Reptile Super Show??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
herpADDICT42276
Reptile Super Show???

Hi, I am relatively new to reptile keeping and I was thinking about going to the August 10-11 Reptile Super Show for a leopard gecko or two. I already have a 20gal setup but still need a thermostat to regulate the heat pad; anyone know how much that would be? I'm not looking for anything special, just normals. How much do they typically cost at these expos? Also, I am on a strict budget.... a low budget. If this expo is not for those on low budgets,please let me know and direct me to a trusted and more affordable option such as a reputable breeder or good website. Any input would be highly appreciated

Old 07-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
mialma09
Well the reptile super shows are always a great place to get great deals just bring a decent amount of cash on you like maybe a 100 bucks and entrance is around 14 and if you see one you like just talk to them on the price and whip the cash out lol and usually they will bite. But not always you gotta be reasonable as well. Hope my 2 cents persuades you a little.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
herpADDICT42276
Quote:
Originally Posted by mialma09 View Post
Well the reptile super shows are always a great place to get great deals just bring a decent amount of cash on you like maybe a 100 bucks and entrance is around 14 and if you see one you like just talk to them on the price and whip the cash out lol and usually they will bite. But not always you gotta be reasonable as well. Hope my 2 cents persuades you a little.
Thanks for the info. I actually have about 100 to spend there so there is a good chance i will go... maybe lol. Thanks again!

Old 08-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
Belfry
Welcome to the community! I don't specifically know about California's shows. I would guess $15-30 on the low end. When buying make sure it's healthy, keep the breeder/seller's info, any info on the leo's lineage, what it's eating, and if there is a health guarantee.

As for controlling the heat pad, there are several options. A ReptiTemp Rheostat is available at shows and usually runs under $20. It basically is a glorified dimmer. You can also just pick up a plug-in lamp dimmer at a home improvement store ~$10. With a dimmer you would have to manually adjust it until you get the perfect temp inside the tank. It is not a good option if the temperature in the room fluctuates, because then you would have to adjust it quite often.

There are many options for good thermostats. A Zilla Temperature Controller would run you about $25-40. There is also the Zoo Med ReptiTemp 500R Sensor around the same price but I don't have any experience with that one. Both are typically available at reptile shows. Outside of the shows, the next cheap thermostat is the Hydrofarm Thermostat on Amazon.

From there you're looking at more expensive but better quality thermostats. Since you're controlling just one heat pad, the above a options should do the trick. You don't have to worry about paying more for one that's rated for a higher wattage, since the mats are low wattage.

Reptile shows/expos are a great experience and you really should go. Good Luck!

Old 08-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
herpADDICT42276
Thanks Belfry! I will definitely be looking into those brands. I will probably get a rheostat.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:52 AM   #6
geckomania
The reptile show is $14 each day and you can get a dollar off coupon online to print. Parking is $10. Babies range from $20 and up, depending on morph and size. The other factor is if you get babies and they both end up males, you will have to have another tank since the two can't be together after 6 months. If you want to breed and have your own baby geckos then get a male and female. If you don't want to breed then two females. You won't need a temp regulator for a heat pad. What kind of heat pad do you have because the size and type will determine the output. Most standard heat pads, i.e. zoo med, for the correct size tank won't need to be regulated. Just put it on one side of the tank. The gecko(s) will move when they need to regulate their own temp. Have two hides, one on the cool and the other on the warm side. Hope this helps and enjoy the show. If you're able to make your way back out in Sept 21 and 22, NARBC is at the Anaheim Convention Center (also a good show).

Old 10-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
Sillysticks25
Hey are you still looking into getting geckos?

Old 10-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
herpADDICT42276
Well i now have a leopard gecko, she is a 6mo old blizzard. But i am looking for a crested gecko.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!