question about a breaded dragons - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-30-2007, 11:42 PM   #1
darlene
question about a breaded dragons

I have a 11 week old dragon..who is pooping live worms,,I feed him crickets and phoenix worms.....any ideas ??thank you

Old 10-31-2007, 12:13 AM   #2
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by darlene
any ideas ??
Yes. Get him to a vet ASAP!

Old 10-31-2007, 11:41 AM   #3
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Are you saying that your dragon had full phoenix worms come out in the stool? Or, were they another type of worm?
There have been reports of phoenix worms or butterworms coming through them in tact, fully indigested. I do not know why other than the dragon must not have chewed them up or ate too many & they just passed through.
Are your temps optimal? You should probably get a fecal on your dragon.

Tracie

Old 11-02-2007, 08:16 AM   #4
darlene
Hi Tracie,

The phoenix worms came out whole and alive. It did not do that before when I fed them to hiom.His stool is also a little mucus in it..THank you very much

Darlene

Old 11-02-2007, 08:20 AM   #5
darlene
Tracie,

Yes his temp for hot spot 93 to110 ..and cool spot abot 75 to 80..He still is not eating any greens.. he is 11 weeks old this week..he eats the crickets well ... thanks for your help.
Darlene

Old 11-02-2007, 11:40 AM   #6
Drache613
Hello

Hello Darlene,

Thanks for the information. The basking temps are fine then, as long as you are measuring the temps with either a digital probe or a temp gun they should be accurate.
If the stool had a bit of mucous then you should probably just get a fecal done just to doublecheck the counts. Was it overly smelly? He has no problems with crickets? There have been accounts where the same thing has happened to other people though, where full phoenix worms have passed completely through, & the dragons were fine.
My only explanation would be that he either ate too many & did not chew all of them up so they just passed through or he ate too close to bedtime to fully digest them.
I know that Dr. Craig Sheppard is always open to answering questions regarding his feeders. You could also try to contact him for maybe a better explanation at:
http://www.phoenixworm.com/servlet/StoreFront

You should have good luck contacting him, he is usually around pretty often.

As for eating greens, that just takes time. Keep trying!! Offer them daily. Try handfeeding them, sometimes that works. If he is gaping, try to put a little bit in his mouth so he will start to recognize it as a food source.

Tracie

Old 11-05-2007, 03:45 PM   #7
darlene
Hey Tracie,
Thank you very much..you are a great help ...have a great day
Darlene

Old 11-05-2007, 10:35 PM   #8
Drache613
Hello

Hello Darlene,

Thanks! I hope that I helped out. Did you contact Dr. Sheppard?
Have anymore worms passed through in the same manner?

Tracie

Old 11-09-2007, 10:02 PM   #9
darlene
Hey Tracie,
That is so nice for you to help..No, I have not seen any worms..but I have one more question..he is 12 weeks old and 12 inches long..is that normal??? How many dragons do you have ? I am bringing him to a vet next monday just to be safe..thanks again
Darlene

Old 11-10-2007, 09:37 AM   #10
Drache613
Hello

Hello Darlene,

Well, that is good news you have not seen anymore worms like that then! Great you are taking him in to get a fecal on monday just to make sure all is well with him.
So, he is 3 months old, & 12 inches? I would say that is pretty good then. They are normally 3-4 inches as hatchlings or at birth, so, on average, with optimal food & lighting, they should grow 1/2 inch per week or so, that is about right. How old is your UVB light now, 3 months approximately?
We have 2 right now, & they are down in brumation. We look to be getting 4 next spring or summer time frame.
Let me know how things are going.

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!