Bring back the paid requirement for the BOI - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 08-05-2005, 01:53 PM   #1
Rebel Dragons
Bring back the paid requirement for the BOI

Rich, after seeing some of the garbage posted on the BOI over the last few weeks, I think it is perfectly clear why you did what you did. Since you removed the restriction the BOI has been flooded with numerous threads resulting in nothing more but garbage. Many of them all about ReptileAuction.Com. We all know that that site is synonymous with scam. Do we need to read about each and every one??? Many people seem to just sign up here to start crap now that they know they can access the BOI for free. It makes me feel as if I personally paid money for nothing. And I am at the bottom of the contributors scale. I can only imagine what people at higher levels may think. I paid to access the BOI and not have to deal with all the garbage. At this point what am I getting for my money???

You mentioned in another thread you want to give others a chance to see why you did what you did.

If enough members come to this thread saying that they see it, will you re implement the payment program???

Old 08-05-2005, 02:00 PM   #2
Jim O
Rich,

You know how I feel about this topic.

And while you are at it, give Bruce his money back and let those two fools pay their own fines if they want to post and let Scolaro buy his own membership.

Old 08-05-2005, 02:04 PM   #3
WebSlave
The reason I removed the paid membership restriction was because certain events here left me doubting my ability to make a sound judgement call on what I felt was accurate, reasonable, logical, and the best of all options available.

I can remember something one of my high school science teachers said once that I thought was pretty funny.

He said:
"I was wrong one time in my life. And that time I thought I was wrong."

Old 08-05-2005, 02:10 PM   #4
Rebel Dragons
I remember you saying that you were doubting yourself and I understand why you chose to remove it. However a teacher once told me,

"The popular decision is not always best, but then again the best decision is not always popular."

Do what you feel is best Rich. Don't let the popular decision dictate what you feel would be in the best interest of this site.

Old 08-05-2005, 02:20 PM   #5
Mister Internet
FWIW, I think all members that paid the minimum membership fee should be refunded if the BOI is left open to non-paying members. I never did, but access to the BOI was basically the only reason for buying the minimum access, and I would feel screwed if I had paid it to access a (and it WAS) much better, less crapped-up version of the BOI that was now open to anyone.

That being said, I hope your decision is to re-instate the pay-to-post, keep everyone's money, and once again make the BOI the useful, credible tool it became once the membership requirement was in place. The BOI will always be invaluable... I lurk just so I know who to watch out for. I have an awfully high tolerance of the crap I'm willing to wade through to find the good info, though, and I doubt many share my high tolerance...

Old 08-05-2005, 03:44 PM   #6
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
The reason I removed the paid membership restriction was because certain events here left me doubting my ability to make a sound judgement call on what I felt was accurate, reasonable, logical, and the best of all options available.

I can remember something one of my high school science teachers said once that I thought was pretty funny.

He said:
"I was wrong one time in my life. And that time I thought I was wrong."
Rich,

I remember the events. But you have already reversed one of the rollbacks (at least). The BOI will once again become the playground for idiots with multiple ID's, trolls, and children who will not or cannot pay the $10 to post if the requirement is reinstated. Yes, you have a system to get rid of them, but it is not proactive. And the $10 requirement won't get rid of all of the garbage either, that's why you have moderators and suspensions/fines.

There are some people who are very oppposed to the pay to post rule for whom I have great respect. I just happen to disagree with them.

Your anecdote reminds me of an experience with a schizophrenic patient that I had. He was speaking of his psychiatrist and he said:
Quote:
The problem with Dr. G is that he thinks that I think that I'm Jesus Christ. I don't think that I'm Jesus Christ. I AM Jesus Christ.

Old 08-05-2005, 03:47 PM   #7
shrap
I think the majority of people paid to support the site, not just to have posting access to the BOI. My money is right where I want it to be, helping keep this site going and improving.

As far as the BOI being open to all.... it really does not matter to me either way. I understand both sides of the debate and believe both have their pros and cons.

Old 08-05-2005, 03:58 PM   #8
Rebel Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap
I think the majority of people paid to support the site, not just to have posting access to the BOI. My money is right where I want it to be, helping keep this site going and improving.
Your probably right..............

I however paid to access the BOI and decided to donate to the fauna fund to show my support to the site. If it were still around I would donate more.

Old 08-05-2005, 04:24 PM   #9
WebSlave
Yeah, I hear you all. But although I know it comes with the turf, sometimes I just REALLY get tired of the BS I have to put up with here. Sometimes I think this site is just absolutely the worst idea I ever had. But unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective), I am just not a quitter. I may pause every now and again, but I don't just quit.

Old 08-06-2005, 03:08 AM   #10
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap
Agreed

Whatever is decided I will still contribute but I do agree with Mike and Jim to reinstate the verification.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!