questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-14-2005, 04:32 PM   #1
dragonflame
Talking questions

Okay. Im getting my very first crestie saturday!!!!! Obviously I have no experience with them and I have a couple questions.

1.I dont need to buy or make any hides right? I just have to make some hiding places in the foliage?

2.If I use crested gecko diet I dont have to feed it anything else right (besides the baby food or fruit mash it goes in)?

3. Do I need a heat lamp? My house is at the right but cooler temps and I wanted to know if they need to bask.

4. And this is just out of curiosity, why cant a young crestie be in a large enclosure? Everyone says they shouldnt be but why?

Old 07-14-2005, 06:44 PM   #2
CrazyRhacos
1.yes u do need some hide spots for them they will use the plants but put one in there just to make sure he has some other place they usually come up with a favorite hid spot..a good hide spot is a toilet role(with out the papper

2you always need crikets..the diet is good for them and they CAN live off of it but with a baby they might like only crickets or they might just like CGD but see what s/he likes....but dont JUST give it CGD.it like the meat.

3 if yoour getting a juvie yoou dont want it to get any hotter than 80f.you shouldent need one but if it get REALLY cold like 60 put a heat pad under on low...
4 you dont want a big cage because they will be overwhellmed with the space so just (if your getting a juvie/hatcling) put him in like a 5 gallon or a kritter keeper and u do know they need daily misting....well i hope this helps you if u have any further questions just askand i will do my best to answere .

ps post a pic when u get it (if u can)

jeff

Old 07-14-2005, 06:47 PM   #3
dragonflame
Thanks for the answers, I will be posting pics, dont worry about that! I am so excited about getting it! How old do they need to be before they can be in an 18x18x24"?

Old 07-14-2005, 07:22 PM   #4
CrazyRhacos
i would say 6 months to an adult around probly 18-25 grams.once and adult he can stay in that for his life and i am guessing it is the exoterra tank?nice tank i have one my self that i hold a 1.1 in.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:26 PM   #5
dragonflame
Yeah, Im really happy with it. Its the one really nice thing I have for my herps. I just got it a couple days ago. Its so empty! I cant wait to put something in it. I might get an adult but I just dont know what age cresties they have at the place I'm going to. I thought it would be perfect for cresties! I love exo-terra, they have some pretty neat stuff!

Old 07-14-2005, 08:58 PM   #6
CrazyRhacos
are you getting it at a show or a pet shop....i hope it is a herp shop and not a petsmart petco...yes they have nice cresteds but they often have sick animals and they dont keep them right....i would say if your going to get a pet get a sub or a 4 month old and raise it...thats what i did with mine(RIP pongo)

Old 07-14-2005, 10:51 PM   #7
dragonflame
Well, I cant lie, I got it at a petsmart... We dont have any reptile specialty stores around where I live ... We dont have much here, I cant wait to move somewhere there are more things. The only shows are at least 5 hours away, no one will take me. I looked around at a petsmart near where I live and the only thing I didnt like about it was the leos (too many in one cage) and the different species living together(only one instance with a cham and a lizard), but even they didnt seem very stressed. I didnt see many animals that werent taken care of. All of them seemed healthy except one of the leos (It was a tad skinny, but not anything like what I've seen before). It wasnt even that bad. I was expecting worse, I even thought I would walk out with a rescue, I definately would have, but I didnt see anything really bad in there... I guess its far worse up north, it makes sense, no one notices the valley. They didnt even carry some popular herps because they knew it was too hard to take care of them. I apologize to people who think its bad that I go. I have been going to that petsmart since forever (just looking, almost never buying) and I never saw anything bad. If I go and see herps that are very ill, I will do what is possible. Its just hard for me. If I want a reptile I have to go because its dangerously hot to ship down here (in spring summer and some of autumn its in the hundreds) and its the only big pet store that carries what I want.... They had the terarrium for a pretty good price! I hope I didnt offend anyone though. Some people are very sensitive about it...

Old 07-14-2005, 10:52 PM   #8
dragonflame
Oh, well anyway I was talking about the terarrium. I am going to a petstore up there for the crestie. Sorry to double post.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:01 PM   #9
CrazyRhacos
i am not saying they are skinney..but alot of them have parasites bc they will put a crested in a cage that used to house leos and they didnt clean it very good and their is some internal parasites that some leos carry that cresteds will get....my friend got a crested their and it died like 2 weeks later and he took it to the vet to have an optopsi(i dont know how to spell it they cut him open)and tey found a parasite that was transfered from leos and we went back and asked them about them and they said all the leos and cresteds and berdies died...so thats why i dont really trust petsmart animals....i would say to save your money and try and ship one their maybe later on in the year when it is cooler...tats what i would do.......here is my crestie cage that i house a 1.2 in.maybe u can do it when u get some more and if u look in the left corner area u can see my cresties breeding.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2005, 11:25 PM   #10
dragonflame
Thanks for the advise on petsmart... I am going to be cautious wherever I go now... I am really interested in having a trio, thats why I got my big ol' terrarium! And I really dont know what I'm gonna get! It may be a juvie or it could be an adult! I love cresties. I want to get some soon, I've just been looking forward to having one for soooo long!

Oh, its autopsy!! Hehe!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!