beardeds - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-14-2003, 03:59 PM   #11
Laura S.
Hello Svee,

Great posts. Thanks bunches!

Laura

Old 01-14-2003, 04:25 PM   #12
WebSlave
Quote:
PLEASE feel free to post your URL's for information, photos and including your site, WebSlave has no problem with that if it is to inform and then stays here as a source for others that may read it later.
Yes, by all means, feel free to post links here.

Thanks!

Old 01-16-2003, 11:30 AM   #13
Rob Hill/Geckos Anonymous
Svee,

thanks for all of the excellent information. As it has been stated, when it comes to Beardeds in their natural habitat, we here in the USA are pretty ignorant. Pretty much all of the information we have is from people who haven't actually observed them in the wild.

And thanks for the information on the permit system. I knew one was required to keep native herps, but did not know how one went about attaining it. Now when it comes to non-native species, I take it they are a no-no outside of museums and/or zoological parks, right? Or can private individuals obtain permits? Sorry if that is a stupid question. I mainly ask because I have always wanted to live in Australia, but it would be tough to live there without my animals(of course I could probably make it up with some nice Australian species ). If you wouldn't mind shooting me an e-mail privately, I'd like to ask you some non-herp Australia questions if you have the time.

Thank you again for all the information you've provided.

Cheers!

Old 01-17-2003, 02:29 AM   #14
Svee
g'day

pics of pogs

i really hope that works... if it did .. that means ive worked it out and can post the other links... ty for your patience all!

also i really appreciate your interest. thank you.

i will email some answers also! bye Svee
ill be bach.

Old 01-17-2003, 02:32 AM   #15
CheriS
Thumbs up

It works!!

Old 01-17-2003, 02:45 AM   #16
Svee
it worked! more pics now

The Antipodes

there are some wild and pics of my area.. and more. i have an album almost ready of my Pogona nullabors. i will post that and some info links. thank you.
enjoy please!
Svee
happy to brag

Old 01-19-2003, 06:53 AM   #17
Svee
friends

laura.. no, thank you. knowing you and the others from the rep room makes learning an experience! ..the information ive gleaned by watching these people converse about their reptiles is invaluable. and the good impressions are from people of all ages who have this common ground..that they want to keep learning and do the best they can with their reptiles.

Old 01-19-2003, 07:33 AM   #18
Svee
Q}can you tell us about any difference between yours you keep and those in the wild? Like housing, lights, diet, health etc. I am trying to be as broad here as possible to pick your brain Do you keep them indoor all the time or outside?

hello cheri!

sorry ive taken a while to get back..aohell... shhh! we wont mention them and i may stay online.

thats a good question. and i think the answer is commonsense... we try to keep them inside in an environment that is as close as possible to normal for them.
in the housing i set up with bark and leaf substrata for the barbatas.. as they are rainforest and eastern seaboard dwellers. tho they are seen on the beaches they live in the bush nearby. for the vitticeps substrata i use sand.. compacted with about 1/4" loose on top. all 3 species that i have are arboreal..{tho i find the vitties ground dwell alot more than the others}....so high branches and cairns of big rocks. water bowl big enuf to swim in and of course a cool side and a basking side. they like a good sized ledge.. i have a terracotta wall sconce and it heats just right under the heat light. {i havent seen those in the wild tho!} i have a cool little set up for my nullarbors..a cairn .. small smooth rocks piled together..they love to get into the crevices.
for all i have UVA/UVB reptivar flouros and 60 watt as the heat source. also i turn my lights on manually... i have always and i may change but i like to follow the natural sun patterns...and looking back on that statement i sound like a fanatic. oh what the hey.. i probably am.
diet ..here is a link about the diet here...please note i have stated in it that i dont have vetrinarian training and its just my opinion...also..we do some things a little differently here because our rep trade is only just getting a move on....so not a lot of medications for reptiles. some of the things i trust are from the old school guys who only know our reps..and have great stories of amethystines as big as a footy players leg to how to fix a respiratory problem in a snake with bush sulphur.. um..i didnt put that in my notes cause ive never tried it.. everything else ive tried and found suitable.

they are extremely healthy as a whole.. ive not been to a vet with any of mine and just had the minor problems such as incomplete shedding, an eye infection once or twice. ive never seen uris in mine.. so i can only guess theyre in a good environment. there are no prominent diseases here that affect Pogonas.
i do think that export/import ban worked. {tho id like to see it alleviated under some circumstances.}

i have indoor tanks and a big outdoor wire enclosure.. i have read and been told to give them at least 8 hours a week in the natural light but i give them much more. even an overcast day will give them 'rays'. the outside enclosure has huge hollow logs that go right to the top and a resident blue tongued skink i put a bit of banana out for sometimes, they lay there outside the cage watching each other.

its all fun ..
bye from Svee
::looking at length of post:: um verbal runoff.
i am a pog

Old 01-19-2003, 07:59 AM   #19
CheriS
Not to long, I could read more

I did not see the link to the diet or your site

Thanks again for the interesting info

Old 02-10-2003, 01:00 AM   #20
DragonMama
fascinating..

svee,
What is the normal temperature range for beardies to bask? Here, it is suggested anywhere from 100 to 120 degrees. (37.7-48.8 celcius)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!