2 Male Bearded Dragons + Cage and Accessories For SALE - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Lizards For Sale/Wanteds > Bearded Dragons

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #11
harmonysmom
The little one eats his heart out, usually before the big one eats. If I had to guess dominance, I'd say he had it over the big one. I never intended on keeping them in that cage for long, was working on plans for a new cage I was going to build for them out of an old dresser (plenty of room, and also make it so a divider could be put in if problems ever did arise). If I can't find a new home for them, it's what I'll be starting on in the next month before it gets too cold to work outside on it.

I knew that cage wasn't a 100 gal. It is bigger than the one I originally had Tobias in though, and that's all that mattered at the time.
  Contact User Check User
Old 06-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #12
sjsexotics
i know every one is looking at the bad in this situation ( which there are many problems with there liveing situation) but how about the fact that at least the owner is trying to find them a new home and on here at least most of us would care for them properly.

are they for sure both male ?

Old 06-14-2009, 06:25 PM   #13
harmonysmom
Yes, I'm positive they are both male.
  Contact User Check User
Old 06-14-2009, 10:21 PM   #14
harmonysmom
Like I said, when I got my camera back, I'd post up better pictures (edited my first post and put the new ones in). Their living conditions, despite being housed together, are NOT bad. That just had happened to be the only available picture I had at the time of posting.

But, I do need to find them a good home BEFORE it gets bad. I can barely afford to live myself at this moment. And, I know their diet of fruits and veggies isn't going to be good for them long term. I can't afford the bugs right now, and I don't know when I'm going to be able to. In one of the books I had bought before I got Tobias, it had mentioned dog/cat food, and sure, I could see how that would work as a temporary thing, but, once again, I don't know how long it's going to last.

I would rather see them go to a good home where I know their needs can be afforded, than have to watch them suffer as I try to fix my current situation.
  Contact User Check User
Old 06-15-2009, 12:26 AM   #15
DragonKeeper86
NO, do NOT feed them dog or cat food... what the h*ll. Seriously? I don't know what book you got, but thats horrible and outdated information. They should also not be eating fruits (only as treats). The 2 year old should be eating a diet consisting of mostly veggies, so he should be fine. The younger one not even being a year yet, needs to be getting some kind of protein, but will not die or anything if you absolutely cannot get him any. You can't go to the pet store and get like 50 or so crickets for like $2-3? My pet store sells them 20 for $1. I use roaches, so Im not sure what the average price on crickets is now. Even if you just feed him like 10 or so a few times a week it would really help. Most fruits are not good... they will give them the runs. You should be feeding dark greens like collards, mustards, dandelion (even if you can just pick dandelions from outside and wash them off. They love the leaves and the flowers and are both very good for them), escarole, endive, all kinds of squash, alfalfa plant (not the sprouts), turnip greens. These are all really cheap... like $1.50 or so a bundle and will last a few weeks in the fridge in a ziplock back (put a paper towel in it and suck the air out... it lasts FOREVER). It really does not cost that much to keep them fed... so all these excuses are not really fooling anyone reading this. I could still find a way to feed my one male the last 4 months or so I was in college and basically living on top ramen and mac and cheese lol. I would scrounge up about $5 in change and stock up on greens and just feed crickets 2-3 times a week and he's perfectly healthy now. They are pretty hardy animals, but it really doesn't cost much to keep them fed. As an adult they should be eating 80% greens anyways. Its the younger one that I would be worried about...

Old 06-15-2009, 12:32 AM   #16
DragonKeeper86
Oh, and I know your getting rid of them anyways, but heres a great site that has a list of good foods. Its pretty much the guidelines on what you should be feeding your dragons. LOTS of people in the hobby refer to this all the time. I have it printed out so I can take it shopping with me and know what I can and can't get as treats. I normally feed dandelion greens, collards, mustards, and different squashes (normally acorn and butternut). These all cost like $1.50 or so for a big bundle at Safeway and it lasts me about 2 weeks or more.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:33 AM   #17
DragonKeeper86
Oh, and I know your getting rid of them anyways, but heres a great site that has a list of good foods. Its pretty much the guidelines on what you should be feeding your dragons. LOTS of people in the hobby refer to this all the time. I have it printed out so I can take it shopping with me and know what I can and can't get as treats. I normally feed dandelion greens, collards, mustards, and different squashes (normally acorn and butternut). These all cost like $1.50 or so for a big bundle at Safeway and it lasts me about 2 weeks or more.

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtrem...Nutrition.html

Oops... sorry about the double post. I forgot to add the link and tried to hit the back button... guess I was a little too late.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:17 AM   #18
harmonysmom
Crickets....last I remember, a small cup of 20 or less of them, ran me.......$3-5...It's cheaper when I have the money, to buy a bunch of butter worms/phoenix worms/etc of...which, my pet store carries none of. I have to go to a local bait shop to get the worms.

As for the dandelions, there are a TON around here, but I always feared using them due to I have no idea if neighbors, or landlord for that matter, used chemicals or not during the spring/summer. It's ok as long as you wash them off?

As for the cat food, I had only tried it once, with the older one, he didn't like it anyway, so never tried after.

Thanks for all the help....I'll keep it all on paper just in case I can't find them a new home before long. It was a Bearded Dragon Manual that said something about dog/cat food, by the way. I'd have to actually go downstairs to get the exact name/author, but, it was highest recommended to me on this site actually, when I was considering getting my first dragon.
  Contact User Check User
Old 06-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #19
sjsexotics
well I offered to take them and pay shipping so I am guessing you want money for them since you did not respond ???

Old 06-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #20
DragonKeeper86
Yea, with the dog food, I had a friend that fed high quality canned puppy food to his juvie savannah monitor and after about a month it was all fat and bloated... it was not good. I think its ok to supplement their diet (not for beardies though) but definitely not as a staple food. I guess blue tongue skinks can eat dog food too. I can't believe crickets are so much for you... thats a bummer. You buy them in a cup? Are those the pre-packaged ones? Those are extremely overpriced, I find it cheaper to order in bulk... you can get 1000 of any size for like $17 online at many different websites. Butterworms are not good as a staple food, and phoenix worms would be great as a staple if they weren't so tiny. My adults can eat 100 of them in one sitting and still be hungry.

I guess its not really my place, but if it were me (and trust me Ive been in some BAD financial situations), if someone offered to take them and pay for shipping, I would do it. Then I would just sell off all the equipment (tank, lights, decorations, etc.) for whatever I could on craigslist. I would honestly just want to ensure that they go to a good home... they are living creatures, they deserve the best chance they can get. Take care.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread