1 of my beaded dragons died - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-03-2007, 02:10 AM   #1
themadstoner
1 of my beaded dragons died

I bought 2 bearded dragons about 3 months ago and they were babies they have been happy in the new home but recently i notice that one of them had gotten very skinny i was up all night last night trying to get it to eat and drink it seemed to have no energy and was just staring at its food, I managed to get it to eat a little bit of food and drink some water, i was planning on taking it to the vet the next day, but by then it had died, the other bearded is still extemely happy and eating well i just realy dont know what happened to the other one and why it wud choose not to eat or drink.

R.I.P beardy #1

Old 11-03-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Sorry to hear of your loss of your baby. :-(( That is never an easy thing to go through.
Were they housed separately? If not, it might be a good idea to take your other one in for a fecal & health checkup.
There are so many things that it could have been. Are you going to get a necropsy?
If you would like, we can run over your tank setup as well.

Tracie

Old 11-03-2007, 11:23 PM   #3
themadstoner
Hello, yes they were housed together, i am going to take the other one for a check up after the weekend. My tank setup is very basic i am looking a buying a whole new set up for Christmas, and possibly a mate for the one bearded that is left.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:50 PM   #4
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by themadstoner
Hello, yes they were housed together, i am going to take the other one for a check up after the weekend. My tank setup is very basic i am looking a buying a whole new set up for Christmas, and possibly a mate for the one bearded that is left.

No offense, but i would probably house them individually, one for quarantine purposes and two to reduce stress on the animals when you first purchase them.

Someone with actual beardie experience can tell you more about the introduction process, and how you should go about it, if at all.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:29 AM   #5
themadstoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
No offense, but i would probably house them individually, one for quarantine purposes and two to reduce stress on the animals when you first purchase them.

Someone with actual beardie experience can tell you more about the introduction process, and how you should go about it, if at all.
They were together because thats how i purchased them they were brothers they seemed to be very happy together at the time.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:31 AM   #6
themadstoner
What i would like to know is if anyone could recommend a vivarium, and lighting kit i have about 150 pounds to buy a whole new set up and any nice little extras.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:44 AM   #7
Valley Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by themadstoner
The dragons should never have been housed together. I'm not blaming you, I assume you did not know better. These are not social animals. Death, or at the least, intimidation and stress, are often a result of two dragon being kept together. And NEVER attempt to keep two males together. Period.

I think getting a whole different set-up if you plan to get a "mate" for you dragon is a good idea. And by mate, I assume you are referring to a female that you intend to eventually breed to your male - because dragon's don't need buddies. They are much happier without reptilian "friends".

Jamie

Old 11-05-2007, 10:33 PM   #8
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Totally agreed! Males, especially, do not need "buddies" & really should not be housed with a female either.
Two males absolutely cannot be housed together without fear of one being killed. If you are going to breed, it takes financial planning as well as quite a few setups for hatchlings, too.
A male should not be put in with a female for breeding purposes any longer than a few hours at a time, because sometimes, they just don't work together.

Tracie

Old 11-07-2007, 11:21 PM   #9
themadstoner
Thanks for the info guys, i still dont know weather the one left is a male or female is there any easy way of telling, the dragon is still very small however.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:06 AM   #10
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

If they are under 6 months, it is relatively hard to sex them. If you gently lift up the tail, & look carefully, you will maybe see either one bulge or two bulges.
If you have 1 bulge it is female but if there are 2 bulges it is male. However, sometimes, in young males that are not fully developed yet, they will fool you & there will only be 1 bulge until later. LOL
We can try to help you sex them, if you take some pictures of the underneath side of their tail, gently lifting the tail up. Make sure it is somewhat of a side angle instead of a straight on shot so we can see if there are any protruding bulges.

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!