Are snakes really that scary?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Lonely Hearts Club Forum

Notices

Lonely Hearts Club Forum Looking for someone with a common interest? Why not go where they hang out? Have fun, but not TOO much fun in here. ONLY members over 18 are welcome here.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:05 AM   #1
catawhat
Are snakes really that scary??

I am so sick of guys that I meet saying that snakes don't bother them, that they think it is cool that I have them but once they come face to face with the reality of my snakes it freaks them out or threatens them b/c I am more apt to consider my animals before them. Current BF (soon to be ex I am sure) is having a major issue with my animals, won't even come to the house, hates that I spend money on them etc... Ex hubby told me before he left that it was him or the animals and I feel like I am in that situation again. Hmm I wonder what my choice is Sorry,just needed to rant. I know there have to be guys out there who aren't threatened by a girl who has a few little ole snakes.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:02 AM   #2
hhmoore
Just like I know that there have to be women out there, lol. One might sneak up on you when you least expect it.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:04 AM   #3
Clay Davenport
Considering males outnumber females in this hobby probably 50 to 1 at least, I'm sure you'll eventually find a suitable male companion who enjoys snakes. My advice would be to hold out for such a person.
A couple who are both into snakes can be a great thing, take the Barkers, the Bells, or the Sutherlands for example. It can also be the bane of a relationship in certain situations. With both people enthusiastic about getting that next snake there is no voice of reason so to speak and it can get out of control quickly.

Before I got married 15 years ago, I explained one conditionto my wife to be. I already had snakes, I forget how many, but I explained to her that the one thing there was no discussion about would be my reptiles. She didn't share the passion for them, but neither did she dislike them. I explained to her then that if she ever came to me and said it's me or the snakes that I would help her pack.
Many people think that sounds harsh when I've told them that. However, I explained that to her prior to the marriage and she had the opportunity then to make the decision. Getting that out of the way avoided having it come up as an issue later. It's not putting the animals above the other person as most people take it, it's asking them to respect that which you enjoy. To ask you to give up something that brings you so much happiness is an extreme of selfishness in itself and as far as I'm concerned displays a lack of caring on their part.
While my wife does appreciate their beauty, she still doesn't share my passion for them, but my keeping snakes, regardless of the number, has never been an issue in any way during our marriage.

If your current boyfriend won't even come to your house because of the snakes, and you have no intention of giving them up, then that relationship is already over, you just haven't told each other yet.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:22 AM   #4
catawhat
LOL Harald, I know he is out there somewhere- I just need to stop looking and focus on other aspects of my life.
Clay, that was a very well written post. As far as the relationship being over, I think you are right, just hard to walk away from someone you care about. But... somethings I am NOT willing to change or give up.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:38 AM   #5
markface
i understand where your coming from . i have been in the same situation before and unfortunately i made the wrong choice .

i had kept reptiles of one kind or another from the age of 5 until shortly after getting ingaged at the age of 31 . i made the mistake of getting rid of my snakes for my ex when we decided to get married . it was probably one of the biggest mistakes i have ever made . the relationship only lasted about 5 years and ended very badly . had i insisted that my reptiles were a very important part of my life that i wasnt willing to part with i would most likely have lost the relationship at that point and would also prabably have had a much happier life in the long run .

now that i'm back into reptiles i wont make that mistake again . anyone i get invovled with will either have to understand that my reptiles are a permanent part of my life and atleast be willing to accept it . they dont have to participate in my hobby though it would be nice , but they will have to accept it . i will never again give up my critters for anyone again .

Old 11-30-2006, 09:42 AM   #6
Chris Steele
Males do out number females in this hobby as said above probably giving women a better chance of finding a partner to accept it, but then again that advantage is taken away by the fact that so few women keep them it may be considered 'too different' for some men. I have had trouble with girlfriends accepting that I keep snakes in my room before, but I've finally found a great one. At first she was scared of them (i think i've told this story before) but now she loves them and even has two beardies of her on. I just had to ..acclimate her lol to this new idea of serpants as friends I guess you could say. My best advice and I know I'm young, would be to try to have a sit down and talk about it. Explain that these are your pets and that him not understanding that and accepting it is to you the same as if you were to not accept that he has a pet dog and buys it food and pays for its bills.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:56 PM   #7
barbie69
I totally understand where you are coming from. It really does suck when you care about someone and then find out how they feel about your passion for animals.
I have been with my current hmmmmm, well I will call him my boyfriend for lack of a better term, since we have been together since I was 14 off and on. We have been married and divorced twice and currently live together . I guess we kinda grew up together and now we have very little in common..especially my passion for all animals. It is not a new passion, but as an adult who owns my own house, I am now able to have the animals I have always dreamed of having. Needless to say he thinks I am crazy and out of control with my animals.
I think the worst part is that I want to share my passion with him and he has absolutley no interest. When I clean cages or get the animals out he is not around. I practically have to beg him to hang out in the basement with me while I spend hours caring for my animals and I just think that sucks! He does help by cutting lids when needed and he has helped build a rack and a tortoise home but he does not share my enthusiasm for the hobby. It is sad and I am not sure this is something I can live with forever.
I am a 37 year old mother of three beautiful daughters(18,17,14) and I want to spend my life with the perfect mate...is there really such a thing out there ??

Old 11-30-2006, 02:48 PM   #8
Schlyne
I have had a guy who breeds retic's tell me he was scared to death of my tarantulas. I would love to find a guy that shares at least one hobby with me.

I think Chris has the right idea with the explanation.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:11 PM   #9
LadyOhh
It's hard but not impossible...

Old 12-03-2006, 09:31 PM   #10
Bill_Leverton
HMMMMM Women who love Spiders & Snakes,

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!