Bad Guy Off the ark exotic pets - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:54 PM   #21
SSmith
Are you a rep for prevent a mite becouse you sure seem to be taken this personal pardon someone for speaking.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:55 PM   #22
jglass38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
Read your article see your point but it does match chemical for chemical and works just as good as PAM so to each their own everyone i know has used it for the last couple years and no problems.
No, it doesn't work the same as PAM. It offers NO residual protection so unless you continually retreat, new eggs will hatch and reinfestation will take place. You can lead a horse to water...

Old 09-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #23
yoyokrs
I bought an adult pair of Dumeril boas from Vinny about a month ago and I have absolutely no complaints.The animals were better than described,packaged well and shipped fast.I was lucky and didn't get any mites but I wouldn't have been surprised or real upset.A few mites are bound to get through now and then.Nobody wants them but it is part of the hobby.It can be hard to completely eliminate them especially for dealers with untold numbers of animals coming and going.I was quite happy and would definitely buy from Off the Ark again.Just throwing out my experience.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:38 PM   #24
TailsWithScales
Send a snake with mites whether it's known by the seller or not is extremely unprofessional and to me requires more then just a "Oh sorry".

PAM does not kill the eggs!!!!! It's written right on their website:

* Provent-a-mite™ is the only patented, EPA & USDA approved product specifically labeled for use with all reptiles that has undergone more than 25 years of research, clinical testing and use to insure that it will effectively eradicate mites and ticks that feed on your reptiles. Unlike many other treatments, Provent-a-mite™ poses no potential harm to the host being treated when used as directed. No other product can make these claims! . Provent-a-mite™ is the only product that is proven to provide long-term residual protection, so it will kill any larval mites or ticks when they hatch and try to infest your reptiles. All other products quickly break down, becoming ineffective soon after drying.

* Provent-a-mite™ is the only product backed by EPA approved studies, confirming it can be used preventatively to protect your reptiles in addition to eradicating an existing outbreak. Simply treat substrate, racks, enclosure openings, etc. once a month as directed to kill any potentially disease carrying mites or ticks before they can infect your reptiles.

Nix however DOES kill the eggs:
By choosing the Nix® Lice Treatment, you are making the best decision for a proactive plan to eliminate lice. Nix is so often the first choice at the onset of a lice infestation because it is both proven effective and proven safe. Nix Lice Treatment is the #1 professionally recommended brand* for the treatment of lice, and the only prescription strength product available without a prescription. Nix offers a proven formula that quickly and effectively eliminates lice and their eggs.

I have used both and personally I feel the Nix is a more effective product purely for the fact that it kills the eggs and is cheaper and easier to get in a hurry or in a pinch (late at night and such). Mites lay their eggs (for those who do not know) in the substrate or on the enclosure surface, even on logs, plants and the side of the water bowl. So the sooner the eggs are killed the better. I use Reptile Relief As my whole animal treatment as it kills mites and ticks on contact and is safe to put right on the animal without worry. So I am all for using Nix until PAM could be used on the enclosure or in place of. I hope that makes sense.

Just my two cents.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #25
jglass38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailsWithScales View Post
Send a snake with mites whether it's known by the seller or not is extremely unprofessional and to me requires more then just a "Oh sorry".

PAM does not kill the eggs!!!!! It's written right on their website:

* Provent-a-mite™ is the only patented, EPA & USDA approved product specifically labeled for use with all reptiles that has undergone more than 25 years of research, clinical testing and use to insure that it will effectively eradicate mites and ticks that feed on your reptiles. Unlike many other treatments, Provent-a-mite™ poses no potential harm to the host being treated when used as directed. No other product can make these claims! . Provent-a-mite™ is the only product that is proven to provide long-term residual protection, so it will kill any larval mites or ticks when they hatch and try to infest your reptiles. All other products quickly break down, becoming ineffective soon after drying.

* Provent-a-mite™ is the only product backed by EPA approved studies, confirming it can be used preventatively to protect your reptiles in addition to eradicating an existing outbreak. Simply treat substrate, racks, enclosure openings, etc. once a month as directed to kill any potentially disease carrying mites or ticks before they can infect your reptiles.

Nix however DOES kill the eggs:
By choosing the Nix® Lice Treatment, you are making the best decision for a proactive plan to eliminate lice. Nix is so often the first choice at the onset of a lice infestation because it is both proven effective and proven safe. Nix Lice Treatment is the #1 professionally recommended brand* for the treatment of lice, and the only prescription strength product available without a prescription. Nix offers a proven formula that quickly and effectively eliminates lice and their eggs.

