"Heart Healthy" Recipes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen

Notices

Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen Whats Cooking: A cooking forum designed for fauna members to share recipes and other culinary delights with each other. Bon Appetit!

Old 02-22-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
polasian
"Heart Healthy" Recipes

After hearing the news (http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...&postcount=109) I figured we can share some healthy recipes.

I looked up several "heart healthy" recipes...however, I decided not to post them. They all seem to be contradictory to what is and isn't healthy. Although the ingredients seem to be appropriate, the nutritional analysis (per serving) aren't. For example, some of them were 350-450 calories per serving?!?!?!

So I contacted a few friends whos husbands have heart disease. I want to hear it from the horses mouth. There is no question that they have fine tuned their recipes FAR better than many articles you will find on the net. They cook for their husbands who they want to keep around for a very, very long time (well, in most cases anyway ). I think people in their situations, can provide us with some mind blowing recipes that are both healthy and delicious. I'll post their recipes once I receive them.

If you know of any healthy recipes (which accommodate individuals with heart disease) then please post them .

For now, I found this pretty good article on what ingredients should and shouldn't be used. What I think is especially helpful are the charts that they provide. Sometimes its difficult to figure out which ingredients fall within the "healthy" or "unhealthy" categories. Even if you figure that out, its still confusing to try and find healthy substitutes to use. This article seems to touch base on that dilemma pretty well.

(Disclaimer...This is obvious, but I'll say it anyway. For those with heart disease...if this thread generates some health conscious recipes that you might want to try...(prior to stuffing yourself) be sure to ask your doctor if these are right for you.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hea...y-diet/NU00196

Quote:
Heart-healthy diet: 7 steps to prevent heart disease
Changing your eating habits can be tough. Start with these seven strategies to kick-start your way toward a heart-healthy diet.

By Mayo Clinic staff

Although you might know eating certain foods can increase your heart disease risk, it's often tough to change your eating habits. Whether you have years of unhealthy eating under your belt or you simply want to fine-tune your diet, here are seven heart-healthy diet tips. Once you know which foods to eat more of and which foods to limit, you'll be on your way toward a heart-healthy diet.

1. Limit unhealthy fats and cholesterol.
Of the possible changes, limiting how much saturated and trans fat you eat is the most important step you can take to reduce your blood cholesterol and lower your risk of coronary artery disease. A high blood cholesterol level can lead to a buildup of plaques in your arteries, called atherosclerosis, which can increase your risk of heart attack and stroke.

The American Heart Association offers these guidelines for how much fat and cholesterol to include in a heart-healthy diet:

The best way to reduce saturated and trans fats in your diet is to limit the amount of solid fats — butter, margarine and shortening — you add to food when cooking and serving. Use low-fat substitutions when possible for a heart-healthy diet. For example, top your baked potato with salsa or low-fat yogurt rather than butter, or use low-sugar fruit spread on your toast instead of margarine. You may also want to check the food labels of some cookies, crackers and chips. Many of these snacks — even those labeled "reduced fat" — may be made with oils containing trans fats. One clue that a food has some trans fat in it is the phrase "partially hydrogenated" in the ingredient list.

When you do use fats, choose monounsaturated fats, such as olive oil or canola oil. Polyunsaturated fats, found in nuts and seeds, also are good choices for a heart-healthy diet. When used in place of saturated fat, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats may help lower your total blood cholesterol. But moderation is essential. All types of fat are high in calories.

If you're not sure which fats or oils to use when cooking or baking, use this guide:

2. Choose low-fat protein sources.
Lean meat, poultry and fish, low-fat dairy products and egg whites or egg substitutes are some of your best sources of protein. But be careful to choose lower fat options, such as skim milk rather than whole milk and skinless chicken breasts rather than fried chicken patties.

Fish is another good alternative to high-fat meats. Some types of fish — such as cod, tuna and halibut generally have less total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol than do meat and poultry. And certain types of fish are heart healthy because they're rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which can lower blood fats called triglycerides and may reduce your risk of sudden cardiac death. You'll find the highest amounts of omega-3 fatty acids in cold-water fish, such as salmon, mackerel and herring. Other sources are flaxseed, walnuts, soybeans and canola oil.

Legumes — beans, peas and lentils — also are good sources of protein and contain less fat and no cholesterol, making them good substitutes for meat. Substituting soy protein for animal protein — for example, a soy burger for a hamburger — will reduce your fat and cholesterol intake.

