The truth about blue phase White's tree frogs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 10-01-2004, 06:34 PM   #1
mercedesherp
The truth about blue phase White's tree frogs

I had a customer that buys 100's of frogs from me every year relate that one of his customers was very angry because my blue phase White's tree frog babies were not blue and appeared to be normal White's. I expained that had I shipped smaller frogs they would have looked more blue. I also informed him that this is a co-dominate trait (heresay) and it is possible that some frogs may not turn blue. I have kept green ones and the occasional more blueish ones and after 14 months all of them are some degree of blue. I have seen blue frogletts turn green and vise versa. If you have baby blue White's tree frogs from a reputable source and they look like normals to you, wait untill after dark and then check them with a light and you should see varying shades of blue. Allow ample time for the frogs to become established and stress free before doing this. Some bloodlines may exibit more blue coloration at an earlier age than others. When one purchases blue phase White's tree frogs without seeing them first, one should not expect a box full of blue frogs. I raise and sell over 1000 of these every year and I would like every one to know that none of these babies actually look very blue all of the time. The blue coloration will develop and intensify as the frog matures. At metamorphosis they look more blue than at 4 weeks of age. At about 4 weeks they are all green in coloration and none appear blue. When the frogs reach quarter size ( 10 weeks ) blue coloration becomes more obvious. There will be a lot of color changing on these and today your frog may look blue and tomorrow it will be green again. Patience is required while the frogs slowly become more and more blue. I would very much like to hear from anyone that may have an opinion or experience concerning this. (As an example, baby tomato frogs are not red until they begin to mature.) Hank Gibson

Old 01-23-2005, 10:58 PM   #2
Cyphyrys
Wink

could you maybe sell me a blue phase?? if so e-mail me at sic_bastard_sic@yahoo.com.. or message me on msn.. msn account is psychomantis5727@aol.com

Old 02-20-2005, 04:31 PM   #3
KNOBTAIL
There is something else that should be taken

into consideration. As we are aware their are 2 types of Whites. One of which is Indonesian. Those are no longer being bred and offered for sale as babies. The original babies were coming out of Europe. That is now gone. So the only Whites that are being bred and sold are the true White Australian Dumpys (Blues) . That is what I would explain if your customer. Their are no more options open, and it would be impossible to give the wrong frog , as far as color is concerned. whatever color the frog turns, is related to a very complex system that cannot be morphed out or please a perspective buyer with the exception of an albino or some other freak of nature. JERRY TRESSER

Old 03-10-2007, 01:01 AM   #4
smileyfroggy
I would also love to buy a pair of blue phases!! I am a new member and have not quite gotten used to this site yet, but I think I'm ready to replace the frog I recently lost to a tumor.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:29 PM   #5
sschind
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOBTAIL
into consideration. As we are aware their are 2 types of Whites. One of which is Indonesian. Those are no longer being bred and offered for sale as babies. The original babies were coming out of Europe. That is now gone. So the only Whites that are being bred and sold are the true White Australian Dumpys (Blues) . That is what I would explain if your customer. Their are no more options open, and it would be impossible to give the wrong frog , as far as color is concerned. whatever color the frog turns, is related to a very complex system that cannot be morphed out or please a perspective buyer with the exception of an albino or some other freak of nature. JERRY TRESSER
OK, I know this is an old thread but information is information correct?

Jerry, how is it that you know the indonesian whites are no longer being bred and offered as babies (either at the time of your post which is admittedly a long time ago, or currently) I have a trio of Whites that I bought as adults with the intention of breeding them. Since these were WC adults I think I am safe to assume that they are Indonesians. With the plethora of adult Whites being offered I find it hard to believe that there are no baby Indonesians available.

Like I said, I know this is an old post but if the information is accurate now as it was then I would like to hear some confirmation, and if the information has changed I would like to know that as well.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:18 PM   #6
mercedesherp
Steve,

Indos are in fact being bred by some. They are slightlly less than the Aussie
blues. Many have hybridized the two when same locale sexes were not avial.
Mike at Sandfire Dragon Ranch currently breeds both. I lost all of this years production of Aussie blues because of a power failure during the last ice storm. There is a strong market for cb White's here in the US and thousands can be sold anually with little effort.

Hank

Old 03-24-2007, 02:53 PM   #7
Ed Clark
Thumbs up

Add me to the list of Indonesian Whites Tree frog breeders.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #8
Red-Eye
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschind
OK, I know this is an old thread but information is information correct?

Jerry, how is it that you know the indonesian whites are no longer being bred and offered as babies (either at the time of your post which is admittedly a long time ago, or currently) I have a trio of Whites that I bought as adults with the intention of breeding them. Since these were WC adults I think I am safe to assume that they are Indonesians. With the plethora of adult Whites being offered I find it hard to believe that there are no baby Indonesians available.

Like I said, I know this is an old post but if the information is accurate now as it was then I would like to hear some confirmation, and if the information has changed I would like to know that as well.
From what I have heard is that the country of Australia closed its borders for export a long time ago. So essentially ALL Whites that are wild caught in the pet trade are from nearby Islands like Indonesia. As far as I know, Sandfire is the only place that has True Australian Whites that are CB.

Red-Eye

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!