Information on selling venom - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
robert1trucker
Information on selling venom

My son lives in Tn. He's interested in milking venomous snakes and selling the venom for madicinal/antivenom purposes. Does anyone have any information or where I could find information on this pertaining to the laws of Tn, and any lead to someone buying the venom???? Any information would help. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #2
starwarsdad
I have not checked in nearly 20 years, but to my knowledge, hots are out for TN residents. TN has fairly restrictive laws. No native species may be kept. Although, I know of several people that keep and breed corns without any hassles from Fish and Wildlife.

Best of luck!

Old 01-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
Tim Cole
You are

not to far from the Kentucky Reptile Zoo. Jim Harrison is the owner and has been milking for years. It's an expensive set-up and requires hundreds of snakes.
I would suggest visiting Jim and seeing his set-up to be able to make an informed decision. He is very knowledgeable on the subject and a nice guy to talk to.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:41 PM   #4
Hack the Maniac
I've wondered about this before. Is there any market in it in your area Tim?

Old 01-03-2008, 12:35 AM   #5
Tim Cole
It's a tight

market. I assist by sending a few dozen atrox a year to Jim.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:45 PM   #6
ChuckHurd
I basically live in TN. Physically 2.3 miles south of Chattanooga, just over the GA line. I extract and sell venom. Couple things, all venomous snakes are completely outlawed in TN. There is a Class 1 permit on the books, but the chief enforcement officer is a guy named Walter Cook and he is not going to issue that permit to anyone other then a zoo and if he could get his way, I think he would retract theirs. Second thing, there is no market for snake venom. If its going to be used for human testing or in the production of a medicine, it falls under the authority of the FDA and he would have to have an FDA inspected and approved lab. He would be looking at a six figure investment. Jim Harrison, Bill Haast, and George VanHorn, more then meet the entire world's demand for venom. There is no room for a start up in the market. I moved my self and my operation to another state to circumvent the laws. you son will have to do that as well if he wants to keep venomous snakes. i can supply venom for research or animal testing without FDA involvement, but the market is VERY limited. I keep the snakes for my enjoyment, breeding, and educational displays. Since i already have them, selling the venom is a side note....but there is just no way he will come out if he is attempting to build a collection and operation based only on the venom sells. if your soon is near east TN, have him look me up. i will be happy to get him stated...will even teach him how to do the venom extractions, but he just needs to know up front....there isn't money in it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!