To help you decide which high-protein foods are best, use this guide:

3. Eat more vegetables and fruits.
Vegetables and fruits are good sources of vitamins and minerals; they are low in calories and rich in dietary fiber. A diet high in soluble fiber, the kind found in fruits and vegetables, can help lower your cholesterol and reduce your risk of heart disease. Vegetables and fruits also contain substances found in plants that may help prevent cardiovascular disease. Eating more fruits and vegetables may help you eat less high-fat foods, such as meat, cheese and snack foods.

Featuring vegetables and fruits in your diet may not be as difficult as you might think. Keep carrots, cauliflower and broccoli washed and cut in your refrigerator for quick snacks. Keep apples, bananas, grapes or peaches in a bowl in your kitchen so that you'll remember to eat them. Choose recipes that have vegetables or fruits as the main ingredient, such as vegetable stir-fry or fresh fruit mixed into salads. Even frozen or canned fruits and vegetables are good choices, provided they don't have lots of added sodium or sugar. Don't smother vegetables in butter, dressings, creamy sauces or other high-fat garnishes.

This guide can help you sort out which fruits and vegetables offer the most health benefits:

4. Select whole grains.
Whole grains are good sources of fiber and other nutrients. Whole grains are also a source of vitamins and minerals, such as thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin E, magnesium, phosphorus, selenium, zinc and iron. Various nutrients found in whole grains play a role in regulating blood pressure and heart health.

You can increase the amount of whole grains in a heart-healthy diet by making simple substitutions. For example, choose breads made from 100 percent whole grain instead of those with refined white flour, whole-wheat pasta over regular pasta and brown rice instead of white rice. Select high-fiber cereals for breakfast, such as bran flakes, oats, or shredded wheat, instead of sugar-sweetened cereals, muffins or doughnuts. And select whole-wheat flour rather than white flour for baking at home.

Another easy way to add whole grains to your diet is ground flaxseed. Flaxseeds are small brown seeds that are high in fiber and omega-3 fatty acids, which can lower your total blood cholesterol. You can easily grind the seeds in a coffee grinder or food processor and add them to your diet by stirring a teaspoon of them into yogurt, applesauce or hot cereal.

Use this guide to help you choose cereals, breads, rice or pasta:

5. Reduce the salt in your food.
Eating a lot of salt can contribute to high blood pressure, a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Reducing the salt in your food is an important part of a heart-healthy diet. The American Heart Association recommends that healthy adults eat less than 2,300 milligrams of sodium a day (about a teaspoon).

You might think the best way to cut back on salt is to stop reaching for the shaker. True, but don't forget about the processed foods. Although reducing the amount of salt you add to food at the table or while cooking is a good first step, much of the salt you eat comes from canned or processed foods, like soups and frozen dinners. Eating fresh foods and making your own soups and stews can reduce the amount of salt you eat. If you like the convenience of canned soups and prepared meals, look for ones with reduced sodium. Some brands offer the same soups or meals you already eat with as much as 40 percent less sodium.

Another way to reduce the amount of salt you eat is to choose your condiments carefully. Reduced-sodium ketchups and soy sauces are available. Instead of regular table salt, reach for a salt substitute or other herbs and spices that can flavor your food. If using a salt substitute or reduced-sodium condiment, it is still important to use it sparingly. The amount of salt, although reduced, adds up quickly.

Use this guide to help you choose lower salt alternatives:

6. Practice moderation.
In addition to knowing which foods to eat, you'll also need to know how much you should eat. Overloading your plate, taking seconds and eating until you feel stuffed can lead to eating more calories, fat and cholesterol than you should. Portions served in restaurants are often more than anyone needs. Keep track of the number of servings you eat — and use proper serving sizes — to help control your portions.

A serving size is a specific amount of food, defined by common measurements such as cups, ounces or pieces. For example, one serving of pasta is 1/2 cup, or about the size of an ice cream scoop. A serving of meat, fish or chicken is 2 to 3 ounces, or about the size and thickness of a deck of cards. Judging serving size is a learned skill. You may need to use measuring cups and spoons or a scale until you're comfortable with your judgment.

A heart-healthy diet is also about balance. A simple rule of thumb is to remember to keep your portion size for meat, poultry and fish about the size of a deck of cards. This makes room on your plate for servings of vegetables, fruits and whole grains.

Allow yourself an indulgence every now and then. Don't let it turn into an excuse for giving up on your healthy-eating plan. If overindulgence is the exception, rather than the rule, you'll balance things out over the long term. What's important is that you eat healthy foods most of the time.

