Black Throat Monitor shedding question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
Chris Wilkinson
Unhappy Black Throat Monitor shedding question

just wondering if I'm over reacting here. just got confirmation he is closer two 6 months@29 1/2 inches long and eating like a big. He is very active and tears up his cage daily.

My question is when he sheds you can see his new scales have a red to orange tinge to them in some areas. I make sure all skin is removed till he get mad and/or bites me sometimes. When my vet looked at his injured tail a (525.00) visit in conjunction with the redness he but him on some anti biotics. I was more worried about an infection getting hold of him.

Does anyone with a Black throat see the same thing when they shed. He seems to be in a constant state of shed. He was 14 inches when I got him three months ago and he has more then doubled that now and it seems he is heading for another growth spell. I soak him weekly for one hour, his basking area is 120 to 140, ambiant 84.5 cool end 80. I have him in a 75 gal tank with a modified wooden top to keep in the humidity which i keep at 65% to 75%. he also has a mix of forest mulch/lizard earth 8 inches deep. He has access to a water bowl. His enclsure and water are changed daily.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
Gatorhunter1231
Pics are worth a thousand words

Old 12-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
DrainT
Does your black throat keep the colors after he sheds or do they go away after a while? If it is what i am thinking it is just part of his skin color. I have seen a few different Black throats that come in with red and orange color to their necks and the side of their body. It should be nothing to worry about if he is healthy and all. My black throat is always in constant shed too and she gets irritated when i have her and picking her dead skin off but its just normal.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!