Tarheel Reptile/Mark Carmany-Beware! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 09-23-2004, 10:28 AM   #1
DavidBeard
Thumbs down Tarheel Reptile/Mark Carmany-Beware!

I recently purchased a Scrub Python from Mark of Tarheel Reptiles.....he was cordial and timely with e-mails and answered all of my questions.....everything was going fine until I received the snake.....first off, the packing job could've been better. The snake was in a box w/no insulation....just some shredded paper & a snake bag. My main problem is that the python was infested with mites. I treat every snake that comes into my house with Black Knight as a precautionary measure, so I caught the problm quickly and I'm able to solve it. The scrub soaked all day the first day it arrived and I have pictures that show it soaking & show mites on the snake.....here are the pictures (notice the mites around the eye in the second picture)

I contacted Mark about the mites and here is what he had to say:
Tarheelreptile@cs.com__Add to Address Book
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 01:16:17 EDT
Subject: Re: Amethystine Python
To: bubbaspanx44@yahoo.com

David,
_______ Mites? That's odd. Every reptile I ship is physically inspected and treated with Reptile Relief before it is packed up. No exceptions! I also have dated close up pictures that were taken on the day he was shipped. I do this with every animal I sell. A little thing called insurance. I see no mites in my picture. Seems like a person would notice something such as a mite "infestation" upon opening the snake bag. Not over 48 hours later. As for the wheezing, I've never noticed anything like that while he was in my care. It's possible that the shipping process may have caused the onset of a cold. Snake colds are quite common this time of year due to the change in temperatures. Very easy to fix, keep him warm. Sounds like you're talking about a completely different snake. I have very detailed records of every snake in my inventory and Mr. Amethystine has never had any of the problems you're describing. Or any other snake in my inventory. Anyway, to make a long story short. You agreed to my policies by sending payment. Read the last line of my policies. Hmm looka like a binding contract. I guarantee Live Arrival and the animal for 24 hours after delivery. No less, no more. I recieved an email a few days ago stating that "the snake looks great". The 24 hour guarantee is long past and now suddenly the snake has mites and a possible cold. Here's a few words to sum it all up. YOU'RE SOL.

Mark Carmany
Tarheel Reptile Inc.____

*NOTE* I did not ask for a refund or to return the snake....I merely wanted to let him know that the snake had mites and was wheezing a bit.....I know that by his terms I get nothing. I want to keep the snake, but I didn't pay for mites lol.

Old 09-23-2004, 11:22 AM   #2
Suncoast Herpetological
David

The gentleman's answer is definitely out of line but, to be fair, you should post the Email you sent him notifying him of the issues. I would definitely say that shipping any animal without an insulated box is strong evidence of a lack of consideration for his animals though.

Old 09-23-2004, 11:24 AM   #3
DavidBeard
No problem.....here is the e-mail I sent him:

Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:39:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: "David Beard" <bubbaspanx44@yahoo.com>__View Contact Details
Subject: Re: Amethystine Python
To: Tarheelreptile@cs.com

Hello Mark. I just wanted to let you know that I have
found a couplethings wrong with the Scrub you sent
me.....first off, he is infested with mites. He soaked
all day the first day I got him (I have pictures of
him doing so and the pics show mites around his eyes)
and I have treated him with Black Knight.....he has
also been wheezing audibly since he arrived. I know
that carpet pythons whistle sometimes when they breath
and its normal, so it may be nothing, but I just
thought I'd let you know that I'm very disappointed
about the mites. He is obviously infested with them
and I do not think that sending me a snake w/ mites is
a good way to do business. Thanks for your time.

David Beard

Old 09-23-2004, 11:30 AM   #4
Suncoast Herpetological
My reason for asking to see the email was to ascertain if he was responding to a belligerent or abusive message. That is obviously not the case. Your Email was civil and professionally worded. His sarcastic and snotty reply was way over the edge.