7. Plan ahead: Creating daily menus.
You know what foods to feature in your heart-healthy diet and which ones to limit. Now it's time to put your plans into action.

Create daily menus using the six strategies listed above. When selecting foods for each meal and snack, emphasize vegetables, fruits and whole grains. Choose lean protein sources and limit high-fat and salty foods. Watch your portion sizes and add variety to your menu choices. For example, if you have grilled salmon one evening, try a black bean burger the next night. This helps ensure that you'll get all of the nutrients your body needs. Variety also makes your meals and snacks more interesting.

Incorporate these seven tips into your life, and you'll continue to find that heart-healthy eating is both doable and enjoyable. With planning and a few simple substitutions, you can eat with your heart in mind.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:06 AM   #2
tinmantribe5
Nicholas Nicholas my friend you have way to much time on your hands in the time it took me to read all this my ADD kicked in and I started spinning circles in my desk chair! HA HA
You are a good Egg!

Old 03-11-2010, 03:12 AM   #3
tinmantribe5
I had a Heart Attack at age 36.............. I ate good for the first 3 years after and have been slippin off the Pig right into the big ole Red meat cow we all eat way to much of I am only saying this because I have a contractual obligation to Tom Turkey to start networking with Him and his Brother In Law the Chicken!

Old 03-23-2010, 03:34 AM   #4
polasian
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinmantribe5 View Post
Nicholas Nicholas my friend you have way to much time on your hands in the time it took me to read all this my ADD kicked in and I started spinning circles in my desk chair! HA HA
You are a good Egg!
LOL! It was a copy & paste job...not much effort involved . Oh and no , egg yolk is not good for individuals with heart disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinmantribe5 View Post
I had a Heart Attack at age 36.............. I ate good for the first 3 years after and have been slippin off the Pig right into the big ole Red meat cow we all eat way to much of I am only saying this because I have a contractual obligation to Tom Turkey to start networking with Him and his Brother In Law the Chicken!
...well, its great that you made it out ok! Could you maybe list one recipe that you enjoyed during those years of healthy eating?

Old 03-23-2010, 03:35 AM   #5
polasian
As stated in my initial post, I contacted several friends who's loved ones have heart disease (inquiring about heart healthy recipes). Unfortunately, they have yet to respond.

Instead, I'm posting a "healthy eating" resource, which I find to be very informative. There are no specific recipes here, however, they list 5 "Super Foods for Your Heart."

(on a side note, www.webmd.com seems to have a wealth of information regarding health, in general. It's worth taking a gander at )

http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/five...oods-for-heart

Quote:
Five Super Foods for Your Heart
Every heart-healthy diet should include these foods.

By Carol Sorgen
Reviewed by Brunilda Nazario, MD

Food for the Heart: Blueberries

This "powerhouse" tops the list, says Kathleen Zelman, MPH, RD/LD, WebMD's director of nutrition.

And Lisa Hark, PhD, RD, says, "Blueberries are not only delicious but are also rich in antioxidants." Hark is co-author, with Darwin Deen, MD, of Nutrition for Life: The No-Nonsense, No-Fad Approach to Eating Well and Reaching Your Healthy Weight.

According to the U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council, researchers believe that the antioxidants in blueberries work to reduce the buildup of "bad" LDL cholesterol in artery walls that contributes to cardiovascular disease and stroke. Studies conducted at the USDA Human Nutrition Center have found that blueberries rank No. 1 in antioxidant activity when compared with 40 other fresh fruits and vegetables. Antioxidants help neutralize harmful byproducts of metabolism called free radicals that can lead to cancer and other age-related diseases. Anthocyanin, the antioxidant that is thought to be responsible for this major health benefit, can also be found in blackberries, black raspberries, black currants, and red grapes.

Hark recommends a 1 cup serving of blueberries a day. Fresh, frozen, or dried, they can be added to cereal, muffins, or eaten by themselves.

Food for the Heart: Salmon

Zelman says she's a "huge salmon fan." "Salmon is widely available, affordable, fast, and easy." It's also one of the best sources of a "healthy fat" called omega-3 fatty acids.

Oily fish such as salmon (as well as mackerel, herring, and sardines) contain omega-3s, explains Hark. This fat is believed to reduce the risk of developing cardiovascular disease by lowering the levels of triglycerides in the body -- blood fats linked to heart disease and diabetes.

Research has also found that omega-3 fatty acids prevent blood clots by making platelets less likely to clump together and stick to artery walls, Hark adds.

"Blood vessels are also less likely to constrict, making the heart less vulnerable to life-threatening irregular heart rates," adds Deen.

