what do 2 supers make - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
allreptiles1966
what do 2 supers make

Hello
can someone help me out a bit?
I would like to know what 2 super sunglows make?Will they all the babies be supers?
How can i prove out a possible super sunglow?
Thanks in advance.
Rich

Old 12-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
AbsoluteApril
super x super = awesome

just kidding

a super sunglow x super sunglow should result in all super sunglows since each baby gets a copy of the hypo gene and albino gene from each parent.

IMO the best way to prove out if an animal is a super is to breed it to a normal, all the babies should be hypos. I am hopefully going to try proving out one of my poss supers next season.

hope this helps, I'm sure someone will chime in if my genetics are incorrect

Old 12-13-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
allreptiles1966
Appreciate it !
Bummer that's the only way to prove them out.So i take it that you cant tell from the
super x super babies ? I don't have any normal's either.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
Well there is a problem there... if they are both possibles you would know that neither proved out if you ended up getting normals in the litter; however, if one is a super and the other is a hypo then all the babies would still be hypos since they are getting a hypo gene from the super... so you woudln't know if they were both supers or not since you cannot tell a super from a 'normal' hypo just by looks.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
AbsoluteApril
ps - I'd love to see photos of them!

Old 12-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
crotalusadamanteus
Another good reason to prove them out with normals, instead of with each other is, they're both Albino, and Albino x Albino pairings often time result in undesirable outcomes.

Best as I can tell, April is spot on.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
allreptiles1966
Is there a need to prove out a possible super?Whats the benefit of a super?
I also wont be breeding the 2 sunglows together.I just was asking to see if there was another way to prove them without using a normal.I thought maybe using 2 supers would make something different,although i never seen an ad of any using 2 supers.
I use hets to make my sunglows.I would not be happy making deformed babies.I had 3 kink tails last year that i had to deal with.I kept 1 that wasnt as bad,he is a pretty nice hypo and growing well.He wont be a breeder,just a pet.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
bear
the benefit of a super is that it produces all hypo offspring when bred to a normal.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
crotalusadamanteus
Supers are worth a little more, but mostly, they're worth a LOT more when it comes to planning a breeding. You KNOW 100% of the babies WILL get a Hypo gene AND Albino gene, IF it's a PROVED Super. With a Normal Sunglow, you can only guarantee the Albino gene will pass to all offspring, and about half the litter gets a Hypo gene, instead of all of them.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #10
crotalusadamanteus
Use a Normal Het Albino, and you can still prove or disprove the Hypo part, plus get some Albinos and Sunglows from the litter.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!