Building your own cage? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 04-21-2006, 10:02 AM   #11
Chris_Harper2
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbloodwyvern
hello,
I am looking to build something with a nice looking finish, so stained with a clear coat would be ideal.

I was hoping to be able to make the cage look semi natural with a fake rock wall or some kind of texturing they can climb on and a few permenent branches in various places.

i think i will make mine smaller around 40-45 (gallons) if i make it all myslef. If i get a large piece of furniture that is reasonable to fix up
I have several comments.

Modifying furniture can be very cool and will lend itself well to the species you plan to keep.

40-45 gallon size sounds fine, but just make sure you leave enough height to allow for the amount of decoration you want. Pick the approximate floor area first and then build it tall enough to accomodate the decoration you want.

If your cages will all be stacked together and the sides/tops will be more or less hidden it might not be worth it to build these cages from a nice looking laminated plywood. If the interior will be covered with faux rockwork and the outsides will be more or less covered there really is no reason to use an expensive cabinet grade material for the carcass of the cage.

There is a way to build cages in the 50 gallon range that are both cheap, light, and attractive. I'll see if I can post some pictures to show you what I mean.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:16 AM   #12
darkbloodwyvern
thanks

that sounds cool, i would love to see pictures or designs, whatever you can post at your leisure. thank you

Old 04-23-2006, 11:09 AM   #13
Chris_Harper2
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbloodwyvern
that sounds cool, i would love to see pictures or designs, whatever you can post at your leisure. thank you
It might just be easier if you email me. Just take my fauna user-name and add it to At Yahoo Dot Com

Old 04-24-2006, 08:22 PM   #14
Art Klass
I built these units about a couple years ago. They are 5' wide, 2' deep and 18" high. Each unit has two enclosures, however the center panel opens so one large enclosure is an option. The floor is raised and heat tape is run underneath. Both units are stained and have many coats of poly on them.
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2006, 08:29 PM   #15
SIRS
nice cages art gives me more ideas ,just what i need i think i have it down and then you had to show me this now i have to see how it turns out if i make one ...lol,it looks heavy is it?.and how thick of plywood did you use?

Old 04-24-2006, 08:39 PM   #16
Art Klass
Quote:
nice cages art gives me more ideas ,just what i need i think i have it down and then you had to show me this now i have to see how it turns out if i make one ...lol,it looks heavy is it?.and how thick of plywood did you use?
I used 1/2" ply and used 1/2" MDF for the framing. Yes, They are pigs. They work well for me though. Just hard to move by myself.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!