The American Heart Association recommends eating at least two servings of fish (especially oily fish like salmon) at least twice a week; a serving is between 3 oz and 6 oz.

Food for the Heart: Soy Protein

Rich in omega-3 fatty acids, protein, vitamins, and minerals, soy protein is a good alternative for red meat, says Hobbs; it's also lower in fat and higher in fiber than many meat choices.

In people with high cholesterol, studies show that soy protein, when eaten with a healthy low-fat diet, lowers cholesterol. In fact, researchers found that people who ate a diet of several cholesterol-fighting foods lowered their cholesterol as much as people who took medicine.

Both the FDA and the American Heart Association encourage eating at least 1 oz (28 grams) of soy protein daily. You can get your soy from soybeans, soy nuts, soy milk, soy flour, energy bars, fortified cereal, tempeh, and tofu.

Food for the Heart: Oatmeal

Grandma may have known what she was doing when she served up her piping hot bowl of oatmeal every morning, says Kim Seidl, MS, RD, LD, spokesperson for the Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine. A half-cup daily serving of oatmeal contains only about 130 calories while delivering 5 grams of heart-healthy fiber that helps to lower cholesterol and keep body weight to a healthy level.

Another benefit of oatmeal is that it will fill you up and likely keep you filled until lunchtime, so you're not tempted by unhealthy snacks, says Peter Schulman, MD, a cardiologist at the University of Connecticut Health Center.

Oatmeal and other whole grains such as whole wheat, barley, rye, millet, quinoa, brown rice, and wild rice also help reduce the risk of diabetes, which in itself is a risk factor for heart disease, says Zelman.

It's important to use whole grains, not refined grains, says Zelman, "so you get the whole package." Refined or processed grains lose their nutrients and fiber.

You can get your whole grains in other forms besides oatmeal, Zelman adds, including whole grain breads and pastas.

The daily recommendation for fiber intake is between 21 and 38 grams, depending on your sex and age, according to the American Dietetic Association.

Food for the Heart: Spinach

This dark green, leafy vegetable (and its cousins such as kale, Swiss chard, broccoli, and collard greens) is high in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that may protect against cardiovascular disease; it's also a source of omega-3 fatty acids, says Suzanne Havala Hobbs, DrPH, MS, RD, clinical assistant professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Spinach is also rich in folate, says Hark, explaining that folate helps reduce the blood levels of the amino acid homocysteine. "An emerging risk factor for developing cardiovascular disease is a high level of homocysteine," says Hark, who recommends eating a cup a day of your favorite dark green, leafy vegetable.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #6
tinmantribe5
I will tell you Nicholas you really Bring joy to my day! You really are a Good Egg!
I will tell you when I went into the Hospital at age 36 I weighed 265 pounds stood 6 foot tall on a semi large body frame.I got out and started a testamonial diet of Turkey ground in place of hamburger,and a lot of boneless chicken breast. I would have to say I really liked a lot of boneless chicken cut up put into spagetti sauce with fancy pasta like twists,and any other fancy pasta I guess it would be called chicken ghoulash and a very green salad or fresh Broccoli.I really must say buy some beano for your Wife! Ha Ha just kiddin I was the real Stinker.Fat free cheese yes they make it I know because it cost 3.99 a small bag!
I really can not stress enough stop eating red meat every day that includes dairy fats included in all milks,cheeses and cottage cheeses wich are all very healthy in thier moderation.Try not to be a Butterton on your food,or Saltyliciouse switch to a butter spread that has less than 5 grams of fat per serving.I was a fast food junkie construction worker that neede to Grow up and take care of the Body God gave me.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:00 AM   #7
polasian
Excellent info, Shawn...thank you!

Old 03-26-2010, 02:09 AM   #8
Helenthereef
Here's something I didn't know before I had a cholesterol test and found I was way too high - shrimp and prawns are REALLY high in cholesterol.

And I thought I was eating so healthy too - all that delicious protein - who knew?

Stay off the shellfish

Old 03-26-2010, 02:17 AM   #9
wyldwurm
I don't have a recipe but I do have a tip for high cholesterol.

Last year I had a cholesterol count of 331. A heart attack waiting to happen. The doc tried everything, including diet and statins. Nothing worked and I hated the side effects of the statins.

There is an herb called "Gu-Gu lipid" which I take twice a day. In two months, my cholesterol is within normal range. When I mentioned the herb to my doctor she stated that a few of her other patients were also taking it with the same results.

Take good care of yourselves!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!