some trouble - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-06-2006, 01:53 AM   #1
Apep
some trouble

i'm having trouble getting 1 of my beardies to eat veggies. i've only tryed lettuce for now. i'll get more different veggies tomorrow but my female will eat lettuce but my male wont even lok at the veggie. any ideas. i know i'm still new to beardies and i'm probably missing something pretty simple. so any help will be of use. ty.

Old 05-06-2006, 05:38 AM   #2
Cat_72
Lettuce really isn't a good choice to feed them to begin with. Iceberg really has no nutritional value whatsoever, romaine is a little better, but they need things like collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, etc. I will add in a bit of romaine on occasion, just as a change of pace, but not in any large amount. The key for your guy may just be finding something he likes.....trying several things, but make sure the veggies you offer are healthy ones. Adding a bit of colorful things can catch their eye too....diced red peppers, shaved carrot, bits of squash. Sometimes, it just takes babies while to get used to eating their greens, you just have to keep trying!

I always offer their salads first thing in the morning, before giving them any crickets. Give them some time to eat that before feeding the bugs. If given the choice, they will usually fill up on bugs, then look at the salad like, "You expect me to eat that??" I've had some success sprinkling a few small mealies in with the salad as well....I don't know if it makes it look like the salad is moving, or if they aim for the mealies and end up getting a taste of the greens and deciding they like them, or if it's just like putting croutons on a human salad, but some will start eating greens that way too.

Old 05-06-2006, 11:43 AM   #3
prodigy9618
Hi, I agree with everything that Cat said especially the part about putting the mealies in with it, it does seem to help. I would stop the lettuce all together as it causes diarhea (spelling) and could cause your dragon to become dehydrated. Mine seem to prefer Mustard Greens by far over anything else, so I use that as their main staple and try to mix others in with it. I think that the Mustard Greens give off a little stronger smell and the texture is more appealing then turnip or collard greens which are just flat leaves and you can kind of fluff up the Mustard leaves. Dont know if thats why they like them, just a guess. Just stay consistent and they will start to enjoy them.

Old 05-06-2006, 07:48 PM   #4
Dachiu
I agree with the suggestions... but be sure to feed appropriately sized mealies for this trick - or you could end up with worse problems than her not eating her greens.

V.

Old 05-07-2006, 11:26 PM   #5
Apep
i tryed out a few different veggies today and found that they both love red leaf lettuce. i tryed mustard greens, red leaf lettuce, kale,turnip greens and collard greens and they like the red leaf the most.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!