Boa Injured During Breeding - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-28-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
Stryker414
Boa Injured During Breeding

I have an 08 hypo motley het anery, poss het albino that I paired with my 10 hypo jungle poss het albino. When he didn't act interested I threw in my 07 snow. I guess their competitive nature kicked in because they both became interested in her and both began courting her. This is my 1st attempted year at breeding so I was constantly looking for copulation. After reading so many other posts I figured I wouldn't bother them while they were doing their thang even though the tub was starting to look a mess. Well I couldn't take it anymore and once they gave her a break I was going to get that tub cleaned and pull the jungle, deciding to prove the motley out with the snow instead. Well it wasn't pretty when I went to pull her out. Why was she swollen and bleeding? Was two males too much? Was the enclosure too small (74 qt sterilite)? The 1st pic is when I first noticed anything but thought it was a missed shot. Thanks for any enlightenment that can be shed on this.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
apreske
Looks like she's got some serious swelling and probably an infection of some kind. Definitely take her to the vet asap. Just for future reference, I wouldn't put two males in with one female. The males can get aggressive with each other and can also be aggressive with the female as well. Hopefully with some antibiotics she will be alright. Good luck!

Old 11-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Metachrosis
The abrasions are from the males spurring
No need to be alarmed its really a minor issue that will
correct it's self with minimal effort on your part.

Just clean her up with some peroxide and cover the
abrasions with neosporin or plain vasilene to
keep the grung/grime out.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
Stryker414
Quote:
Originally Posted by apreske View Post
Looks like she's got some serious swelling and probably an infection of some kind. Definitely take her to the vet asap. Just for future reference, I wouldn't put two males in with one female. The males can get aggressive with each other and can also be aggressive with the female as well. Hopefully with some antibiotics she will be alright. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metachrosis View Post
The abrasions are from the males spurring
No need to be alarmed its really a minor issue that will
correct it's self with minimal effort on your part.

Just clean her up with some peroxide and cover the
abrasions with neosporin or plain vasilene to
keep the grung/grime out.
Thanks! I think I will try to clean the area with peroxide and use some silver sufadiazine to treat it in the meantime.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
Metachrosis
Be careful what you use to treat reptiles with,avoid medications that have pain relieving properties.Applying a Triple A ointment first would be best as the sufadiazine is burn treatment that is poorly absorbed but is a good protection barrier.

Peroxide is pretty harsh,after the initial clean up I wouldn't use it again
for a good while. Chlorhexidine-G solution can also be used for cleanup.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
Helenthereef
The Candoia species I keep indulge in "multiple male" breeding groups, and when they were in the full flurry, the most active males wore their scales away immediately above the spurs.

I do think that competition eggs them on to be too violent - in future I'm leaving that to the experts and going back to one on one.

I treated my abraded males with daily dilute betadine soaks, but their injured areas were not as extensive as your poor girl's.

Hope she recovers quickly!

Old 11-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #7
Stryker414
Quote:
Be careful what you use to treat reptiles with,avoid medications that have pain relieving properties.Applying a Triple A ointment first would be best as the sufadiazine is burn treatment that is poorly absorbed but is a good protection barrier.

Peroxide is pretty harsh,after the initial clean up I wouldn't use it again
for a good while. Chlorhexidine-G solution can also be used for cleanup.
I squeezed most of the puss out. The stench was horrible. I cant say the I was moderate with the peroxide. I did use a triple antibiotic. Sufadiazine would have to be prescribed by the vet. Thanks for all you guys help. I really hope she pulls through, litter or not.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #8
Metachrosis
Your description wasn't clear on a time frame the breeding attempts had taken place
The swelling in the pics didn't depict such an advanced condition suggesting "bacterial infection"aka;pus

That advanced state didnt happen over night nor with in a weeks time.
Your animals condition is well advanced and should be addressed with DVM and much more aggressive meds in order to turn it back in the snakes favor.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:16 AM   #9
Stryker414
Quote:
Your description wasn't clear on a time frame the breeding attempts had taken place
The swelling in the pics didn't depict such an advanced condition suggesting "bacterial infection"aka;pus

That advanced state didnt happen over night nor with in a weeks time.
Your animals condition is well advanced and should be addressed with DVM and much more aggressive meds in order to turn it back in the snakes favor.
These are pics taken this evening and they look worse than before. The pics are timed stamped, fyi. I believe a trip to the vet is necessary also.
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2011, 08:48 AM   #10
Stryker414
Sadly I have to report that she didn't make it. I caught the problem too late and I'm assuming the infection had already set in before I even noticed there was a problem. I was expecting a nice litter from her in this, my first breeding project. I must say that it is my own inexperience that has brought me to this undesirable outcome; but it is definately a lesson learned. Thanks for all of your quick responses.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!