Thanksgiving dinner this week. How are you having your bird. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen

Notices

Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen Whats Cooking: A cooking forum designed for fauna members to share recipes and other culinary delights with each other. Bon Appetit!

Old 11-23-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
Randall Turner
Thanksgiving dinner this week. How are you having your bird.

Since thanksgiving is closing fast I thought I'd ask to see how you will be preparing your turkey, and if not turkey your ham.

We usually do the simple old school baked turkey and also a pineapple glazed ham (always do a big family get together Thanksgiving). This year I believe we are going to grill and smoke (applewood) the turkey while sticking with the pineapple glazed ham.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
Melinda
plain old oven roasting at my sisters house and a repeat of the same the day after at my house for leftovers. I may drive on over to your place to try that smoking bird. Sounds yummy!

Old 11-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
Focal
The same way I like my chicken.... FRIED!!!

Old 11-23-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
Casey Hulse
I have been salt curing for the last couple years, and we'll try it again this year. I think it seals the juices and concentrates the flavor really well.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
bsash
We deep fry our turkey. Talk about flavor, they are delicious.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
jfreels
We do our family Thanksgiving at our house for the families. This year I'm having Publix de-bone three small turkeys. One will be fried, one will be done in the smoker and the other traditional (just without bones).

This will be the biggest turnout for us this year since my sister and her family are coming from California. We're also doing a ham, HoneyBaked though.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
snowgyre
Turkey is overrated. I cook corned beef, simmered long and slow in pickling spices, with potatoes and cabbage leaves added at the end. It's absolutely divine and requires zero talent other than being able to hit the "on" button on a crock pot. ^_^

Old 11-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #8
BigTattoo
Turkey is overrated. I cook corned beef, simmered long and slow in pickling spices, with potatoes and cabbage leaves added at the end. It's absolutely divine and requires zero talent other than being able to hit the "on" button on a crock pot. ^_^

Sounds like a St. Patty's Day dinner to be served with green beer and Irish whiskey.

I have no family in the area and the wife is a veggie but Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because of the food. I keep it traditional with a salt brined turkey to keep it moist and it really helps preserve the flavor. Stuffed with homemade stuffing, very traditional stuffing nothing fancy with nuts and the like. Oven roast the turkey, which since I also love traditional left overs is usually on the order of 18 lbs. Along with the turkey is mashed potatoes and gravy, the stuffing, this year I also made acorn squash and candied sweet potatoes. What's a traditional T-day without a plethora of pies, pumpkin, butternut squash, pecan and shoo-fly all homemade.

Today the turkey carcass, bones and the less aesthically pleasing meat goes into the stockpot to make broth that will be used for my Grandma's recipe for pot pie. This is not like your Swanson's pot pies but more a turkey stew with lots of pototoes and veggies and homemade extra thick egg noodles.

I normally can eat pretty much for nearly 2 weeks from this meal until I am sick of turkey.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #9
Casey Hulse
salt curing

Anyone who has not tried it should.
Take 1 Tbsp Kosher or canning salt per 5lbs of turkey, rub it all over and inside, seal it in a lg. plastic bag and put in refer for 2-4 days, stuff and roast for 15-20min. per lb at 325.
The salt penetrates the meat slightly so no other salt is needed.
I think the salt forms a barrier that keeps the moisture/flavor in. We have done this 3 times, and it has worked great each time, the crispy skin gets eaten while I carve the turkey, yum!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!