Help, advice... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:16 AM   #1
odduc748
Help, advice...

Here are the basics:

I recently visited someone to whom I sold a collection of animals through Fauna Classifieds. Person "X" is supposed to be caring for a private collection of reptiles. During my visit I witnessed disgusting conditions for the animals "X" had been charged with maintaining. I can only guess at the living conditions of the animals I had sold to this person as I was not allowed into the home.

There is so much more to the story and I'd be willing to share it with anyone willing to help.

Some questions:

1)Would it be possible to have the local authorities inspect the home? And, if the animals are seized would they go back to their original owners? Or, how would a seizure of live animals be dispersed?

2)Is there an advocacy group or any type of rescue group I should contact for help? There are many other exotic animals in this private collection that are not being housed, fed or cared for as they should.

Obviously, I'd like to do whatever is possible within the law to rescue the animals.

Any advice is appreciated.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #2
Lucille
Animals are considered property, and as a class, reptiles have less statutory protection in many places than kitties and dogs.
'Disgusting conditions' covers a pretty broad set of practice. Are you talking no food, starving animals, no water in the water dishes, or are you talking cages which are not as clean as they ought to be? That can make a real difference as to what remedies may be available.

Ordinarily seized property does not revert to a previous owner, depending on the condition of the animals they may be euthanized, or treated and put up for adoption, or sent to a reptile rescue.

If you feel comfortable doing so, you might diplomatically approach the subject with the present owner, there's a big difference between hoarding and neglect, and possibly a temporary set of circumstances where the person may need a bit of help.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:20 PM   #3
odduc748
The situation is neglect. The cages are filthy with poop, dried food, empty water dishes and many are fogged over with a dirty film. The building with the reptiles stinks of mold and mildew and is littered with trash. There was even broken glass and dried, moldy vegetables inside a room housing an iguana.

Yes, 'disgusting', is a broad term. As I said, I will share the entire story with anyone or group willing to help.

This person cannot be reasoned with as they declare themselves an 'expert' and 'pioneer' of breeding.

Help can only come form a group of concerned people, an organization or law enforcement.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #4
odduc748
Also, as previously mentioned, there are many other exotic animals on the property. I saw many big cats(lions, tigers and jaguar) in open air cages with 5-6 to a cage far too small for a single cat. I also saw caged wolves, deer and boar. I was told there are also zebras and giraffe.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:29 PM   #5
bcr229
If this person is in NH then the big cats, deer, and wolf require a state permit to keep. Would this person have one? If not that's one way to get the authorities involved - but bear in mind that if that's the case most of the critters will probably be put down rather than rehomed.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:48 PM   #6
odduc748
This private collection of animals is in Mexico. The animals I sold this person are in California.

I fully understand that animal protection laws are loose, at best, in Mexico. But, I am exploring any options to help these animals. In fact, I would be willing to discuss with any international group dedicated to animal rescue.

What about the animals I sold to this person? Is there any chance to have the home inspected? At the very least?

Old 02-09-2017, 10:14 AM   #7
odduc748
Is there an organization anyone might suggest for help? Should I move this thread to another topic for more views from others who may know more on the subject?

I'm looking for some suggestions. I'm hoping someone might point me in the right direction.

Help!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!