HELP! Moths... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 02-11-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
Chris Steele
Angry HELP! Moths...

I got moths in my rodent feed and now they are EVERYWHERE any advice??

Old 02-11-2006, 02:22 PM   #2
PaulSage
Chris, what do they look like? Are they those tiny little grain moths or seed moths? Sorry I don't know what they're called, but I've seen a lot of them in wild bird food and other grain mixes. If that's what they are, you can use both fly paper and these nifty little moth traps that use some sort of phermone as bait, but I'm not sure where you'd get them. I know they have them at the Farm & Fleet stores around here (WI).

Old 02-11-2006, 02:56 PM   #3
Chris Steele
Think they'd have something at walmart. I think, but am not sure, that they came from some squirrel feed that I mixed in with my mouse feed. They are very little, maybe 1/4" max and are a brownish color with a light brown stripe inbetween that. They won't eat holes in my clothes will they??

Old 02-11-2006, 03:00 PM   #4
PaulSage
I don't think they'll bother your clothes--I'm pretty sure that's a different kind of moth. What you're describing does sound like what I've always heard referred to as 'seed moths' or 'grain moths'. They lay eggs and make webs in different grain/seed mixes and then tiny yellowish larvae hatch out. Chances are, if you see webbing develop in grain or seed, that's what they are. Those moth traps do seem to work though.

Old 02-11-2006, 03:08 PM   #5
Chris Steele
Thanks. I have to get rid of them before they drive me completely insane.. they multiply so fast.

Old 02-11-2006, 04:09 PM   #6
coyote
They will get into anything you have that is made from grain. They even get into nuts. The larvae will actually chew through plastic and cellophane wrappings. Anytime you see these moths in feed it means that the feed has sat around for a while. I would not buy feed from a supplier where the moths can be seen flying around in the vicinity of the feed storage.

They are pests. But, the larvae are relished as food by insectivorous reptiles, birds and fish. I intentionally raised them for just this reason. Real easy to raise too. But, do not allow adult moths to escape into your house.

They will go into a torpor under cold temperatures. Don't be fooled into thinking they are dead. They may not be and will revive once they warm up again.

They have a defensive behavior that can defeat attempts to capture them. They drop, out of the sky or off a wall and disappear readily. I place my hand or a container right underneath them then encourage them to drop by coming at them from above or blowing on them. If you want to snatch them out of the air, come up at them from underneath. In no way can you consider this an effective method for eradication. It is just for entertainment.

Old 02-11-2006, 08:47 PM   #7
Chris Steele
What do you feed them to? THey are tiny? Dart frogs/anoles?

Old 02-12-2006, 12:02 PM   #8
coyote
I fed them to my Betta splendeens, a Cedar Waxwing (who also loved to catch the moths), Anoles and pygmy Chameleons. They went wild for the larvae. It was like dropping a box of Snicker bars on a Kindergarten class. The Waxwing would come from wherever he was in the room to my hand to gobble them up. He also loved red licorice--go figure.

I feed the moth larvae (in part) on pelleted bird food. There must be something really appetizing about the pelleted bird food because my iguanas love it too and would try to eat it from the bird's cup.

When I mentioned that the larvae would chew through plastic wrappers that was just an introduction. They will also chew through the thick woody shells of nuts and seeds.

Old 02-12-2006, 09:28 PM   #9
Chris Steele
Well atleast you've put the pests to good use.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:49 PM   #10
Chris Steele
I've got to bring this thread back up as those ***** are impossible to get rid of. I still have them though they are in lesser numbers. I don't think it will be possible for me to get rid of them. I keep mealies, roaches, mice, hamsters, snakes, beardies, and soon probably crickets and superworms. Can these pests cause any harm to any of my animals?? If so, I will go out of my way to eradicate them all, if not then I give up haha.

A few random questions:
-How hard would you rate crickets to raise? Please compare to something so I can get an idea..

-Are crickets significantly more nutritions and lower in chitin than superworms?

-How should I go about grinding up catfood for my feeders?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!