Something to ponder..... - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you use this hypothetical stuff?
Yes 15 26.79%
No 37 66.07%
Not sure or maybe, explain below. 4 7.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2005, 11:00 PM   #61
Dennis1
I do this most of the time so the quotes arent taken out of Context

Old 09-20-2005, 06:36 PM   #62
crotalusadamanteus
Thanks Dennis, and Karen for that bit of info. Basically, you manually give it the command, insert the text, and end command.

As for them "pro's" (that was sarcasm BTW) that I saw in Clearwater, TX. I would call their careless handling the only reason I saw any bites. They had a race to see how many rattlers they could "speed/hand" capture and put into a bag, in X amount of time. In a plexi enclosure, on the their knees. Just plain STUPIDITY IMHO. That's the only time I can say I was glad that a person got tagged. But I doubt they learned anything from it.

Ciao,
Rick

Old 09-20-2005, 06:48 PM   #63
Dennis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
Thanks Dennis, and Karen for that bit of info. Basically, you manually give it the command, insert the text, and end command.

As for them "pro's" (that was sarcasm BTW) that I saw in Clearwater, TX. I would call their careless handling the only reason I saw any bites. They had a race to see how many rattlers they could "speed/hand" capture and put into a bag, in X amount of time. In a plexi enclosure, on the their knees. Just plain STUPIDITY IMHO. That's the only time I can say I was glad that a person got tagged. But I doubt they learned anything from it.

Ciao,
Rick
You should have taken video
Worlds most dumbest...would have probably paid you for it...lol

Old 01-25-2006, 11:03 PM   #64
Skunky
I'm an absolute newbie to herping, so my $0.02 really isn't even worth that though. I must say, honestly, that some of the most beautiful snakes out there are hots (eg. Gaboon vipers, green mambas, copperheads). If these snakes were non-venomous, I know I'd look to have them in my collection any day..they're gorgeous -- and I'm sure some folk out there may or may not agree?

Not that I'm condoning anything, just my perspective. Take it for what it is.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:08 PM   #65
Vinny D
I would never use it. In my own opinion, i think if your going to have a venomous snake it should be venomous. If people have viods, they are going to hold them. And that is not respecting the animals. A venomous snake's natural history is their venom, why do people want to take that away? I dont know, but this was a very intresting thread. Thanks for reading.

Vinny

Old 04-27-2006, 11:17 PM   #66
Vinny D
DENNIS1, When i started on fauna it wasent pretty. A lot of back and fourth fighting, but why it all started was because i came off wrong to these guys. But they are really cool people with a lot of GREAT information to share and receive. So, dont worry about it. Beleve me i took a lot of hard core posts that i DID deserve. And so far everything has calmed down. And thats the way it should be, just simple herp talk lol.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:37 PM   #67
ChuckHurd
sometime back, i posed the questions, what is we could "breed" voids. for example a cane drops a littler and some of the off spring are born without venom glands. then from those we could breed a line of natural voids using line breeding, just as we do with albinos. seems most were opposed to that idea as well. seems that most who choose to work with venomous, do not want to alter their nature by any means.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:53 PM   #68
devenomized
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonCharm
After hearing about the possible issues with venomous snakes digesting food I'd have to say no myself. Hadn't really thought of that in the past and didn't know it was an issue.
It's not an issue on all snakes. Gaboons, Cobras, Crotalids, Mambas, and a much more have no issues. Those that "might" have issues, you will not see them sold as venomoids for two reasons A) they will die or B) 0 return on investment.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:09 PM   #69
devenomized
I've been too busy to keep track of what some adults and kids are saying about this topic here at Fauna. The discussion never seems to end, but the fact is simple. Venomoids will continue until nobody buys them.

There isn't a drug out there that will render a venomous snake nonvenomous and there isn't a venomoid gene. Nice way to start a flame fest about venomoids by introducing the hypothetical stuff.... very clever!

But i'll make you happy and respond: If there was such drug, the company behind its distribution will make a lot money. If this drug is available to any DVM and no law prohibits its application as a cosmetic procedure, people will begin scheduling visits to have their venomous snakes treated with this "drug". Now, if this drug becomes affordable, forget about it. You won't have hundreds of venomous reptile owners and herp enthusiasts interest in this new phenomenum, but THOUSANDS of people. Of course, you will always have the PETA lovers, the Animal activists, the Darwins and others as we've seen here that will debate this issue until there is no tomorrow, but the bottom line is that the drug will be a huge success assuming it does NOT get banned for "ethical issues".

Another interesting point will be to consider the cost of venomoids vs hots. Assuming you have a group of DVMs with several years of experience performing adenectomies and ductectomies to venomous snakes and they now would like to offer their services to reptile owners at no cost. How many venomous reptile owners or reptile enthusiasts WILL schedule the time to have their animals surgically altered if it won't cost anything to have this done by a licensed DVM? The known fact is that a venomous Gaboon will cost $85 at a reptile table, but the venomoid twin will cost about 3 to 4 times that amount. A $400 price tag may seem irrational for some people who were considering a venomoid, but if that price tags drops to only 100 bucks, what do you think will happen? What do you think will happen if venomoids are available at a reptile show for the same cost of venomous? Do you think other venomous reptile vendors will see a negative impact in their gross sales of venomous snakes? Think about it? Trust me. Here at fauna it may give the impression that reptile enthusiasts are all together and fighting against the minority of people who would consider venomoids, but the reality is that the real minority can only be found here discussing hyphotetical stuff.

Have a good day!

DEVENOMIZED.COM
... but we still got fangs!

Old 06-12-2007, 02:15 PM   #70
devenomized
If you are interested in debating or discussing this issue in person assuming you are an adult willing to accept different subjective opinions, I'm looking forwarding to meeting you at the next Hamburg show. Until then, feel free to contact me. Don't worry I don't bite, I've been devenomized.

DEVENOMIZED.COM
... but we still got fangs!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!