Old 09-23-2004, 11:33 AM   #5
DavidBeard
Thank you John. I see no reason to be abusive or a jerk....I don't want to stoop to his level. Hopefully someone who is thinking of buying from him will see this thead and look elsewhere (unless you WANT mites lol).

Old 09-23-2004, 11:46 AM   #6
DavidBeard
By the way....

Mark has been notified of this thread.

Old 09-23-2004, 12:16 PM   #7
chaotic9
i was at david's house the day the snake arrived and i can also back up his claim that this snake has/had mites, and it's evident in the photo he took. i saw several mites in his enclosure when i went over there. none of the snakes in david's collection had mites before the scrub showed up. in fact, this snake was placed away from the majority of his collection.

i can also back up his claim that the box wasn't insulated. it was just a box with air holes punched into the sides. i wonder if this was the first snake he's ever shipped. i'm no shipping pro, but i know not to punch a bunch of holes into a box being shipped with a snake inside, much less pack it with no insulation.

Old 09-23-2004, 08:14 PM   #8
tarheelreptile
Wink Isn't this interesting.

Well, isn't this interesting. Mites? I see "one" black dot under the eye on the python that appears to be a mite. Big deal. Mites happen. Nobody is perfect. Squirt, Squirt, clean, clean. Problem solved. However, you're claiming "infestation!" Not hardly. I personally think I'd notice such a problem upon recieving the animal. I personally inspect every snake I purchase immediately when it arrives. For some reason, David waited to notice this "one mite" 48 hours after the snake was recieved. After it had been placed in his cages. After he sent me an email stating "the snake looks pretty good!" I find the whole story really hard to believe. Therefore no sympathy from me! I'm sorry but that's life. The real problem is that David has nothing better to do than sit around and criticize buyers and sellers on this forum. It's all a big b-rated reptile soap opera. David, my suggestion is for you to take your thumb out of your mouth, get mommy to change your diaper, and just get over yourself. If you can't deal with treating a snake for "a mite" then maybe you should get out of the hobby. All the people on Reptibid, Kingsnake and East Coast Shows who have purchased reptiles from me over the years seem to be very happy. My feedback and large customer base is a testament to that. Another thing mentioned in his posts regarding my company is that I am abusive and a jerk. Absolutely, when provoked. You have no idea! But, you're about to find out. David, here's a little tip for you. When you email someone criticizing their business, that tends to be the minimal end result! Anyway, lets wind this up.

It seems that Mr. David Beard, since he resides in Kentucky, is required to purchase an import permit for each and every snake he brings into the state. This permit must accompany the animal into the state. David seemed to forget to mention this fact when he purchased the Amethystine Python from me. When I spoke with Jim Lane at the Kentucky Dept. of Fish & Wildlife found it very interesting that David didn't pay for the permit. Sounds like somebody else is about to get a $165 citation like the ones handed out at the Kentucky Reptile Expo.

David,
I'll leave the following point for you to ponder:
I don't give a damn about you, your negative posts, your snakes, your pet mite, your cry baby personality, your friends posting on the Board Of Idiots or the reeming you are about to recieve from KDFWS. In the end, your lame posts about my company will fade away, be forgotten and buried in the endless volumes of useless crap floating around on the internet. In the meantime, my business will continue to thrive and all your efforts will prove to be useless!

Next time, you better check who you’re messin with punk.

I'm not your Huckleberry!

No further responses will be posted.

Mark Edward Carmany
Tarheel Reptile Inc.

Old 09-23-2004, 08:36 PM   #9
Tim Rash
WoW

I gotta say that is the most professional post I have ever seen in my life. Man I am ready to send you all my money.

Tim

Old 09-23-2004, 08:47 PM   #10
DThomas
Very professional post.

"Board of Idiots" huh. I hope your current customer base is large enough to continue to sustain you for the indefinate future. Calling a membership base this large a bunch of idiots probably will not win you too many new customers.

Atleast we got to see where your true motivation and concern lies. And it certainly is not with the animals or your customers. How is being a slave to the all mighty dollar anyways?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!