EMERGENCY BLACK THROAT VET APPOINTMENT - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
Chris Wilkinson
EMERGENCY BLACK THROAT VET APPOINTMENT

My baby Black Throat Monitor has been with me since July and he’s been going through the normal adjustments and stress. He has finally stopped running when I come in and started to act like a normal monitor. I keep a detailed log to ensure I do not miss anything.
I noted the following at 201109081625 he was basking at the top of the retes stack I opened his cage and he did not run but did take several hard tail whips at my hand. He then did a small charge so I left him with a win by me leaving. The next day I noticed a small indentation about one inch from the tip of the tail, the tail had a small bend in it I documented the find at 201109091845 and left it along. The following morning I had him scheduled for 1 hour soak. I got him out of his cage and placed him in some warm water while I cleaned his cage. I noticed on one side of the bump it look red and inflamed. I document this on 201109101145. I became concerned at that point and decided to do a complete work up but nothing else to report. At 201109112000 I noticed the bump was inflamed and redder. I moved up the tail and at 1.25 inches above the bump was another area that seemed red and looked like it was bleeding further up the tail another .25 inches the same find. Now I’m in full panic mode as I feel he is now starting to develop an infection of some kind. No vets in my area have any experience with large reptiles. I finally find one Monday Morning 1.5 hours away.
I took the day off and took him into the vet. I told him I wanted a complete physical workup so two hours later and $525.00 (wife not happy at all) this is what we found out. His x-ray showed his tail bones were okay, he did have a small injury at the 1 inch mark but nothing else seemed wrong further up. We did a complete parasite culture and found out he did have a small parasite also. Everything else checked out okay weight and measurement all were as expected, eyes, breathing and heart were all fine and his overall skin showed no signs of shred built up anywhere. So last night I started him on antibiotics once every other day for 4 weeks and I will start his parasite treatment today. I will keep up this regiment until he is healed. One good thing for me was when the vet picked him up he defecated all over him (very funny) but he did show me he was a male. Anyone else have this happen to a tail and what was the outcome. I do not want this to get to the point where this goes to an amputee surgery.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
TheFragginDragon
I haven't had that kind of injury to a monitor, but I know all too well the routine of administering antibiotics. Are you doing injections, or oral? I've learned that I'd rather do injections than oral any day of the week. Getting a monitor to open it's mouth when it doesn't want to is definitely a task and a half .

Best of luck with his recovery!

Old 09-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
James.w
The injury was probably cause from him whipping his tail at you. Lesson - leave him alone. Monitors do not need to be soaked if their enclosure is set up properly. Do you mind sharing how you have him set up? What are you giving antibiotics for? Parasites are very common in WC/farmed monitors and other reptiles for that matter.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
Chris Wilkinson
Quote:
Originally Posted by James.w View Post
The injury was probably cause from him whipping his tail at you. Lesson - leave him alone. Monitors do not need to be soaked if their enclosure is set up properly. Do you mind sharing how you have him set up? What are you giving antibiotics for? Parasites are very common in WC/farmed monitors and other reptiles for that matter.
James, wounder what lesson. As of today I have requested info from several Monitor sites regarding handling of the black throat monitor? to date 78 have responded with the follow analysis 8718% stated they handle their black throats regularly and feel it the only way to tame them. 1282% stated leave them alone of those 4% stated they only want a animal for viewing not as a pet. Of those I feel they are afraid of their monitor. Please add your voice would like to here what worked for you?

Antibiotics - This was for the swelling and redness that was moving up his tail for the injury. Redness and swelling now gone tail almost looks normal. I will keep him on this regiment until completed. parasites are common and with pancur should be eliminated. I have had enough herbivores to know their is a relationship between parasites and digestion but I do not believe one exists for meat eaters.

To answer your question on my husbandry here we go: I have him in a 75 gal tank, I have the top made of wood with vents and lamp wholes. I worked with the venting till I could hold a constant 65% hummity. I have a modified RETES stack w/top temp 140 & the bottom 120. Ambient temp 84.5 cool end 80.5, I have him on 8" of forest mulch and alaska glacier soil 70/30 mix. I have a buried hide box that holds a constant 78.5 temp. I feed him a insect diet even days i.e., super meals worms, snails, krill, earth worms, catapillars, and grasshoppers. Old days I feed him 2 to 3 small pinkies and a 1/4 hard build egg I supplement as required. I'm building him a room in my barn his enclosure will be 120L X 62W X 52H, I will have two enclosures built one on top of the other. the ground level will be for my 100 Sulcata Tortoise.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
James.w
Of those people you asked, how many of them were handling baby black throats? Monitors tend to do better when left alone when young and once they grow to trust you handling is more tolerable. What sites did you post these questions on? Personally I have a water, yellow, and Savannah monitor, I handle none of them. My Savannah will come to my hand but does not want to be picked up, my water will let me be near him, but cannot touch or even motion towards him without him running off. My yellow runs and hides almost as soon as he sees me.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
Chris Wilkinson
RESPONSE TO JAMES

Quote:
Of those people you asked, how many of them were handling baby black throats? Monitors tend to do better when left alone when young and once they grow to trust you handling is more tolerable. What sites did you post these questions on? Personally I have a water, yellow, and Savannah monitor, I handle none of them. My Savannah will come to my hand but does not want to be picked up, my water will let me be near him, but cannot touch or even motion towards him without him running off. My yellow runs and hides almost as soon as he sees me.
I eliminated the none monitor responses. My friends Savannah will run to him and sleep on the coach with him while he watches TV. I agree with some species of Monitors i.e., Water Monitors except maybe the ornate. Here is a brief run down; week one: he was shipped to me on 28 July 2011 (5 months old) would run every time the door opened. I started to hydrate him once a week and handled him for 20 min after the soak. Week three he did a great tail whip but did not object once I picked him up. While removing shred he bite me on the finger. Week 5 (AUG) he no longer runs when I enter the room but will run to his hide box if I open his cage. Week 8 No longer runs when I enter or open the cage will run if I attempt to touch him. I continue to soak and handle for 20. Very few tail whips but did one and got injured but no biting. Week 10 Sep will not run at all and will let me touch him in the cage for a few min then will move away. still soaking and handling for 20 min. Week 14 October will not run and will allow me to touch him. I've been trying to get him to eat of the forecepts but no luck. I will continue on this slow pace until he comes to me to be picked up and let out of his cage maybe by the summer. I like more interaction between my the animals I care for. Not to say your way is better or worse it's what works for you. Thanks for the comments

Old 11-29-2011, 07:17 PM   #7
Chris Wilkinson
I see your point now!

Quote:
Okay, James based on my own monitor responses I have change my approach. He never seems to settle down while I handle him. I have spoken to quite a few and all say the same thing just keep handling him and he will get used to it. I do not think he will get used to it. I have moved to more petting and leave him alone when i see he stsart to get stressed. he will get up but will not run. I can work with him and he seemed more relaxed now that he knows I'm not going to pick him up. I will not follow the force handling logic. Not quite the way you work with yours but I see your point now. Thanks

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!