Nose rub - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-23-2020, 06:04 PM   #1
Tinysnakeroom
Nose rub

Hi there, I have a young male guyana that I’ve never noticed rubbing his snout, he is housed in a vision cage. however I’ve recently notice a bump getting bigger and today it looks to have developed a crater-like shape, almost like a boil. Anyone have any experience with something like this?

Any advice appreciated.

Best,
Wil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-23-2020, 06:26 PM   #2
Tinysnakeroom
I’m assuming this is nose rub that has got and abscess in there now and needs to be lanced by a vet.

Old 11-23-2020, 06:58 PM   #3
Socratic Monologue
I've only had one such experience, in a blood python. It didn't look like much from the outside, but it had a mouth rot that the vet found, but I couldn't tell myself when I looked inside. A round of injectable antibiotics cleared him up, and since the rubbing didn't continue I figured the rubbing was secondary to the infection.

If there is any doubt at all, I'd recommend a good exotics (ARAV) vet.

https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

Old 11-23-2020, 09:30 PM   #4
Tinysnakeroom
Thanks for sharing your experience, I agree. While there is no sign of any mouth rot, infection, swelling, or pus, I’ll take him to the vet ASAP before anything like that can develop.

Old 11-23-2020, 10:10 PM   #5
elena
You are also going to need to take some time to figure out why he is doing this, so it doesn't happen again. Temps too high? Cage too large or small? Stress? Nearby females?

Old 11-23-2020, 11:51 PM   #6
Tinysnakeroom
Yes, I’ll do some sleuthing. Temps are steady, cool side at 80 warm spot at 90. He is in his hide all day and usually cruises a bit starting in the evening, nothing frantic or odd...sheds have been good, one piece sock rolls. Normal poops and steady feeding. I got him with the bump being much smaller, but it has grown along with my concern. Today was the first day I noticed the crater looking appearance which freaked me out. I’ve never actually had a snake with a problem that required a vet visit so this will be a first for me.

Old 12-03-2020, 11:05 PM   #7
Tinysnakeroom
Just wanted to provide an update: the vet removed the lump and it was a small abscess that needed to be removed. I have to administer antibiotic shots every 3 days and ointment every day but it looks much better already.

Old 12-03-2020, 11:27 PM   #8
Socratic Monologue
Great! Glad you saw a vet.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:43 PM   #9
Helenthereef
Glad to hear it, and thanks for keeping us informed. It's very valuable to get other keepers' experiences.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!