drip, run it 8 minutes Early AM and late PM with a 4 minute drip mid morning and early evening.

Don't waste the money on the giants they are more expensive and fed steroids to give them a larger size. Standard large mealies are good. If you are feeding the crix cricket or sepcial food they are being gutloaded.

A rectal prolapse usually occurs from feeding food items that are too large and it often requires surgery. Your Veiled looks big enough to eat 3/8" crickets but the giant mealies have more chitin and may be too large or cause an impaction that caused the prolapse.

Old 05-08-2006, 12:26 AM   #5
Dave W.
Howdy,

Your best bet is to get to a vet ASAP. If you don't have access to an expert reptile vet then try Dr. Tom Greek (714-777-2314). You'll have to drive out to Yorba Linda but it should be worth the trip. He's worked on 500-1000 chameleons and a few of them were mine. I wouldn't waste a minute getting to a qualified vet for a prolapse. If that tissue dies then its big trouble. I'm in Manhattan Beach and drive past a hundred vet offices to get to Dr. Greek.

Good Luck,

Dave Weldon

Old 05-26-2006, 02:23 AM   #6
zinc99
just so you guys know he died from the infection. It was hard to wake up and find him dead. But at least he is not suffering anymore.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:10 PM   #7
dragonflyreptiles
I am so sorry you lost him! Did you take him to the vet to get it repaired and it got infected?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!