Beware: Of Reptileguru. - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:52 AM   #51
jnjreptile
Everyone needs to actually read the post's. Jim never offered to cancel the deal. He offered to treat the snake and then ship or ship it out that day. I highly doubt he would have treated before shipping it to us because he never treated it in the first place. If he had then the mites or at least some of them would have been dead. As far as us having a problem with mites in the first place that is bull. what we had told Jim was we just sprayed our collection with prevent-a-mite to prevent mites from coming. we spray them every month. Jim's collection is the one that has the mite problem. This is nothing againest Jim. What this post was started for was to warn people to keep their eyes out for mites. As I said before it is a done deal. It is over with. I don't see why everyone keeps dragging it on. Maybe it is for their own entertainment. This is the last post you will see from us.

Old 01-26-2006, 11:22 AM   #52
Chameleon Company
Taking your advice Josh ..

Quote:
JNJ - Josh, from his last post:
Everyone needs to actually read the post's. Jim never offered to cancel the deal.
So, I went back and read post #1.
Quote:
JNJ - Josh, from his thread-starter:
After we purchased it the Owner/Jim called us and told us that he had found 5-10 mites on the snake and wanted to know if we still wanted him shipped and he would include a bottle of mite off or if we wanted to wait and he would treat the snake before shipping. We told him that if it only had a few mites it could easily be treated and we quarantine everything when we receive it anyways, so go ahead and ship it......
By your own words, it sounds very much like you had a choice at this point, and you made it.

And then this section of Jim's (Reptile Guru) reply in post #3:
Quote:
We offered to cancel the sale, treat the snake for mites ourselves, or we could remove all visible mites and send the snake with a bottle of Zoo Med Mite Off free of charge.
Which you never refuted until now. And if the offer to cancel was misunderstood, Jim has been consistent in wanting to do right by offering a complete refund at every turn, to include by his well-trained employees right from the beginning. I hope that the snake recovers and prospers for its owners.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:42 PM   #53
kmurphy
Quote:
We called ReptileGuru to work out some sort of partial refund from how we had already paid to have him treated.
Quote:
......give us a refund upon arrival. I said no due to the fact that we had already treated the snake.
As has been said before, whether it was 5-10 mites or hundreds of mites doesn't make a difference, the treatment is the same. So the partial refund shouldn't be due to the treatment as that had already been agreed to by the acceptance of the snake.

How did the snake look? Was it healthy otherwise? And how is it doing now?

Old 01-26-2006, 02:04 PM   #54
liquidleaf
Yes, where are those photos of the snake?

Old 01-26-2006, 05:49 PM   #55
prehistoric
Proof

I should be able to prove with my phone records that I contacted JnJ reptiles before I billed them. I have to check the credit card copies to see if there is an actual time stamped on it as well. This may help back up the fact that I offered to cancel the sale. The only problem is it may be a few weeks before I get my phone statement. I will post that information here if it is available. The bottom line is JnJ is being dishonest about the offer to cancel the sale. In fact, JnJ was happy that I was truthful with them and made it clear during our phone conversation.

Thank you,
Jim Alles

Old 01-28-2006, 11:21 PM   #56
Junkyard
As I said, I went and visited Jim's store today, here are my findings.

Let me start with saying I do not know Jim, in fact he was not there today as he was away doing presentations with his animals. I have never met him I did not know AJ, we also have not met until today.

We arrived around 2:30pm, the store is not really large, but I did notice how clean the floors and glass on the cages are. Inside the cages I saw clean substrate and clean animals. Some of the cages are extremely large, fitting for the monitors and retics they own. I met up with Aj, he was very straight forward and polite, we spoke a bit about this whole incident and then procede to discuss a little about the animals they have. I ask to hold a Columbian boa, AJ quickly retrieved it for me, the snake was warm and very active. It is kept in a bark/mulch substrate, I figured if mites were to be the hardest to spot quickly, it would be on this snake. Guess what? No mites!

From there I asked AJ about a large boa that was not looking the best, it had a good girth, semed strong but also a little emaciated. Aj and I walked over to it, the boa is 27 years old!! A snake dropped off by a person, for 27 years old that snake looked pretty darn good, I do not think it is emaciated at all. How many of us have seen a snake that old before? This was my first. There is also one animal per cage, this surprised me as a rare find in a pet store.

