Boy Kills Python at Festival..... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:06 PM   #1
RJBILBY
Boy Kills Python at Festival.....

So I found this story on a local herp show forum about a friend of mine and his albino burm....

Python Snake killed at St Bernadette festival

For approximately 10 years the employees and clients of All Creatures Animal Hospital have enjoyed an ever-growing petting zoo at the St. Bernadette festival. The purpose of the petting zoo is to raise awareness for the proper pet care by answering husbandry and veterinary questions for the general public, as well as providing an opportunity for people to handle exotic pets. The reception has always been positive and the Amelia community now eagerly anticipates the annual event. Usually there are a variety of different animals – including lots of reptiles, skunks, ferrets, rabbits, and goats – all screened to be docile creatures (except the snapping turtle and alligator).

For the past 4 years, Scott Braunstein from the House of Reptiles in Dry Ridge, Ky. has been assisting All Creatures in providing a large variety of snakes, lizards, and even an alligator for visitors to handle and observe. Scott’s whole business is to educate people on reptiles. His goal is for people to learn to appreciate and not fear the reptiles that share this planet with us. He discusses what reptiles make the best pets and which ones should be kept wild. Scott spends most of his time trying to convince people not to be afraid of snakes and reptiles, but to appreciate their unique design and beauty. He tries hard to train young people not to grow up believing reptiles are slimy or should be killed indiscriminately. All of Scott’s reptiles have very mild, predictable personalities, and they get handled very frequently. One 10-foot, 2-year-old albino Burmese python named “Popcorn” was particularly docile. Popcorn layed around most of Sunday afternoon in the lawn at St Bernadette while kids gathered around and petted the impressive individual. Adult spectators, while waiting in line for the chicken dinner, laughed and pointed at the snake – stretched out in the grass enjoying the mid afternoon sun. Towards the end of “Popcorn’s” lazy 8 hours at the petting zoo, Scott noticed that a young boy came up to the head of the snake and raised his foot. Scott asked the boy to back off and the boy replied, “I hate snakes.” Scott said that was fine and to just leave the snake alone, he wasn’t bothering anybody, and he told the boy to back off and go somewhere else. Then, without warning, the boy sneaked up on the big snake, and stomped his foot on the snake’s head. The snake’s spine was severed at the base of his skull from the force of the boy’s stomp, and the snake rolled and convulsed before expiring his last breath. His father who, obviously embarrassed, grabbed the boy’s hand and pulled him back into the festival crowd accompanied the boy. The only words said by the boys father were - “that’s why I can’t take you anywhere.” The father and his son were not seen anywhere near the petting zoo and never once appeared concerned that they had just killed this large beautiful reptile. Scott shook his head is disgust, loaded his deceased snake into a box and packed up his remaining reptiles for the long drive back to Dry Ridge.

Its seems ironic that Scott’s and The House of Reptiles’ volunteer weekend of educating the public about the myths of snakes and benefits of reptiles, had ended with a child’s determination to kill something he knew nothing about. To this boy snakes seemed only to be something that should be killed, a belief the boy had to have learned from somebody. The child may not ever know what was wrong with what he did other than it embarrassed his father. The father may have felt guilty or bad about his son’s behavior - but it seemed odd he did not have the decency to offer condolences, restitution, or even an apology for the senseless death of a harmless reptile. It disturbs me that before Scott even had an opportunity to educate this boy on why this animal should not be feared – the boy’s close minded, conditioned response was to kill the snake, despite fifteen or twenty other people being around, clearly enjoying this beautiful creature. What was the point? What was the child thinking?

