Lineages - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-28-2008, 11:29 AM   #11
heartmountain
It's not an easy, cut and dry answer. I could probably do a whole chapter just on the confusion between color phase and 'morph' and the misuse of the term morph. But, leaving that all behind and just accepting beardie culture for what it is, here is my oppinion....

Any new 'morph'/line should be visually and/or genetically different from what's been produced before. It also must be repeatable, random mutations don't count unless you can breed for them, this is proving your morph. How far you prove your morph is really up to you.

As far as outbreeding and backbreeding go....
Recessive morphs are obviously the easiest to tell, they either show it or not, although figuring the hets can get kinda tricky.
For all the other types that mix it's really a judgement call on them. Just for an example let's say you got a cool mutation from a breeding and wanted to try and prove it out, let's call this one M. Ok so you take M and breed him to a normal (N). All of the first generation would be MxN. Now lets ignore inbreeding just to make this easier and say you picked the girls that show what you're after the most and hit them back to daddy you would now have MxMxN. At this point the babies are 66% M and you could probably start visually separating out the trait you're after and naming them M, personally I would take it another generation and get MxMxMxN (75%M 25%N).

Clear as mud?

Old 04-29-2008, 05:52 PM   #12
Beardiepal
Mud huh???

Absolutely clear as mud...HEHE

Take Leo & Lucy for example...when can I start calling the babies Leo x Lucy, or do I forever have to call them normals???? Please don't say "Beth has lost her everloving mind". or do this to me Take care Sean, B

Or since I know Falkor's lineage from Mike, and Saphira is Leo & Lucy's, do these babies have to be normals too? Or after a couple of generations????

Once again don't be laughing your a off when you read this !!!!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:32 PM   #13
dinkanber
Or you could name it after you or something.Like Chris Allen Reds im assuming came from Chris allen.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:45 PM   #14
heartmountain
Quote:
Take Leo & Lucy for example...when can I start calling the babies Leo x Lucy
When they hatch, of course noone will probably know what Leo x Lucy is.

Quote:
Or since I know Falkor's lineage from Mike, and Saphira is Leo & Lucy's, do these babies have to be normals too?
They would be (whatever Falkor is) x normal. If you kept hitting the offspring back to whatever falkor is though then yes after a few generations you could drop the normal from the name.

There's no set rules with beardies. You could take Leo x Lucy babies and call them Glowing Purple or any other name that hasn't been taken already. Cutesy names are mainly for marketing purposes and don't necessarilly reflect genetics.

There are 3 main ways to describe beardies.
Genotype - This is the genetics and honestly we really don't know to much about them with beardies. You'd be safe with the recessives (leucistic, translucent, etc.) but that's about it.
Phenotype - What they show (red, yellow, orange, brown, etc.)
Marketed Name - Citrus, Salmon, Lemon, Flame, etc. etc.

Is that any better?

Old 04-29-2008, 11:26 PM   #15
Beardiepal
You Sean are

I love the cutesy name...you are very aspiring and original...I am just messing with you...Thank you for your time & effort to let us know how we can fool people and be original with our dragons...you are the best !!! B I am going to Email you....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!