After further speaking to AJ he invited me into the back room to see a Honduran Boa, a beautiful snake. The cages in the back of the store were as clean as the cages in the front of the store. I even had the opportunity to hold their tame water monitor, AJ is excited about this one and he every right to. The water monitor was clean, strong, active, and tame. I checked this one for mites also, No Mites!!

Jim and his staff take care of their animals, sure the boa that was shipped had some mites, that has been established, but in the store now, there are none that I saw. I checked my hands and the cages for mites, I did not see any. I recommend this store to my friends, they were polite, friendly, and honest. The cages are beautiful as is their animals. I saw feeding charts in the back, I would not be surprised if there are cleaning charts also.

My observation has made it clear to me that JNJ blew this out of proportions, Jim's store is one I would be pleased to sell my animals too. They are good people and can be trusted, AJ was extremely nice, I am positive if JNJ had calmly and politely called AJ or Jim to go over this situation, they would have taken care of it.

Take this post as you will, I am satisfied, Jim has every right to be proud of his store, staff, and the BIG welcome sign. My position is he is a good guy.

Old 01-29-2006, 12:25 AM   #57
Jungle Gems
Michael- Thank you for the first-hand insight and for making your personal account of the store public on this thread.

I would like to say that we have done business with Jim Alles twice (once early last year via Prehistoric Pets and once recently via ReptileGuru.com) and in both instances the animals we received were packed extremely well, arrived alive and healthy, and have been thriving ever since.

Jim- If you are reading this, that little monitor we recently received is doing beautfully and eats like a monster.

We haven't had the privelege of viewing the store in person, but I sure hope that one day this will be possible if Dan and I are ever out in California.

Thanks for everything, Jim. We will certainly be going to you for future purchases.

Old 01-29-2006, 12:59 AM   #58
TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamco
your own words earlier in the thread show Jim thinking that canceling the deal (put another way, "not shipping a mite-infested snake") was proper, and you saying "No, ship it". Now you want to warn others, blaming Guru for your choice.
Nicely put Chamco. That, IMO, is the essence of the matter.

Old 01-29-2006, 01:37 AM   #59
hhmoore
jnj - how can you be so sure that this snake was never treated? Sadly, I have had my collection exposed to mites on a number of occasions over the years...and one thing that I have learned is that there is no such thing as instant eradication. Any time I have had to treat things, regardless of what treatment method was used, I was still able to find mites after a day or two (frequently in amazingly high numbers, as mentioned earlier). Dealing with mites, as you yourself have admitted is a process, not a single event. Therefore, I just don't understand the vehemence of your claim that reptileguru did not treat the snake before shipping. Frankly, after everything I have read on this thread, I am inclined to believe that they did.

Old 01-29-2006, 10:40 AM   #60
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Take this post as you will, I am satisfied, Jim has every right to be proud of his store, staff, and the BIG welcome sign. My position is he is a good guy.
You are more than likely right. The way he presented himself here also suggests the same thing. He also understood where some people were coming from when they told him that shipping a snake with mites was not the right decision. Anyone proud of his facility understands really fast that an animal that’s shipped from there represents his business and the way he cares for his animals. It doesn’t matter if the buyer accepts or not the conditions of the animal previous to shipping or if the animal never entered the store. It’s his business name that’s on the line. But even more important than the “business” side of it is welfare of the animal. Aside from the transmission of IBD (a huge problem in itself), mites constitute a stress for any reptile. Snakes in particular are known to spend prolonged periods of time submerged in water to ease the discomfort of the mites. By shipping an animal with mites we subject it to a huge stress. Just imagine an animal bagged for approximately 15 hours together with blood sucking parasites with no chance of relief whatsoever. When the stress of shipping and change to a new environment is compounded with that of the mites it’s easy to see how the immune system can be compromised. This can make the animal more susceptible to contract other ailments. in short, a big no-no from a business as well as an animal health standpoint. Having said this it has to be reiterated that he immediately recognized it had been a wrong decision, and he was willing to rectify it with a refund. We can talk and write all we want, but its how someone addresses a problem when it appears that reflects a person’s true character.

Regards

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!