I have used both and personally I feel the Nix is a more effective product purely for the fact that it kills the eggs and is cheaper and easier to get in a hurry or in a pinch (late at night and such). Mites lay their eggs (for those who do not know) in the substrate or on the enclosure surface, even on logs, plants and the side of the water bowl. So the sooner the eggs are killed the better. I use Reptile Relief As my whole animal treatment as it kills mites and ticks on contact and is safe to put right on the animal without worry. So I am all for using Nix until PAM could be used on the enclosure or in place of. I hope that makes sense.

Just my two cents.
You sure about that? Nix kills lice eggs. I am not aware that it kills mite eggs. I don't know how similar lice and mites are. Do you? Nix is made to kill lice on humans. PAM is the only product tested and approved for use with reptiles. I think I'll trust and recommend PAM, thanks!

By the way, I never said PAM kills mite eggs. I said it has residual effects that kill new mites after they hatch to avoid reinfestation.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:55 PM   #26
hhmoore
Please take the mite eradication discussion to another section - the "how to" and product comparisons don't belong in this thread....which, by the way, is about Off The Ark.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:56 PM   #27
jglass38
Additionally, I have heard plenty of horror stories about neurological problems and death occurring from the misuse of home brew mite remedies. I think everyone should use what they are comfortable with. I just feel a certain responsibility when asked for a recommendation on how to deal with mites to recommend something that I KNOW is safe for use around reptiles. I don't need the death of someone's animal on my conscience.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:24 PM   #28
Heather82
Well, from what I've understood you shouldn't use such things on your snake, with all the chemicals and all. I use reptile relief, something specially made for reptiles. And I don't spray them in the face, I spray it on my hand then rub their face. My bad.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:32 PM   #29
evilcowboy420
Jesus for those too stuck up to read I didn't all out spray the animal in the face. I misted over the entire quarantine tank. and it falls in a MIST over the entire snake. The snake isn't seizing or showing any adverse effect as a result of doing this. The only thing the snake is doing now is not soaking in the freakin water dish and seems more comfortable than it has been since I got it. Also IT WAS LATE AT NIGHT. I am glad pet stores stay open 24, 7 in the area of some people but they don't in my area and close at 5:30. This is not a debate about what mite meds I use and if they work. Bottom line on the mite meds is Nix kills eggs, protects for 14 days to prevent re-infestation, and is EPA approved for use on a freakin 2 month old CHILD. Now let me explain how children work. They are born with a very low immune system and are susceptible to just about any know disease because they haven't received inoculations for 99% of what killed people years ago. So for a company to make a claim such as this is waaaaaaay more admirable and I trust it more than some idiot marketing guru slapping a label on water and Permethrine and saying 100% safe for use on reptiles. And yes the same amount of Permethrine is in nix as is PAM and yes if its safe for a baby I am sure a reptile could use it. That inactive ingredients that everyone on the other thread was saying that the company would never release. Yeah that ingredient is water and safe detergents to make it smell pretty. Some people hear about 1 company killing cats (Hartz and no Sergents don't count SAME COMPANY) and then all of a sudden all products are unsafe and will kill everything. BTW Hartz was using a completely different insecticide than they currently use at the time and has since revised the formula they use for fleas. They corrected their mistake something not a lot of companies can say.

Now I could go on all day long about the adverse reactions of certain drugs and yes some would say blah blah your wrong blah blah but the fact is it don't matter. The snake should have NEVER been sent with a parasite on it period. And to do so shows poor business skills. I mean why do people expect the Health inspector to shut down a crappy restaurant but not expect someone to be shut down sending out sick animals. Incidentally PetSmart was sued for the same thing. So essentially its ok if a small store sends sick animals but as soon as a large corporation does it whoa watch out. Does anyone even realize how hypocritical that actually sounds?

It may be me but would it have killed them to break open a bottle of the PAM that some of you are so hell bent on using and spray the snake before putting it in the box? Also is it too much to ask to clearly label a perishable item and for it to be handled properly by UPS after all UPS' terms of service clearly states you are to clearly mark a reptile as such and put air holes in it. Ship your reptiles even sells a kit for idiots who can't read and figure out how to ship a snake.

Also if mites were something that JUST HAPPENS I figured out how to stop it from just happening. stop taking your snakes outside and placing them in the unclean grass. You know this is how cats and dogs get fleas too.

Oh yeah mites ARE a form of Lice and are quite close relatives. Wikipedia works wonders.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #30
evilcowboy420
oh yeah

Proventamite

http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_...DIST_NR=073617

Nix

http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_...DIST_NR=071794

READ the toxicity summary at the bottom on both products. What????? Its the same?????? why ???? Cause its the same ingredients???? wow

yeah this is what is know in internet lingo as PWNED.

Incidentally not all tree huggin naturalistic methods work. Some parisites evolve and become immune to natural pesticides.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!