Watering? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-24-2006, 08:22 PM   #1
cliff_f
Watering?

I would like to know how people water their chameleons. I always hear alot about people using spray bottles and drip systems does anyone use a misting maching or have used? I have tried using the drip system but i never seem to see my chameleons drink I have been using the spray bottle and I see them drink alot but it really stresses out my chams every time I spray and i do my best not to spray directly on them so I finally forked out a little cash and got me a pro-mist after doing a little research i finally decided that was the best one for me and I love it!! My chameleons will actually go under the nozzles and drink when it is running! The watering is so much easier I dont feel so guilty now if I have to leave early to work and dont get them misted or if I stay out late on the weekends. Any one else use the misting systems? I would like to hear from the big breeders also how do you guys water all of your hundreds of chameleons?

Old 05-25-2006, 10:53 AM   #2
dragonflyreptiles
I hand mist and use a dripper. I have habba misters but themax setting is 1 minute every hour. I use them for babies in addition to the hand misting just to keep the humidty up.

Old 05-26-2006, 02:21 AM   #3
zinc99
the habba mist is junk comapred to the promist. Just make sure your system can run dry so you wont burn down your house.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:07 PM   #4
dragonflyreptiles
I kinda think they are junk compared to hand misting too lol

Im not much into electically stuff, Id use manpower and hand mist or use a 2 gallon sprayer and do it myself. Its more cost effective.

I did consider getting an arizona mister for outside, they are pretty cool and not too expensive for multiple cages..

Old 06-08-2006, 08:35 AM   #5
insecttrap
Clifff,

If you have your chams outdoors for a period of the year, I recommend getting a battery operated programmable solenoid valve. Home depot and Lowe's have these for ~$40. You hook one up to your hose spigot and set it to multiple waterings per day. You can fit plant irrigation tubing, drippers, and misters up to it creating a system to water all your chams all at once and decrease labor in the long run. All you have to do is check on the system every now and then. Most likely, you'll be out with your chams at some point that it comes on...

I have the DIG brand and the little pig tail shaped adjustable misters and it all works well.

Happy herping!

Michael

Old 06-14-2006, 02:02 AM   #6
Nicholi707
Well, compared to misting by hand.....nothings more reliable. Automated misting systems should always be modular. No misting system should ever be neglected enough to run dry.

Old 06-14-2006, 09:00 AM   #7
cliff_f
Well I agree that had misting is more reliable and you know exactly how much water they are getting. But for stress level I love the misting system cause my chams dont freak anymore like they did when had misting and I do agree that you neet to monitor the misting machine all the time but there are times in life that stuff happens so thats why I go the one where they pump wont burn up.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!