unhealthy snake? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
scfords
unhealthy snake?

I picked up a baby rhino viper not long ago. It looked to me like it was going to shed with dull colors and hazed eyes. Its been close to two weeks with no change. It doesn't seem to have heavy mucus or a hard time breathing. Just looks unhealthy. Other than the take it to the vet, anyone got any ideas?
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
scfords
two days and no one has a comment/idea/suggestion? And I called the vet just to double check for hots and they gave me a "**** no". Which was expected.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
Helenthereef
You might want to post it in a different forum - maybe the venomous snakes discussion forum, it might get you a faster answer, This forum is great but seems to move quite slowly.
Good luck!

Old 11-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
scfords
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
You might want to post it in a different forum - maybe the venomous snakes discussion forum, it might get you a faster answer, This forum is great but seems to move quite slowly.
Good luck!
I did post in the venomous section but when I added pictures I reposted in the medical. Thanks for the support. I hope I can get him up to par.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
hhmoore
Another factor is once a post isn't "new", it tends to not get viewed. Many people do a good deal of their viewing from the the New Posts page, rather than scanning separate forums.

As far as the snake, it's hard to give good information based on a few pictures - especially if the quality of the images leaves the question What am I supposed to be looking at in this one? From the first two pictures, I can see that the snake has cloudy eyes; the other two...I have no clue. I've kept rhino vipers, and seen a lot of things with different snakes; but I don't like giving bad information...and without more details and clearer pictures, there really isn't much to say. (Heck, even with those things, a physical exam is a lot more revealing, IMO.)
I understand that you are looking for help; but it is difficult not to point out that, especially when dealing with venomous snakes, it is a good idea to sort out the vet thing before you have a problem. A lot of vets won't even look at exotics, and the number that will treat venomous is (not surprisingly) a whole lot smaller.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
scfords
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Another factor is once a post isn't "new", it tends to not get viewed. Many people do a good deal of their viewing from the the New Posts page, rather than scanning separate forums.

As far as the snake, it's hard to give good information based on a few pictures - especially if the quality of the images leaves the question What am I supposed to be looking at in this one? From the first two pictures, I can see that the snake has cloudy eyes; the other two...I have no clue. I've kept rhino vipers, and seen a lot of things with different snakes; but I don't like giving bad information...and without more details and clearer pictures, there really isn't much to say. (Heck, even with those things, a physical exam is a lot more revealing, IMO.)
I understand that you are looking for help; but it is difficult not to point out that, especially when dealing with venomous snakes, it is a good idea to sort out the vet thing before you have a problem. A lot of vets won't even look at exotics, and the number that will treat venomous is (not surprisingly) a whole lot smaller.
I wan't expecting any one to diagnose the snake for me, just if any one had any ideas for a snake that just seems to be unhealthy in general. I know the pictures don't show much, but really there isn't much to see, hazed eyes and faded colors. I knew the vet thing was proably a no go but (knock on wood) so far ive never had a sick/unhealthy snake until I bought this one that way. hopefully I can keep it eating and it recover on its own.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
hhmoore
What I'm seeing is a rhino with unimpressive coloration - not necessarily anything unusual about that, nor does that mean it is sick. The cloudy eyes can be due to a few different things, most of which will probably not go away on their own.
If you feel the snake is unhealthy, you should find a vet that will see it. (Actually, if you are going to keep hots, it's a good idea to find a vet that will see them anyway - in case you ever do have a problem.)

Old 11-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #8
hadenglock
From the looks of it (and this is merely by looking at the pictures) he could just be in shed. Keep in mind that rhinos are very sedientary animals and do not move much. Thus the shedding process may take a little longer than other snakes (this is just an assumption). In fact one of the biggest killers in rhinos (and gaboons) is constipation and obesity in captivity.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
hadenglock
Aside from what i said a vet visit should not be left out of the question.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #10
scfords
It died friday.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!