Hundreds of individuals who were at the festival Friday, Saturday or Sunday may remember handling or touching Popcorn. May his death be a testimonial for an animal that gave his life for no other reason than trying to educate the ignorant? The truth is reptiles are a beautiful, unique, and interesting group of animals, and they do serve a very important purpose in the circle of life. They have occupied our planet for longer than any mammal, so they evolved incredibly unique adoptions for survival. They have continued to survive despite our population increases in the last 100 years. Many have been driven to near extinction, even in Ohio. Threatened by habitat destruction and population explosion. Species like the Kirtland’s water snake, native to the hills of Clifton, and the Massasuaga rattlesnake in the bogs of central Ohio – are being serious threatened to extinction. In less developed countries, less protection exists for reptiles so extinction is a huge problem. Some species will now exist only in zoos and private collections; others have been wiped out completely. The same is true of many wild animals, but reptiles have it the worst because man has always been afraid of them, having been portrayed as the creatures to be feared in the bible, folklore and myths from around the world, and some simply because of their uniqueness. And a few venomous species always seem to get the most attention.

I don’t know what kind trouble I would have gotten into as a child if I didn’t have reptiles to occupy my boyish energy. I collected snakes, studied them at the zoo and in my basement, and was always intrigued by how perfectly designed they are for what they do. I have always met other reptile lovers and we formed the Greater Cincinnati Herpetological Society (GCHS) whose purpose was to promote public education on reptiles and to protect them. The main goal is to educate, and to stop people from killing them in our own backyard.

In the balance of nature and humans occupying a finite planet, man continually doesn’t behave by the natural laws of balance and will take much more than we need. While in Africa I witnessed prides of lions relaxing as the zebra, and gazelles grazed around them. The herbivores knew that the lions would not be hungry for at least three days, and they were safe as there was fresh kill on the ground. Man does not seem to understand the rules of nature and we break them as we seek to satisfy our selfish personal needs. Perhaps we have not evolved enough as a species to understand the balances that other species, who have been on the planet longer, seem to know – like reptiles. Senseless killing of wildlife really disturbs me, and I have only seen it Homo sapiens. I have witnessed people drive out of their way to run over a live snake on the road. I have heard sick people describe the funny “popping” sound they hear when they run their car purposely over box turtles crossing our highways. May you think real hard before you tell your kids clichés like, “the only good snake is a dead snake,” or “mean as a snake”. Instead take them to the zoo, or the House of Reptiles and educate them on the beauty of wildlife, and the purpose that all God’s animals have on this planet. Attend a Greater Cincinnati Herpetological Society meeting and become absorbed in this variable and unequalled group of animals. Don’t cut all of your grass, leave some high; this gives critters a place to hide. Teach your children to appreciate the beauty in nature, because they are all a part of it. Reptiles were the first creatures to occupy land and now we have destroyed the habitats of wildlife.

All wild animals and especially reptiles deserve our respect. We need to protect them and educate our children about them. Now only “Popcorn’s” skin will be used for future reptile educational seminars with the House of Reptiles. And one less live albino python snake in the world may not make a big difference in future generations of reptiles. But maybe the readers of this story will think of “Popcorn” and be an example to a child the next time they see a snake on the road and stop their car and let it pass. Maybe someone who held “Popcorn” and witnessed no aggression will stop someone before they reach for the hoe to kill a defenseless garter snake in their garden. Perhaps a child, who admired Popcorns beauty, will pass on to other children or students the importance of protecting reptiles from needless harm. Reptiles need our help to survive for our future generations to enjoy and see God’s nature through their beauty.

Dr Dan Meakin - All Creatures Animal Hospital, Amelia

Old 08-23-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
Mooing Tricycle
That makes me sad, But to be honest, i do not blame the boy. Parents are the ones responsible in raising their children the right way, giving them the ideas of what is right and wrong, their kids learn based off of their actions.Maybe the father kills snakes at home, due to his own fear of these animals, and the boy has seen him do it? Maybe the father really was just too embarassed to say anything in front of so many people, and the boy was punished on the way home, we will never know.

Im not that old, but i can definitely say that some parents these days do NOT discipline their children the way they ought to. I see kids running around being utter terrors, and they have no fear. because all they have to say is " ill call the cops on you"

i will say that the last time i ever said that, the last words i heard before i started RUNNING were "ill give you a good story to tell them then!" LOL am i too young to say "things arent the way they used to be?" .... heh.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:10 PM   #3
Dennis Hultman

I don't see how the father and the boy were able to just walk away.

