Flower Garden Grazing! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-31-2016, 06:18 PM   #1
Dovetail
Question Flower Garden Grazing!

My dragon putters around my garden most days and all too often samples fare I wouldn't normally put on his menu. I don't worry overly about kitchen herbs like rosemary and basil...I do try to keep him away from nightshade family plants like tomatoes and eggplant...but what about petunias and purple star (wandering Jew)? And how about the crown of thorn leaves he seems determined to snarf?

What have your dragons scarfed down and lived to denude another day? And what common garden or house plants are KNOWN to be truly dangerous? For instance, lantana is reported to be toxic to dogs, but it came up wild in my garden and the mutts eat it like salad. Clearly the threat is overstated for canines in that case.

What about dragons? What do we KNOW is seriously dangerous? And what about Winston getting repeatedly stung on the tongue by bees, his favorite junk food? Dang y'all, I live in AZ and these are Africanized honeybees - but he simply will not give them up!

Old 06-03-2016, 02:32 AM   #2
Dovetail
Today we ate Russian kale...and a big ol' horse fly!

Old 06-05-2016, 08:25 PM   #3
angie.h
Daffodils are toxic. I used to remember the more common houseplants that are toxic but now I have to use Google to check. So your dragons enjoy a tasty bee like mine have at times. Mine have never been stung , maybe they are too quick to be stung and yours probably are , too. My guys enjoy white clover [ the green leaves more than the flower] and I've seen them eat creeping charlie as well.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:36 PM   #4
Dovetail
Oh, he gets stung! He shakes his head and pokes his tongue out repeatedly, but he never spits out the bee. Maybe bees for them are like jalapenos for us - the burn is part of the charm! ;-)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!