Poison Dart Frog Health - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:36 PM   #11
dieselfan
They were housed together when they were under an inch.. Yes they ended up getting seperated. If you dont agree with my post send me a PM.. Lets chat=)

Old 04-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #12
porkchop48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfan View Post
They were housed together when they were under an inch.. Yes they ended up getting seperated. If you dont agree with my post send me a PM.. Lets chat=)
Why PM?

So then you do agree that they should not be mixed and they might have helped lead to the their death?

Old 04-21-2010, 03:16 PM   #13
Ramiro
Quote:
A 10 gallon enclosure for froglet dart frogs is way too big. Assuming your frogs were under an inch. I kept mine(2 auratus,and1 tinctorious) in a 8"X8"X12" plastic container and they did great!... Until I moved them into a 10gallon. After a week or two I noticed they were getting lethargic and on the skinny side. I called the breeder I got them from, explained the symptoms and setup and was told that the 10 gallon was too big for frogs that size. Put them back in my smaller tank and they had all bounced back within a week. Hope this helps. Sorry for your loss too!
Quote:
I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything but no, I don't agree with your post because I'm trying to help someone out who's new with dart frogs and it's clear you definitely don't know enough about dart frogs to be telling someone else what they should or shouldn't do. I just hope the OP and others new to dart frogs ignore your misinformation.
I don't PM unless I'm trying to make a sale or trade with someone.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:31 PM   #14
dieselfan
Yes I totally AGREE that juvenile and adult frogs should not be housed in inter-specie groups!! Im not arguing that FACT! However I was told by a breeder, and have seen first hand that enclosure size can be a factor when dealing with froglets.. I was just trying to offer another explanation.. Being as no one here has seen his set-up, or the actual size of his frogs.. Um yeah need I say more? We are all just speculating causes..

Old 04-23-2010, 03:08 PM   #15
heebie.jeebies
Thank you everyone so much for your help, I really appreciate all of you taking the time to give me advice.

If and when I get more frogs, I will be sure to keep them separate! Just to note, though, in case anyone thought this, I didn't keep them together to breed them. I was just keeping them together as babies because I thought they would be social and get along. If only they were as friendly with each other as they were cute....

Old 04-24-2010, 08:07 PM   #16
MyDumName
I would say that housing different species frogs is not the greatest idea in this size enclosure. Can it be done...yeah sure with the right species and set up. To say they are fine due to their size, I have to disagree. Those frogs all have different adult sizes and have different growth rates, so it won't really work out. As said previously, they all have different temperaments. Even frogs of the same species have different temperaments. I've had to remove froglets of the same species into new enclosures due to some being more aggressive than others. And this aggressiveness is not something that can necessarily be seen. Often, you just tell by a slight difference in size amongst same age frogs. Pull the smaller ones out, and next thing you know they are back up in size as the others. Just weren't compatible together just yet.

Spanish moss....I wouldn't use it. Sphagnum would be more ideal, moist of course. I also prefer to raise my froglets in the 190oz containers with just sphagnum and some leaf litter (bigger leaves, pothos could be planted and do fine in this set up as well). No lights except room lighting, no heat source. As far as temperatures, bad things happen above 80 degrees. I have had no problems keeping them anywhere in the 70s. Most room temperature is fine (most). In addition, I have used 2.5 gallon or the 5.5 gallon aquariums commonly available. Solid glass lid. This setup costs more of course. I prefer the 190oz. With moist sphagnum, and a slight mistig initially, you will probably not need to mist. 100% humidity will be obtained with no ventilation in this set up. I have a different setups for my adults (well, I sold most of my stuff), but I use whatever size tnk with a glass lid and small vent section. False bottom with PVC and eggcrate and my substrate is a cocobrick mixed with orchid bark and charcoal usually. Or tree fern fiber instead of or in addition to orchid bark. Then leaf litter and some plants.

Supplements, yeah I use phosphorus free rep-cal calcium powder and rep cal herptivite (blue and pink label). I dust every feeding. I don't count the flies, I put a bunch in, and they last a little while, then I feed again a few days later.

Enclosure size and froglets....yeah I personally don't go too big initially. Just personal preference from experience...easier to monitor, cheaper, etc.

Someone mentioned were they CB....I believe only really one of those species is regularly imported, the auratus. The others, I'd say you would have a much harder time finding WC than CB. Plus with the size of them, don't believe they were imports. Highly unlikely.

As far as obtaining some more, I see you are in Toms River, I am near Cherry Hill. I currently am only keeping one trio of auratus, Panamanian Green & Blacks. I have 4 well off offspring that I would consider selling as a group. I also have tadpoles, but not many that I will either sell off when I get a good amount of tads, or could hook you up with some froglets if I don't sell them. My prices are very fair and I could give you further explanation as well about keeping darts successfully. I could give you the info either way, just ask, ha. Oh, I have a lot of the supplies I mentioned earlier as well, like the charcoal and tree fern fiber, etc in case you need some. I have a bunch too that I don't need. Kind of got out of darts recently.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!