They should have been held for a police report to be filed.

My condolences to Scott.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:58 PM   #4
IloveSnakes1234
Sad. I feel bad for Scott. But this is why parents should take a belt and beat their children in the arse! My mom did it and I know better to be good and shut up if I have something mean to say. Do you think children are going to learn by screaming at them? No! And the fact they just went away... makes me mad.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:00 PM   #5
bullfrog100000
With that many people and witnesses you'd think people, and Scott, would have made a point to make sure they stuck around so the cops could come. There needs to be punishment somewhere... likely it wouldn't be enough.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:11 PM   #6
99Vengeur
The bystanders are just as much to blame. How could you be admiring this beautiful creature and allow someone to do such a heinous act?? Why did no one try to stop this father-son duo of doom? In my honest of opinions, the people around them are guilty as well....inactivity is cowardly!

My gratitude for what Scott does and my sorrow for his loss go out to him and his House of Reptiles.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
romad119
I would have then introduced the gator......

Old 08-23-2007, 11:38 PM   #8
bullfrog100000
So sad so disgusted.

The letter from 'RJBILBY ' is great by the way I'd love to see that published somewhere. I don't know that I'll get any time at all but if by chance I did would you care if it got sent in to a local Rag?/

You know no matter how old you are if your saying things aren't like they used to be - your still right!

The thing about the kid, well ya the parents are responsible. And should have been made responsible. And If I thought there was any way to find them and bring charges I would still want to do so.. The fact that Dad's big expression at such a horror was "see thats why I can't take you anywhere!!!"
Is totally a statement of how far up his arse his own head is. A decent human being would surely have had something in the area of say an emotional shock, distress at the killing of ,1 -any creature of such stature, 2- certainly a creature clearly belonging to someone on display at a fair!! Wow hate to see him at the zoo.
If he was my kid I would have had trouble controlling my anger and total digust for his actions. probably would have insisted he leave w/ the cops to scare the hell out of him, very directly after he would have been enrolled in a serious mental health care plan.

Where was the fear of wrong doing????? On either of their parts!! The kid obviously had no fear what so ever of consequences for his actions. Even after being sent away he snuk back to do this awful thing. And in front of all these people . He obviously is reaching deep for some control and or attention in his world. So whats going on w. that kid at home??? Thats more than just seeing Dad kill a few snakes or even saying "no snakes a good snake" etc,,,
The kid also could be considered for a future serial killer, as he definitely fits the criteria. Never the less Dad is a jerk any way you look at it. I don't care what punishment he got -if he did. He should have been shown it was totally anti social behaviour, and made to apologize and made to make restitution. If it took the little monster the next 5 years of his creepy little life to pay or work it off on his own. Dad should be replacing the snake asap. That kid needs mental health care. Dead serious. not being funny. Wonder how many other innocent little creatures he's killed. Or for that matter Dad,, or if the kid has an anger problem due to something that happens to him in life....

Here's a really sad commentary tho,,,,,,, Our society has become so sociopathic in nature over the last couple decades its really scary. Percentages are scary of people who have little or no compassion for their fellow human let alone earths creatures. People have become mean and there's no real sense of decorum anymore. Its all about= do what you want ,how ever you want ,where ever, what ever's going on... Be mean ,rude, violent whatever.......Me,Me,Me, Entitlement issues along w/ the dumbing down of America go a long way to create an ugly society.. OK. I'm done now -I think ,,for now... ya ... G.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:45 PM   #9
bullfrog100000
Ya didn't they have security anybody who cared to stop them? If it were my snake I definitely would have been all over them in a real bad kinda way... Maybe Scott was so shocked he just couldn't believe it or react like that,ot react that quickly. too upset and just picking up his murdered pet. I would feel so awful.. G.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:15 PM   #10
SavannahIzCrazi
i would have replaced the snake and beat the SHIT out of my kid, put his damn foot in a cast.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!